Terra Alta, WV trip (just west of Oakland, MD). Any public pistol ranges nearby?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 12, 2016
    Central MD
    Title says it...

Also, I'm a bit of a newbie to this fabulous community. Best practices for transport from MD to WV? I am going in June so I think their new carry laws will be in effect. Are they open carry to non residents?

Thanks in advance all!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not a lawyer but my understanding is open carry is legal for residents and non.

there is a rifle/pistol range in either new Germany or savage river state forests near deep creek.

let's just say I got pulled in wv last year with 3+ guns and tons of mags and ammo in back seat of pickup truck (had done a 3 gun match), trooper asked and I explained, and zero issues. though I still got the speeding ticket.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Savage River State Forest in MD is the closest one I can think of.
    I believe that is the home range of our Hooligan's.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Only public range I know of out close to Oakland is Savage Off of New Germany Road, probably 15 miles from Oakland on the way there from I-68

Jan 12, 2016
    Central MD
    Through extensive searching I also found Oak Flat Sports Ranges in Reedsville, WV which is about 15mi from Terra Alta. Might have to check that out too.

Thanks for the input all!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Why, I shoot out my back door all the time.

A number of us do. Heck, there are several private quarries and back yard shooting ranges around me. Gunfire is a common sound out here in the mountains. Locals don't give it a second thought.
    ;)

Last edited:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Central MD
    A number of us do. Heck, there are several private quarries and and back yard shooting ranges around me. Gunfire is a common sound out here in the mountains. Locals don't give it a second thought.
    ;)

This is in a private resort. I hear it all the time there too but that close might make some of the retired ancients a little poopy. Maybe not... who knows. Might just have to take a little walk in the woods :innocent0

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    This is in a private resort. I hear it all the time there too but that close might make some of the retired ancients a little poopy. Maybe not... who knows. Might just have to take a little walk in the woods :innocent0

Alpine Lake? They won't even let you shoot bb guns. Security even gave my 10yo and me a hard time about a children's bow and arrow. They said it was ok since it wasn't a compound bow.:crazy:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I think you have two choices:

1) Savage River State Forest, 127 Headquarters Lane, Grantsville, MD 21536
    2) Kelly Defense Solutions, LLC, 27 Durham Lane, Morgantown, WV 26508

Google maps says they're both about 50 minutes away from Terra Alta, WV, but my experience has been different. My In-Laws have a place at Alpine Lake (WV), and near Deep Creek Lake. I'll shoot at the Savage River State Park when I visit. It's 30 minutes to their Deep Creek property from Alpine lake and another 35 minutes from there to the Savage River State Park Range. So I'm experiencing about 65 minutes to get to Savage River from near the Terra Alta, of WV.

I'd go with Savage River, for the people.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

Well, in addition to the retired ancients (who would prob'ly like Florida better) there's the Tourons. Many of them are citified, PC indoctrinated and have sipped "Anti 2A Kool-aid". The sound of gunfire usually scares the bejesus out of them. :sad20:

In the mountains, we locals cling to our guns and religion.
    :thumbsup:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    As far as I remember, June 5th is when Constitutional carry goes in effect for WV. Residency doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom