• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    MARCH ACTION SHOOTING MATCH REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!!!

Steel Challenge - Sunday, March 1st
    https://practiscore.com/agc-steel-challenge-sunday-march-1-2020/register

3 Gun - Sunday, March 15th
    https://practiscore.com/agc-3-gun-match-sunday-mar-15-2020/register

IDPA - Saturday, March 21st
    https://practiscore.com/agc-idpa-tier-1-match-saturday-march-21st/register

I have also attached an updated copy of the AGC 2020 Action Shooting Calendar. Take care and we look forward to dry weather and seeing everyone in March

Attachments

• 2020 AGC Action Shooting Schedule - Revised February 2020.pdf
      42.1 KB · Views: 319

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That's mean, sending an alert when Practiscore says it's not open yet. Thanks for the future schedule document, though. This will help me plan when household chores will grind to a halt.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    That's mean, sending an alert when Practiscore says it's not open yet. Thanks for the future schedule document, though. This will help me plan when household chores will grind to a halt.

This is me giving the MDS community a heads up before I send the mass email to everyone else. It may not be an issue now, but I have a feeling that a little advance notice will be pretty valuable come Spring time.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is me giving the MDS community a heads up before I send the mass email to everyone else. It may not be an issue now, but I have a feeling that a little advance notice will be pretty valuable come Spring time.
    It's totally appreciated.

I don't know if I'll be able to make Tuesday night practices (it's a "work at work" day for me), but Thursday nights in the summer seem pretty plausible. Looking forward to it!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

In fairer weather, those things are going to fill up before anyone gets to a second cup of coffee the day you open registration. So yes indeed, thanks for the advance notice here.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    We are thankful...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    In fairer weather, those things are going to fill up before anyone gets to a second cup of coffee the day you open registration. So yes indeed, thanks for the advance notice here.

This issue is real. Still trying to decide how to handle this. There are a few options.

1. Only allow 1 gun to be registered per person until the day before the match. If there are slots available, then give 2nd gun priority to those who help set up the day before. This would be a logistical nightmare for me and is not preferred.

2. Hold a Saturday and Sunday match on the same weekend. This would require someone to step up and run one or the other as I cant be away from the house all weekend. This would be most desirable as everyone that wants to could enter two guns and we would only need to set up/tear down once per weekend.

We shall see.

This issue is real. Still trying to decide how to handle this. There are a few options.

1. Only allow 1 gun to be registered per person until the day before the match. If there are slots available, then give 2nd gun priority to those who help set up the day before. This would be a logistical nightmare for me and is not preferred.

2. Hold a Saturday and Sunday match on the same weekend. This would require someone to step up and run one or the other as I cant be away from the house all weekend. This would be most desirable as everyone that wants to could enter two guns and we would only need to set up/tear down once per weekend.

We shall see.

Just spitballing here...
    Once warmer weather hits and word gets out, I stand by my belief this is going to get really popular. Has anyone been not happy with the steel challenge?
    I'm guessing that from April to October, the event is going to quickly sell out within a week- even if every shooter is allowed one gun.
    My 2 cents would be Sat/Sun on the same weekend during "desirable" months and leave Nov-Feb as is. Maybe only allow one gun per person for the first 72hrs of open registration. If the event sells out every single time and multiple positions are permitted for the same shooter, how will we be able to attract new competitors and grow interest??
    I dunno, just spitballing.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just spitballing here...
    Once warmer weather hits and word gets out, I stand by my belief this is going to get really popular. Has anyone been not happy with the steel challenge?
    I'm guessing that from April to October, the event is going to quickly sell out within a week- even if every shooter is allowed one gun.
    My 2 cents would be Sat/Sun on the same weekend during "desirable" months and leave Nov-Feb as is. Maybe only allow one gun per person for the first 72hrs of open registration. If the event sells out every single time and multiple positions are permitted for the same shooter, how will we be able to attract new competitors and grow interest??
    I dunno, just spitballing.

We will see. I need somebody who is capable of running things from soup to nuts. There are a lot of things going on in the background (in fact most of the things are in the background) and I have not done a very good job of getting that person up to speed. Last thing we want is to try and pull it off when we are not ready and turn people off. I'm going to do my best. We shall see.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    One can always hope, but it's looking grim. I talked the missus into likely shooting on 3/1, but it looks like a sausage fest so far. 20 spots left! Somebody talk their better half or another delegation from the fairer sex to join in.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well, that did not take long. We now have a wait list for the March 1st Steel Challenge Match.

If you need to withdraw, please be kind and do so well in advance. If you want to participate, but have not registered yet, then I would recommend registering now and securing your place on the wait list. It is pretty typical for us to lose 10%-15% of registered shooters.

PSA:
    No Shows and Last minute withdrawals are NOT kind. Thankfully, we don't have much of an issue with No Shows, but last minute withdrawals (those occurring after registration has closed) have started to become a problem. They cause squads to become uneven thereby forcing shooters to wait while the squad in front of them finishes shooting. This in turn causes me to start pulling my OCD hair out as I scramble to reorg the squads without pissing anyone off. Now that we have a waitlist, no shows and late withdrawals have the potential to be a real issue.

All of that said, it is understood that "life" happens and sometimes changes to our plans are quite simply unavoidable. That is why I have baked some tolerance into our no show policy.

1st No Show / Late Withdrawal results in a nasty gram from me

2nd Now Show / Late Withdrawal results in the shooter being waitlisted and only allowed to squad after registration has closed and there proves to be space available

Hope this makes sense and seems fair

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    One can always hope, but it's looking grim. I talked the missus into likely shooting on 3/1, but it looks like a sausage fest so far. 20 spots left! Somebody talk their better half or another delegation from the fairer sex to join in.

I'm registered, shoot with us!!!

I can't do this 3 gun, which has me bummed, but I signed up to try mounted shooting that day! Why is everything fun on the same days?!?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm registered, shoot with us!!!

And like magic, I see you're already in squad 2, which we randomly chose. Well, not so randomly, because I didn't want her first stage to be Madness-palooza. So with luck, all will work as-squadded. And with good weather and marital bliss, there we'll have it! Thanks for chiming in.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    And like magic, I see you're already in squad 2, which we randomly chose. Well, not so randomly, because I didn't want her first stage to be Madness-palooza. So with luck, all will work as-squadded. And with good weather and marital bliss, there we'll have it! Thanks for chiming in.

We are putting together some marketing materials to present to potential sponsors and need to get some good shots of the bays full of shooters as well as the parking area packed with cars. I know it is a lot to manage, especially when you are shooting two guns and have your wife in tow. I understand if you don't want to mess with it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We are putting together some marketing materials to present to potential sponsors and need to get some good shots of the bays full of shooters as well as the parking area packed with cars. I know it is a lot to manage, especially when you are shooting two guns and have your wife in tow. I understand if you don't want to mess with it.

I’ll bring the camera gear and the drone, and we’ll get in some shots from overhead and on the ground.

It’s still worth doing a more formal video with real production quality, but spring.will be better for that. Getting you some look-how-busy-we-are shots is very doable on the fly 3/1. Let’s hope for decent weather!

Jbelt11

Sep 14, 2017
    Harford county
    I have been looking at signing up for the March match. I had a couple questions if you wouldn’t mind answering the 3 gun competition setup I’m new too the action shooting community and not quite sure about the gear needed to be able to participate ?
    I have the firearms and everything just not quite sure about the rest ?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here's what you need, gear-wise:
    1. Quality belt
    2. Quality holster that goes on belt, preferably with retention. (Safariland GLS is popular for this.)
    3. Two pistol mag pouches to go on belt
    4. Rifle mag pouch to go on belt[1]

You will do better if you add a decent shotgun shell carrying system on your belt (8-12 shells), and practice loading twins with it. Loading from a side saddle is not fun on a timer.

[1] I've never actually done a rifle reload in an AGC match, but you want one for malfunction clearance purposes if things really go to hell.

Mike1690

Jan 28, 2016
    I’m signed up for the steel challenge. I never participated in one of these before. I’m running a stock Sig P320. One question I have is will 3 mags be enough or will I need more. See everyone on 3/1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom