• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    H(eavy) Bar(rel) refers to weight not profile.

That would make sense but I'm not sure that's accurate (I actually don't think it is, at least in common vernacular). Anyone else care to weigh in (ba dum tss)? I'll check with the guys at engage tomorrow. They're always on top of things.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    H(eavy) Bar(rel) refers to weight not profile.

Since the definition is based on the Colt HBAR, the diameter between the barrel extension and the gas block needs to be larger in diameter than the section of barrel between the gas block and the muzzle, given that the forward part of the barrel is at least .750".

I honestly don't believe the MSP really care all that much or they would issue definitive guidance. My guess is that this is a can of worms they don't want to open because the the laws are so arbitrary, capricious, and ignorant of firearms that any public debate would make the administration look like complete idiots.

They know these firearms statistically aren't a crime issue, so until forced to do something it will be status quo...

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Since the definition is based on the Colt HBAR, the diameter between the barrel extension and the gas block needs to be larger in diameter than the section of barrel between the gas block and the muzzle, given that the forward part of the barrel is at least .750".

I honestly don't believe the MSP really care all that much or they would issue definitive guidance. My guess is that this is a can of worms they don't want to open because the the laws are so arbitrary, capricious, and ignorant of firearms that any public debate would make the administration look like complete idiots.

They know these firearms statistically aren't a crime issue, so until forced to do something it will be status quo...

Dream on. Can you say PBJ?

bowhunter020

Oct 16, 2013
    So someone could know an out of state individual and that person could buy a lower for themselves build it with a HBAR and then it could be sold cash n carry to someone in Maryland? What if the ar is not going to be chambered in .223

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    So someone could know an out of state individual and that person could buy a lower for themselves build it with a HBAR and then it could be sold cash n carry to someone in Maryland? What if the ar is not going to be chambered in .223

I believe it would still need to go through an FFL since the buyer/seller are in different states.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I believe it would still need to go through an FFL since the buyer/seller are in different states.

If it's cash and carry IN Maryland (ie, shotgun & rimfire), what makes a cash & carry (hbar AR) any different? Out of state FFL should be able to sell an HBAR to a MD resident on a NICS check.

The out of state FFL would be in full compliance with both states laws, using DE and PA as easy examples.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    the hypothetical in question, however, deals with an "individual", not a licensed dealer. if it's not an FFL, it has to go through one.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If I buy (as an individual) a 10-22 in PA (cash and carry from dealer), once its in MD I am legally allowed to sell it to another individual unless I have reason to believe they are prohibited.

Does this not also apply to an HBAR?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    If I buy (as an individual) a 10-22 in PA (cash and carry from dealer), once its in MD I am legally allowed to sell it to another individual unless I have reason to believe they are prohibited.

Does this not also apply to an HBAR?

I don't think there's there's any distinction between an HBAR and any other C&C rifle (except for how scary it looks!!!).

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    I think it can be problematic if the receiver was initially mated to an upper that would not be factory compliant with post 10/1 Maryland law.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Here is my letter to the MSP:

Maryland State Police
    Firearm Licensing Division
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    Phone: 410-653-4500
    Fax: 410-653-5441

Hello,

I am writing to request M.S.P. Technical Guidance on a subject in relation to Maryland Law (SB281).

As of 10/1/2013 ALL AR15 Rifles and Carbines were banned in Maryland and the ONLY exempted AR15 Variant is the Colt AR15 Sporter HBAR Rifle.

I ask for clarification because there is no "Official MSP Standard" on how to define a HBAR AR15. This is causing a great deal of confusion among Dealers and Buyers of Firearms which could lead to unintentional Criminal Firearms Violations in the State of Maryland.

Furthermore, I believe some technical guidelines will help guide Maryland Law Enforcement Officers to better understand the Law they may have to make enforcement decisions about.

Question #1

Is the Colt Sporter HBAR Rifle the ONLY HBAR that is exempted?

For example, would a HBAR AR15 Variant from Stag Arms, Windham Arms, or any other Manufacturer that puts a Heavy Barrel "HBAR" on their AR15 rifles qualify as an exempted "Colt Sporter HBAR Rifle"?

Question #2

Does the Rifle, Receiver, or Barrel of an HBAR AR15 have to be Marked and/or Stamped "HBAR" to qualify as an HBAR AR15 in the eyes of the Law?

Question #3

If other Manufacturers of HBAR AR15's are Legal then can you define how the Maryland State Police Firearms Division define the AR15 HBAR or "Heavy Barrel"?

For example, does the length or weight of the HBAR Barrel have any bearing on whether the Barrel constitutes an HBAR and what is the minimum diameter of a Barrel considered to be a HBAR?

For example, the Colt Sporter HBAR has 3 measurements in the Barrel

-Barrel Diameter under the Handguard (Behind the Front Sight Base or Gas Block) is generally .945" or larger

-Barrel Diameter under the Gas Block Seat (What the Front Sight Base or Gas Block fits over) is generally .745" or larger

-Barrel Diameter in front of the Gas Block Seat is generally .725" or larger

Can you confirm or clarify if the above specifications would be acceptable for MINIMUM DIMENSIONS to determine whether a Barrel is "HBAR" or not?

Question #4

Can an HBAR have Muzzle Threads to accept a Flash Hider, Muzzle Brake, or Sound Suppressor/Silencer (If Legally Registered with B.A.T.F.E.), and does having Muzzle Threads or a Muzzle Device disqualify a Barrel from being an HBAR since the threaded portion is only .500?

Question #5:

Does the Buttstock on the Rifle qualify or disqualify an AR15 from being classified as a HBAR?

For Example, does a HBAR AR15 have to have a Fixed Buttstock to be classified as a HBAR or can it have a Collapsible Buttstock?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely

Gunsmith

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have no plans to distribute the response unless someone asks.

:thumbsup:

Personally I'd like some set-in-stone answers. It takes the confusion away, and gives a better clue of how to fight some of this BS that's been laid upon us all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom