• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkseed

Sep 23, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Hi all,

My wife is SSGT in the Army (Active Duty) and she just received an email from her squad leader requesting that all soldiers disclose ownership of motorcycles and firearms. In the case of firearms, its requested to also disclose what type of firearms.

Given that we own our home, it is not on base (or in a government owned community etc.) isn't this invasion of privacy? My initial response is to refuse to answer this question, as my wife and I buy pretty much two of every firearm (so we both have our own :D and don't have to worry about adjusting stocks, sights etc.)

I'm actually a bit taken aback by the fact that this would even be asked - are they going to request how many knives, axes, power tools etc. we own next - after all, they are also tools that in the hands of idiots can kill people.

Anyone else current or ex-military ever been asked this? I know i was never asked when i served...

Any response is appreciated - also if this request is unlawful, pointing us in the direction of said rights/laws would be most helpful ;-)

Also - if there is a better forum section to house this thread, please feel free to move it ;-)

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Do they offer an explanation as to why they need this information?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I don't know if it's related but Panetta was on the news today talking about suicide prevention and how he wants junior officers and NCO's who have direct interaction with their troops to be held accountable for same. As I understand it from reading past news stories, the military brass seem to view tracking possession of all privately owned firearms as a part of their supposed prevention effort. I would talk to a lawyer about it if it were me.

And by the way, since we're on the subject of military members' Second Amendment rights. Maryland veterans who are concerned about their rights may want to consider writing their elected officials and local papers, or campaigning against Del. Luiz Simmons, after his refusal to put a representative from any veterans agency or group on the mental health & firearms task force he slipped through the General Assembly this year. 20 or so members on the task force from every group imaginable, except not one seat for a rep from the VA, the VFW, the Legion, or anyone else interested in veterans affairs. Not one. I just hope at election time the veterans who live in Gaithersburg as well as their friends and families remember this when voting.

Last edited:

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Sounds like you either have an IG complaint or you need to write your Representative and two Senators in Congress.

If you are a Maryland resident, that probably won't do any good. So you are stuck with an IG complaint.

Darkseed

Sep 23, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Yeah its definitely 'suicide prevention' aimed... I won't go into details, but its a force wide issue, and her base has experienced a rise in incidents.

I think i'll contact a lawyer and get an idea of where we stand legally. I know she's bound and gagged when it comes to fighting against military but given i'm a civvy and i own half the weapons, its definitely infringing my rights at a minimum.

At worst, i guess we could transfer ownership of the firearms or something but it was one of those "I smell nanny-state action" type things when she told me...

Its stuff like this that eroded Britain into the police state that it has now become.... phrases like 'we are doing this for your own protection' are usually how they get phrased lol

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    maybe they are looking to start up a new spec ops unit :shrug:

the-dirty-dozen-dames-20100820091300997.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    My question is, why ask about motorcycles? Burnt out/ stressed out soldiers killing themselves on Harleys and Hondas?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If this is merely a request, nothing says you have to answer. If it is an order, I would contact congressman Roscoe Bartlett.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    My question is, why ask about motorcycles? Burnt out/ stressed out soldiers killing themselves on Harleys and Hondas?

I thought about that too. Perhaps just a little bit of camouflage for the real purpose of the request? "Look folks, we're not against guns. See, we asked about motorcycles too, we're just concerned about 'health risks'......."

Don Z.

Jan 30, 2012

No... "invulnerable" recently returned servicemen are learning the limits of their talent in the most difficult manner possible.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I thought about that too. Perhaps just a little bit of camouflage for the real purpose of the request? "Look folks, we're not against guns. See, we asked about motorcycles too, we're just concerned about 'health risks'......."

I agree. The motorcycle part is just a distraction, to make the overall request seem innocuous and palatable. OP, this started back in April/May 2009, immediately following a DHS report that smeared veterans and active-duty military as much more likely to be mentally defective and/or become "radicalized". The purported goal at the time was to "identify soldiers with firearms and provide additional safety training to them, much like our motorcycle and driver safety classes".

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    you should list all of army's arsenal.. technically.. you own them since you are a tax payer.. ;)

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Tons of young Soldiers die on bikes when they get back. However, since you have to have a safety class and have it registered (if you want to get the bike onto post), they already know what you have in that area.

This question has been asked/tried in the past an quickly beat down once the higher ups got wind of it. Last case it was an ignorant CPT who put the order out to only get nuked for it once it hit the press.

I highly doubt it came from the top so an IG compliant will likely put it down. I would advice her to keep it quiet though.

For being asked; no, I have not been asked in my 20+ years.

There is also the fact that they are yours, not hers and you don't fall under UCMJ and are not on post.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    First off, is this coming from her chain of command or just a bright idea her squad leader had? Go talk to the platoon or detachment sergeant and see if this is coming from the CO.

If it is, make an IG complaint. Focus on it being an invasion of privacy rather than a gun issue.

If the IG says that that she should just answer the question of tries to bury the complaint, get in touch with your Congressman.

Or you can just answer the question and muse about how defending the Constitution means surrendering most of your individual rights. How much of a stink are you willing to make? Is it worth it if your wife ends up on the CO's sh-t list? I've been under my fair share of COs and Det. Sergeants who shamelessly harassed anyone who made IG complaints. Not saying that it will happen, just trying to put all the possibilities on the table.

Darkseed

Sep 23, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Thanks for all the input everyone ;-)

I'm going to speak to her squad leader directly once i read the email (as currently it was just my wife telling me).

I'm not looking at a gun ownership/gun issue, more as an invasion of privacy etc. no different than anybody on the street asking me whats in my house... non of your damned business! is the standard reply but I also respect that it may just be her sqd ldr following orders etc.

I'll let you know how it plays out ;-)

I am tempted to list the entire military arsenal though lol... that comment got me laughing...

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I have been asked that before on my annual physical but not yet after returning from a deployment. And many people have already stated it, but yes, I can verify it's for "suicide prevention". I believe it's a scheme to start registration or something for military members. When I was asked on my annual physical form, I just refused to answer and nothing ever came from it. Actually, the question was removed the following year. I wouldn't answer the question as it's none of anyones business. As a military member, I don't trust my employer.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    mikec said:

On a military base, you have to go through refresher safety every 3 years.

The military deems motorcycles a safety risk.

Seems my suggestion never made it to the top, that automotive drivers needed refresher training also.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    How is this not .gov compiling a database of firearms ownership? I thought there were laws against that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom