• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Searched and didnt see a spring turkey thread yet.

Man I had one all fired up behind the house last night. Wife heard hin start gobbling around 4 and he gobbled off and on all evening. I called him for a bit and he progressively got closer. Then I shut up and he gobbled his head off until dark. 3 weeks seems really far off right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Now is when they should be breeding and acting up pretty good. I'm seeing a few out strutting and have a couple good roosters fiddling around my hunting spot.
    These warm days are getting them thrown out of whack around me. Seeing a lot of independent gobblers with no hens around in the afternoon.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    That's seemingly what this one was. On his own looking for any attention he could get.

amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    I am worried that as early as everything appears, about 3 weeks ahead of schedule the birds will be about done breeding and searching by the time the season comes in. Thinking you better hit it hard early with very little action at the end of season.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Located the birds in central Pa recently. Located this guy up on top mountain. Shame season wasn’t open yet.

Attachments

• CEE4A28F-F6B0-4882-9F26-7D46884C4529.jpg
      CEE4A28F-F6B0-4882-9F26-7D46884C4529.jpg
      98.8 KB · Views: 609
    • E00DB98F-1D43-443F-85F9-84C50F59BFCA.jpg
      E00DB98F-1D43-443F-85F9-84C50F59BFCA.jpg
      110.2 KB · Views: 653

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well they are starting their torment of me....

In two weeks he will be no where to be found.
    61bc42bed9e9954f608b8af4a83de3fc.jpg

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Searched and didnt see a spring turkey thread yet.

Man I had one all fired up behind the house last night. Wife heard hin start gobbling around 4 and he gobbled off and on all evening. I called him for a bit and he progressively got closer. Then I shut up and he gobbled his head off until dark. 3 weeks seems really far off right now.

If you keep calling to him,he could become call shy and hard to call in once the season is in.If you want to hear him gobble,just hoot like an owl or use a crow call.That wont mess with his head any

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you keep calling to him,he could become call shy and hard to call in once the season is in.If you want to hear him gobble,just hoot like an owl or use a crow call.That wont mess with his head any
    Yea, I normally dont call to them. But I had both kids on the deck with me and they were excited to hear it.

Oddly enough I've never had one out here respond to a owl or crow call.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Gobbler was just gobbling again....torture!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Walked the field across to my parents house about 20 minutes ago. On the way there I passed a herd of deer at about 20 ft who could have cared less I was there. On the way home I heard some scuffling in the wood line and there is a big ole Tom not 10 feet from me. Kinda looked at me for a few seconds then flew across the field.
    71b6009626854633e1a29570d29b87ac.jpg
    f998c991c6bb56c34bae4c2ece1cd6be.jpg

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    This thread has been unacceptably slow so far! Any kills yet?

My journey to a Super Slam is making acceptable progress this year despite the China virus mess. At my age I am starting this late. If i can get about 3 states a year, i may finish it before i am finished. So far so good.

Hawaii checked off the list about a month ago and North Carolina checked off last Saturday. Can’t fly now so my VT trip is cancelled, will re-try PA hopefully. Got spanked hard on PA public land last year-no gobbles, no birds seen. Think i have secured access to a PA farm with actual turkeys present.

Anyway, some photos:

Hawaii:
    CT%20and%20Riott%20Hawaii%20Gobblers%20Thursday%20March%2012%202020.JPG

North Carolina:
    448C4263-0B89-4D25-BDE7-3EBC2781E1A31.jpeg

Updated wall:
    IMG_1020.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This thread has been unacceptably slow so far! Any kills yet?

My journey to a Super Slam is making acceptable progress this year despite the China virus mess. At my age I am starting this late. If i can get about 3 states a year, i may finish it before i am finished. So far so good.

Hawaii checked off the list about a month ago and North Carolina checked off last Saturday. Can’t fly now so my VT trip is cancelled, will re-try PA hopefully. Got spanked hard on PA public land last year-no gobbles, no birds seen. Think i have secured access to a PA farm with actual turkeys present.

Anyway, some photos:

Hawaii:
    CT%20and%20Riott%20Hawaii%20Gobblers%20Thursday%20March%2012%202020.JPG

North Carolina:
    448C4263-0B89-4D25-BDE7-3EBC2781E1A31.jpeg

Updated wall:
    IMG_1020.jpg

Congrats!

I have a few tails taking up room in my freezer. I gotta get them on a wall. If I only had wall space...:sad20:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    So my love hate relationship with these birds continues. I've lived in this area for 13 years now, and every year they are all over the place for the two weeks before the season. Then the season comes around and it's like they vanish. I've never even seen one while hunting them, although I've heard distant gobbled from time to time.

This morning seemed like much of the same. No gobbles anywhere, no response to owl calls, nothing. Then about 20 minutes ago one gobbles out of no where almost on top of me. Hes 50 yards out. Walks right across my blind right to left, just out of range. Gobbled once or twice to my calls and was gone...

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I didn't even go this morning.:indiffere One of the boys and some of his mates tagged out in NC earlier on this week. One killed a nice bearded hen.
    Another one is still out there locally but I haven't heard anything from him yet. Probably same thing going on.
    Its been so warm a lot of hens are probably sitting so later in the day from 9 on was my plan.
    #2 killed his watching high grass with binos, moving and then ambush when the gobbler came poking around. Thats a clever way to go if you have a good spot picked out.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    Just shot awesome video of a feeding hen 4 yards away. Somehow she never busted me! Sitting under a cedar playing video man today trying to record my neighbor Kenny blast a gobbler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom