• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Current scuttlebutt:

County is meeting today to determine if they're going to push back against Hogan. Word from those in the know is that this is about *drumroll* MONEY. If independent schools don't go back, the county can claim more kids are "distance learning" overall and get more $$$ from the state and fed.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Current scuttlebutt:
    County is meeting today to determine if they're going to push back against Hogan.
    Guaranteed they will. All they have to do is say that they can't allow schools to reopen until they've reviewed and approved their plans, and then just do neither. Or set specific milestones for the county C19 issue as a whole (eg, positivity below 2% or something). Where they got in trouble was the whole "we don't care, you don't open".

Word from those in the know is that this is about *drumroll* MONEY. If independent schools don't go back, the county can claim more kids are "distance learning" overall and get more $$$ from the state and fed.
    That's the most evil thing I've heard in quite a long time. "We're gonna keep private school kids out of school so we can get more money for the public school kids." It seems hard to credit.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's the most evil thing I've heard in quite a long time. "We're gonna keep private school kids out of school so we can get more money for the public school kids." It seems hard to credit.

It came from a reliable source and given MoCo's stance on private schools, I wouldn't doubt it. They HATE independent schools (the county) They'll allow county high schools on less land than their independent counterparts house 1.5-2x the number of students while capping the capacity of the independent schools in the same neighborhood with larger facilities and more acreage.

GC is a good example. They're capped at something like 1500 max by county orders. Sherwood which is right down the road often has in excess of 2100 despite not being as big a building or property.

They've given SAES in Potomac a bunch of crap as well. The county would prefer it if independent schools (and thus, independent thought) didn't exist.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Current scuttlebutt:

County is meeting today to determine if they're going to push back against Hogan.
    Not sure what they're going to push-back with. Governor Hogan's latest EO says:
    e. If a political subdivision determines that doing so is necessary and reasonable to save lives or prevent exposure to COVID-19, the political subdivision is hereby authorized to issue orders that are more restrictive than this Order ("Local Orders"):
    i, requiring any businesses, organizations, establishments, or facilities (except schools) to close or modify their operations;

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    The county would prefer it if independent schools (and thus, independent thought) didn't exist.
    That's rich, considering there are what, 35,000 private school kids in MoCo that do not stress the busing, or classrooms, sports, etc. infrastructure.
    I went to private school in NJ and they at least let us use the school bus.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    MoCo Council will push back just because Hogan is a Republican and he pooped on their party. This is personal for them.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Our current thought is that they'll make us submit plans for reopening (which we have already put together and submitted) and then take a month to "review" them.

With the wording "except for schools", wouldn't that remove local oversight from the process? I would expect schools to be accountable to State, not County, in that regard.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    With the wording "except for schools", wouldn't that remove local oversight from the process? I would expect schools to be accountable to State, not County, in that regard.
    I read it, and as far as I can tell, it simply removes the ability from the county to be more strict than the state. It does not remove the county's enforcement capabilities (nor should it, honestly).

I could easily imagine the county pulling shenanigans with the school's licenses for other things, such as food service. They could also simply claim the school isn't following some minutia of the MD's state orders in some fashion, and then order them closed on those grounds. Winning against the county is hard, and the schools don't want to burn bridges with the County Council no matter how much of an ******* Elrich is.

I made a FOIA request to MoCo HHS for documents and meeting minutes related to this decision on Sunday. We'll see what the response is (it thus far has not even been acknowledged).

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

You think they wouldn't do this? Of course they would.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I read it, and as far as I can tell, it simply removes the ability from the county to be more strict than the state. It does not remove the county's enforcement capabilities (nor should it, honestly).

I could easily imagine the county pulling shenanigans with the school's licenses for other things, such as food service. They could also simply claim the school isn't following some minutia of the MD's state orders in some fashion, and then order them closed on those grounds. Winning against the county is hard, and the schools don't want to burn bridges with the County Council no matter how much of an ******* Elrich is.

Yep, that's what we're expecting. "Oh, well, you have to PROVE that meets the standard" or "No, you have to do it this incredibly complicated, expensive, and slow way or we won't let you open because it doesn't meet our interpretation of the state/CDC standards."

That's rich, considering there are what, 35,000 private school kids in MoCo that do not stress the busing, or classrooms, sports, etc. infrastructure.
    I went to private school in NJ and they at least let us use the school bus.

MCPS doesn't see those 35k independent school kids as a lessening of a burden, they see it as funding dollars they can't get their hands on.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Email today mentions WCHS now has several "Learning Cottages" (aka portable classrooms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom