• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paladin

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Feb 23, 2011
    Time is of the essence as I want to make this decision before September 1 OBVIOUS REASON!

I have a number of both M&P and Ruger firearms 9mm, 38, 22 and22 wmr. Now I want a 45 in either Ruger SR1911 or M&P.

Ruger is more the John Moses Browning design but I also like the M&P full size.

Please Limit your comments to these two firearms.

thanks

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Never shot the M&P but have the sr1911. Had slight trigger creep when I first got it but a little work took care of that and now has a trigger pull of about 4.5. could have gone lower but I liked it there. Shoots very well with no problems

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I'm going to get flamed for this, but... I like my M&P45 way more than the 1911, especially with the APEX FSS and trigger kit. It is far superior in: ergonomics, reliability, capacity, and is easier to maintain. The 1911 of course is a classic, looks better, is fundamentally more accurate, and has a better trigger out of the box.

I don't personally have any experience with the Ruger 1911, but I'm sure it's like all the other mass produced 1911 offerings from the likes of S&W and Springfield.

8335d7f5-ee23-4d58-95e7-0ae8e309c9f4_zps836745fe.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If you don't have a 1911 then the SR1911 will round out the collection.

I have a 5" M&P Pro9 and 1911's. They are different guns in operation and shooting dynamics. The M&P sits low in the hand, subsequently recovers well for followup shots. However, the polymer frame doesn't dampen the recoil and give it the anchored feeling a steel frame 1911 has. I prefer the grip shape of the 1911 and modern renditions of this pistol do allow to sit low in the hand as well. The swell and additional thickness in the back of the M&P doesn't work well for me. So in 45 ACP, I imagine the M&P will be snappier and even less anchored feeling. I prefer the 1911.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    What do you plan to do with the pistol?

If it's for range use, tinkering and fun, I would get the SR1911. If for more of a HD or something similar, the M&P45.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The M&P is an attractive woman in a business suit. The Ruger is a bikini model. Take your pick.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Sounds like you are covered for self/home defense, so I am assuming this is a "round out the collection"/"range toy" purchase.

Everyone here knows I am a M&P fan (and have a M&P45, among several other M&P's), but I have to go with the 1911. No matter what I take to the range, I always end up bringing a 1911 also. A 1911 has never been my fastest, or most comfortable gun, but there's something about a 1911 with a nice trigger that never ceases to put a smile on my face. Plus, every American needs a 1911.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I have several M&P's and do have one in 45. I also have a couple 1911's in 45. If I had to pick one I would not be able to. Sorry, maybe you need to buy both!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As much as I love my M&P 45, there is something about a 1911 in .45ACP, with a 5" barrel.

The lesser caliber double-stack imposters are NOT 1911's.

Tough choice, so yeah - buy both if possible. :D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    m&p45-thr-brl-TLR1S-snow_ed.jpg
    get the m&p45.

1) reliability- the m&p will be the more reliable gun. The design is less picky in terms of maintenance. It's also built to feed pretty much any hollow point available. You can beat up an m&p and it'll still work. The 1911 won't be as forgiving.

2) accuracy- most likely both guns will outshoot you. I shoot better groups with my m&p45 than I do with any other gun(minus my sp22m3). The m&p45 is easily capable of a 2" 25 yd group with decent ammo. I'm not sure if the ruger would be more mechanically accurate or not, but it likely won't really make a practical difference.

3) capacity- 10+1 in the standard mag and you can always get the absurd looking 14 rnd mag. The 1911 is a single stack and gives up a few here

4) trigger- ehh, this is definitely going to go to the ruger for the win. The m&p factory trigger blows pretty hard. It's heavy, gritty, with a lot of overtravel and creep, but no noticeable reset. Burwell or apex are essentially a mandatory upgrade. I will say that since I tossed the apex kit in, the m&p trigger is very very good(it still doesn't really have a noticeable reset unless you're paying close attention). The 1911 trigger will be better.

5) complexity- the m&p is a modern striker-fired gun. It's got safety features, but they're all passive. The 1911 has the grip safety and external safety. The external safety is needed, given the nature of the trigger, on the 1911. If you have to shoot in a hurry or from different positions, not having an external safety or grip safety can be a good thing. Takedown is also simple on the m&p, since the recoil spring is captured and you can either press the trigger to release the sear or drop the sear with the yellow lever to remove the slide after flipping the takedown lever. 1911's are still easy to take down, but the m&p is definitely simpler and quicker.

in the end of the day you're looking at an old plum crazy hemi cuda or a new ford GT500 shelby super snake wide body. One has some tradition and cool factor, but its performance will come along with some tender loving care. The other is newfangled and lacks respect for its elders, but has probably better performance without having to treat it with kid gloves.
    Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG

Paladin

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Feb 23, 2011
    I want to thank most of you for your input. Some of it was really funny whether it was meant that way or not. AS for the guys who said buy BOTH!! - did you really have to enable my addiction that way? LOL.

Time (October 1st) being important I have decided to impoverish myself completely and get both - I know I will not regret it from all your responses.

Thanks again.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I want to thank most of you for your input. Some of it was really funny whether it was meant that way or not. AS for the guys who said buy BOTH!! - did you really have to enable my addiction that way? LOL.

Time (October 1st) being important I have decided to impoverish myself completely and get both - I know I will not regret it from all your responses.

Thanks again.

Awesome! :party29: Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom