• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    I mean with sending letters and such. I'm afraid they're just going to say that the only acceptable HBAR's are the ones on Colt Sporters. End of story. :sad20:

I wouldn't out it past them, but I can't see how they could do that. Especially considering other barrel profiles. And it would be contradictory to past advisories.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    I sincerely hope that the only HBAR I can sell after MSP's written response to the letter is not the Colt Sporter HBAR as the specifically named exception. Nice used one's are becoming hard to come by.

As of a several days ago SBRs did not need to be on the handgun rooster. We have been given a pass on that for years. Likewise we have been allowed copies of the Colt Sporter HBAR without regard to barrel length (16"-20"), with or without a flash hider, and collapsible or fixed stock. MSP has considered these to be sporting rifles. This has been a good thing. By forcing a ruling we risk loosing some or all of what we are currently being allowed.

Now the good news. State law has no concern with collapsible stocks, just folding ones (copycat evil feature). It has no concern with barrel length as long as it is over 16" and the rifle is over 29" (copycat if less than). It does concern its self with flash hiders (copycat evil feature). So it's going to come down to what is a heavy barrel in their eyes. Hopefully it will be what I have been told by the Licensing Division. It must not have the government profile that allows a grenade launcher and be at least 3/4" down its length. Then the rifle must not fail the copycat test.

There was a thread recently of a member having to do 77R paperwork on a pre-October 1 Colt barrel stamped HBAR purchased in Virginia after MSP came to his house last fall. If this goes badly we could be looking at a Connecticut type situation. However, I am hopeful MSP would want to avoid bringing that down on us and them by sticking with how things have been done and what they have said. My real concern is the law being changed next year by the Legislature to include the HBAR as an ALG. So in June and November we must vote out the senators and delegates in our districts that have taken away our constitutional rights. Find out who they are and follow the Maryland 2A threads for information.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I mean with sending letters and such. I'm afraid they're just going to say that the only acceptable HBAR's are the ones on Colt Sporters. End of story. :sad20:

Bingo! MSP will take the most restrictive position even if the law does not support it. Then it will be up to someone else to bankroll an effort to take it to court.

I wish people would start understanding that what is NOT illegal is legal. Why do people need to keep asking what is legal. Some police officers will give wrong opinions out of ignorance but I think many at the upper level, especially firearm related issues at MSP, will give wrong opinions out of malice because they are being directed to.

Little if anything good will come from clandestine's letter as it is written without some future legal challenge.

My prediction: 'Only a Colt Sporter HBAR as it came from the factory and marked as such is not banned/regulated' or something close to that will be MSP's response.

Just to be clear I will be ecstatic if I am proven wrong.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I have no plans to distribute the response unless someone asks.

I appreciate your efforts Clan. It is better to know the answers to specific questions sooner than to skirt the issues for as long as possible and have to (possibly) retroactively deal with a ruling down the road. Look at the PBJ and SBR/Pistol messes...

There is also the fact that these rulings/decisions/opinions will help guide the pending lawsuits potentially.

Count me in on the "need to know" group. I'm helping a few friends through acquiring their first firearms and any and all knowledge is welcomed.:thumbsup:

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Did you see the other stuff I posted in this thread though? I can't imagine they would change advisories... Because it's not the first time this stuff has been asked. Or should I just go buy another colt today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom