• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gerres26

Jun 21, 2010
    Ceciltucky
    Hi there, so i recently purchased a stripped lower with the intentions to just build up a Hbar. Now that I've been looking around online I see a lot of people are building their stripped lower into a pistol configuration. Am I ok just to go ahead and do that??
    I was thinking maybe a sig brace with like a 11.5" upper on it. Are there any legalities I need to know about before I would do this? Like overall length or anything like that.
    Thanks for any help

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No issues, build away.

OAL only comes into play if you want to build an SBR (29" min) or run a vertical grip (26" min) on your pistol build.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    OAL doesn't matter unless you want a VFG, in which case it must be >26". Barrel profile doesn't matter. As long as its a virgin lower receiver you're GTG.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Need to make sure your 77R doesnt specifically say HBAR at the top. I know of atleast one IP that is making you write HBAR or Pistol on the top of your 77R.

If your 77R was called out as HBAR, I personally would be hesitant to build into anything except and HBAR!!

gerres26

Jun 21, 2010
    Ceciltucky
    Thanks for all the quick replies!!
    My lower was registered as "other" so I should be good there. So the only thing to worry about is if I want a vfg I have to be above 26"oal correct?
    Building it in this configuration seems to give someone way more options than being stuck with an hbar.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Has to be over 26" for a VFG. Under 26" you can use a Magpul AFG, which is not classified by the BATFE as a VFG.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Just to add, to obtain 26" overall length you need an 11.5" barrel. Or a shorter barrel my work with a permanently attached muzzle device of some variety.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Just to add, to obtain 26" overall length you need an 11.5" barrel. Or a shorter barrel my work with a permanently attached muzzle device of some variety.
    Not quite... I have two with 10.5" bbls that are over 26" by using the Kak extended pistol buffer tube... ;) That is to the muzzle, no comp needed to reach the 26" mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom