• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    hmmm.

how far back do their handgun records go?

certainly one can go back far enough to pre-date their records. how would they know?

i dunno. I'm just hopeful that the new legislature and governor axe some of the more onerous requirements, like finger printing. I'd love for it all to go, but doubt that will happen.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Anyone know where I can get a complete parts list for an AR build? Contemplating making one on a budget. Like 600 bucks. I've seen it done on youtube. Just want to add another to the herd, no frills just looking to make a standard M4gery. Thanks...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Anyone know where I can get a complete parts list for an AR build? Contemplating making one on a budget. Like 600 bucks. I've seen it done on youtube. Just want to add another to the herd, no frills just looking to make a standard M4gery. Thanks...
    Not that difficult as I have built ones for less than $600. Using good but not premium parts. PSA yes, Noveske no. For triggers no hi-performance ones, just go for an ALG as that is the best regular trigger you can buy at less than $65. I suggest looking at complete uppers from PSA or locally from one of the supported venders. But to stay under budget you need an upper in the $350 or less area, that has a barrel that meets the letter of the law.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It would count, if you bought one. Problem is, if you built it, the MSP wouldn't yet have any record of it so they can't check the serial number against their database to verify your exemption.
    It doesn't need to be in the database. If you owned a pistol you bought 3 years ago in another state, and then moved here and wanted to get your HQL, that pistol would be legal to do so. 281 only says that you legally own a regulated firearm. It doesn't limit that to MD purchases. This would include any regulated firearm, not just a handgun

Exempt if

[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][FONT=&quot](6) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]LAWFULLY OWNS A REGULATED FIREARM[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Last edited:

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick
    If someone has a pre-SB281 lower, can that be built into a "normal" AR or does it have to be HBAR as well?? My buddy (yes, really) has a lower he bought before it went into effect but I don't think he has built it out to anything yet.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP hasn't said one way or the other AFAIK.

But, and I'm not advocating breaking any law, how would they know when the upper was purchased and if it was mated to the lower?

IANAL and not advocating breaking the law.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Last time some of us asked MSP, we got 2 answers of No Guidance so they couldn't say versus 1 answer of It's OK.

Personally, I would not build a banned configuration on any receiver right now.

thai

May 8, 2013
    SBR or AR pistol, barrel contour is irrelevant. Non-NFA rifle with a stock must be an HBAR. What constitutes an HBAR? Don't ask me. Don't even bother asking MSP for that matter.

ETA: If you go the SBR route, make sure OAL is >29". For a pistol, barrel length/OAL is irrelevant.

I was led to believe MSP is so inept that as long as the manufacturer stamps HBar on the rifle or it has "Heavy Barrel" in their literature describing the rifle. This worked for LWRCI.

Feb 28, 2013
    I was led to believe MSP is so inept that as long as the manufacturer stamps HBar on the rifle or it has "Heavy Barrel" in their literature describing the rifle. This worked for LWRCI.

Whatever you wanna call it, I sure ain't complainin'. It works for US, so I certainly wouldn't call it ineptitude.:D

thai

May 8, 2013
    If someone has a pre-SB281 lower, can that be built into a "normal" AR or does it have to be HBAR as well?? My buddy (yes, really) has a lower he bought before it went into effect but I don't think he has built it out to anything yet.

As long as the lower was attached to a banned upper once before 10/1/13. The subsequent rifle can be broken down and reattached to any banned upper purchased after 10/1/13 at any time later as desired.

How the Hell MSP proves that you didn't attach an impending banned upper to a pre sb281 lower is anyone's guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom