• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's a great looking ChiCom SKS: the stock certainly has lots of character! Like mine, but yours has more metal finish.

I really like the safety set up on the SKS. The soldier can have his finger indexed away from the trigger, and instantly release the safety and be on the trigger when necessary. A small touch, but brilliant engineering. If it was ambidextrous, it would be the ergonomically perfect manual safety.

What next, you ask?

I recommend you order a genuine surplus M1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. They will ship it right to your front door.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Order a Service Grade for $695 plus $30 shipping: people are getting them in about 2 or 3 weeks right now. Also order ammo. Lots of ammo!

We can explain the ordering process. It really is easy.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I just bought one online. I love the beat to hell look. Gotta gets my SKS on.

Im going to mount a PU Scope to it I have had sitting in my safe for years.

COMMIE DMR!

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    I too like that beat to hell look.

Nate, I almost came to visit you again for another one, but my hunt for a beat to hell Garand or M14 has begun.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I too like that beat to hell look.

Nate, I almost came to visit you again for another one, but my hunt for a beat to hell Garand or M144 has begun.

A beat to hell Garand you just will not get from the CMP. You might find one at a gun show for twice the CMP price.

You might want to order a Field Grade from the CMP instead of a Service Grade. Field Grades are a little more worn, and should have older stocks. Many Service Grades come with brand new replacement stocks. Field Grades cost $595, $100 less than Service Grades.

Unfortunately for you, the Field Grades have been very nice recently. Not beat to hell.

M14s and M1As (one of the commercial civilian versions) were banned in Maryland under the new law last year. You can't get one legally in Maryland anymore.

But the CMP will ship that Field Grade Garand straight to your front door.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I just bought one online. I love the beat to hell look. Gotta gets my SKS on.

COMMIE DMR!

I'm surprised! I didn't think you swung that way: figured you for more practical hardware.

Anyone who likes beat to hell should love mine,

Attachments

• IMG_1349.jpg
      IMG_1349.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 126

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm surprised! I didn't think you swung that way: figured you for more practical hardware.

Ill make it practical for me, but purists and C&R people may not like it.

I plan on modifying mine, but im leaving the wood and metal alone. I want to find an OLD and worn AKM/SKS Leather Sling to accompany the SKS.

PU Scope (Ill have to inlet the Stock and drill the Receiver for that)
    Threaded Barrel for Suppressor Use
    Modify the Gas Block for Adjustable Gas
    Adding parts to stay 922r compliant (Possible Trigger Job)

I like this Cheek Rest too (My lord that scope mount it AWFUL!)

Brass%20Stacker%20SKS%20Scout%20Scope%20Mount%203.jpg

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Too bad about the m14. Makes me want to move out of Maryland. Garand it is then! Oh, and... That rifle is sweet!

Clandestine, that scope mount hurts my heart... (Single tear running down my cheek)

Just kidding. To each his own. Let me know when your project is complete. We can go shoot together.

Better yet, I belong to the AGC, and if any other members on this board that belong want to do an SKS meet up, I am game.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth

That's how my SKS looked when it came from Classic .

Before you futz with the front site try shooting with the bayonet extended. I believe like the Mosin rifles, the philosophy of use is with the bayonet fixed and extended.

I think if you have the 'milled receiver, trigger group, bolt cover', the /26\ cartoushe a low digit [4 or 5 with a letter prefix] you may have a 'sino-soviet' , assembled in china but machined in russia [or a russian state].

If you were so inclined you could put your #matching stock in the closet like I did, get a nos good condition soviet side sling stock and refinish that. Sounds like its a shooter.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    So...

Went to shoot the SKS again today. Seems the rifle is shooting high. Unfortunately I did not have a sighting tool. I shot 40 rds of Kentucky windage, and it seems to be about a foot high and a little to the left at 100 yds.

Another thing that I noticed is that the rifle seems to be ejecting brass straight up. The shells were bouncing off of the covered shooting pad, sometimes raining back down on me. Is this normal?

I just ordered the sighting tool, and 20 stripper clips. Hopefully I will be able to go back Thanksgiving Weekend.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I couldn't make it to the AGC this weekend: had to attend a surprise funeral (not a good thing). Hope to make it next Sunday, and definitely Thanksgiving weekend. I'll have at least one or two Garands, and perhaps I could bring my beat-to-hell SKS along, too. I only shot it once, and I recall a basketball size group somewhat to the right, but I didn't give it much of a chance. As I recall, the bore is good, the rifle is solid, it just has that been there, done that look.

I don't recall the ejection pattern of mine, but rifles have their individual quirks. One of my M1 carbines has the charming little habit of ejecting brass right into my forehead. One of my new Garands, the IHC likes to eject more or less straight up, but it shoots so well I forgive it.

I don't know much about SKSs, but ejection patterns on Garands are influenced by lubrication. A properly lubed Garand should eject out around 1:00 when fired semi-auto, with ejection shifting back around clockwise toward 4:00 or more as the rifle needs more lubrication. Single shots, and the eighth (last) round semi-auto should go around 3:00 or 4:00 also. That's because the forward-moving op rod flings the cases forward.

The SKS should probably be lubed/greased somewhat like a Garand. Any decent high-temperature grease, Tetra, Lubriplate, even Wal Mart Wheel Bearing grease. Just a light application on anything that slides, especially the bearing surfaces which the bolt/bolt carier rides on.

Anyone who actually knows about SKSs is welcome to chime in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom