Who, if anyone, is The New "Colt" for AR's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Now that Colt has "suspended" sales of AR rifles to the civilian sector, is there any clear leader that takes the place of Colt?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sort of FN . But to the extent they don't offer a full product line to the public, there isn't really a Colt replacement .

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Although I dropped the FN bomb, my personal vote goes to SOLGW. They are a great firearms company, I have not yet found their rifles in an HBAR but I am building one around an colt SOCOM HBAR 14.5" Barrel. I'll post pics once done.

https://youtu.be/uk6_ay9e83Q

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I don't know whether any one company will take the spot...considering the market today it's more a matter of which companies survive to be in the running. The saturated AR market will weed out those companies that aren't diversified enough to compete or were marginal players to begin with. Colt has said they have a 120-day supply of civilian legal rifles sitting in inventory so once that's sold off they can either decide to sit it out or restart production depending on the market and consumer demand. No demand...no new production. It makes no sense to continue building a product there's little demand for. It's not like Colt is losing sales...they've shifted production to overseas military and government contracts and that's taking up their production capacity for the time being.

Depending on how the political situation shakes out through the next election cycle the AR market can go either way. If there's a profit to be made someone will service that market.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Although I dropped the FN bomb, my personal vote goes to SOLGW. They are a great firearms company, I have not yet found their rifles in an HBAR but I am building one around an colt SOCOM HBAR 14.5" Barrel. I'll post pics once done.

https://youtu.be/uk6_ay9e83Q

I'm itching to build an AR with their 13.7" barrel/upper. I have a 16" dissipator and a 14.7" M4A1 socom type. I'm in between a braced pistol build or just another "as short as legally possible" rifle build.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    S&W and Sig both offer broad AR15 line ups at comparable price points to Colt, so I'd probably lean towards one of them as a replacement in the market.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Colt is still colt. Colt isnt haulting sales to the private market. They're switching production capacity to prioritize government purchases since the private sector is flush with colt inventory. No need to keep making rifles nobody is buying when there's lots of rifles on distributor shelves.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Colt is still colt. Colt isnt haulting sales to the private market. They're switching production capacity to prioritize government purchases since the private sector is flush with colt inventory. No need to keep making rifles nobody is buying when there's lots of rifles on distributor shelves.

Please point me to the distributors selling all the unsold Colt's. I'd like to buy some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom