• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What Maryland entity has oversight of a Form 1 application?

TR

MSP went to BATF, and THEY enforce the 29" OAL.

Don't believe it, submit a Form 1 for a 28.5" center fire SBR. It WILL be rejected.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    LAW folder is GTG. Gun can't be repeatedly fired in the stowed position....as long as we're talking AR 15 type SBRs.

Under current interpretations.

Just like the threads about braces versus SBR in the past few years.

THINGS change.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Don't believe it, submit a Form 1 for a 28.5" center fire SBR. It WILL be rejected.

AFAIK, all states have the last word on NFA. Just as much as states can't go beyond federal NFA, Federal NFA can't or won't go beyond state set statutes.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Under current interpretations.

Just like the threads about braces versus SBR in the past few years.

THINGS change.

I'm not going to waste my time waiting for the Gov to decide what will be good and what will be bad tomorrow. If it is legal right now, that is good enough for me(and it should be good enough for everyone else).

Dec 15, 2012
    Md
    Slightly off topic but... I just picked up an SP5K PDW, and would like to make it an AOW (for the Vertical Fore Grip). I’d like to confirm that since this is an AOW (and not an SBR) it would still be legal in Maryland.

Since it’s not a “rifle”, it does not need to comply with the evil features count, or the 29.5” requirement, correct.

Thanks in advance!

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    Slightly off topic but... I just picked up an SP5K PDW, and would like to make it an AOW (for the Vertical Fore Grip). I’d like to confirm that since this is an AOW (and not an SBR) it would still be legal in Maryland.

Since it’s not a “rifle”, it does not need to comply with the evil features count, or the 29.5” requirement, correct.

Thanks in advance!
    ... slightly related, my form 1's have been disapproved twice by the ATF trying to convert my pistol to an SBR even though the OAL is greater than 29" in reality but not on paper. (Side note: I wish the Form 1 would let you specify OAL and not simply barrel length to prevent a presumed OAL)
    If I'm forced to register my pistol as an SBR and disapproved (again), is the pistol considered AOW and I have to register it that way? Or do I have unlawful possession of a firearm?

Dec 15, 2012
    Md
    Don’t know why yours is being denied. Maybe the pistol version of your weapon is legal (ex... 9” Sig Virtus 300bo)... but the “rifle” version is outright banned (ex... Sig Virtus 300bo Rifle)? I’m not certain that’s how it works, but a friend of mine and I have had that exact debate.

In my case, since the most recent ruling is that anything with a stabilizing brace does not count the added length from the brace into overall length, my “pistol” is only about 14 inches long.

Legally a pistol can’t be operated by two hands, if it is under 26” long. If it is, it becomes an AOW. If the “pistol” has a VFG, but is *over* 26” it becomes a “firearm” (non NFA), if I’m not mistaken. Once classified as a rifle (regardless of length), the VFG basically doesn’t matter.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Today. :D

It seems that one specific folder is GTG.

Again, at least today.

My comment was with regards to supressors.

As for folders, I'm not aware of any for the AR platform that permit ti to fire while folded, so ALL folders are GTG in MD and not an evil feature.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My comment was with regards to supressors.

As for folders, I'm not aware of any for the AR platform that permit ti to fire while folded, so ALL folders are GTG in MD and not an evil feature.

Sorry.

SO MD licensing is saying that suppressors are not considered flash suppressors?

Interesting, I had not heard that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No ,MSP LD is apparently saying that certain ( most) Folding adapters for conventional system AR do Not count as Folding Stock , thereby not triggering any excessive number of Evil Features even with a Suppressor being a Flash Hider .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry.

SO MD licensing is saying that suppressors are not considered flash suppressors?

Interesting, I had not heard that.

They never really have said that, the conversations started in 2013 when the bill got passed, and the conversation has been the same since.

And you have heard it, every time I have brought it up to correct people. Oh, wait, you want something official in writing, instead of the word of a former President of a state 2A organization???

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No ,MSP LD is apparently saying that certain ( most) Folding adapters for conventional system AR do Not count as Folding Stock ,

Correct, since most folding adapters for conventional ARs do not permit the firearm to be fired, and are not designed to do so. (The bold is the important part)

thereby not triggering any excessive number of Evil Features even with a Suppressor being a Flash Hider .

People need to stop repeating this fallacy, MSP has never considered a suppressor as an evil feature, as a flash hider.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    I'm not going to waste my time waiting for the Gov to decide what will be good and what will be bad tomorrow. If it is legal right now, that is good enough for me(and it should be good enough for everyone else).
    Agree. Anything I currently own was obtained legally. What happens in the future makes me no never mind. This store has a no return policy.

seawalker

Apr 11, 2021
    City GTTF
    Since Biden said the other day that I needed to SBR my Scorpion with the AFT I was doing some research and came across this thread. Had no idea that a registered SBR had to also conform to MD’s stupid rules. O’Malley’s great legacy lives on I see.

If it does come down to not being able to shoulder pistol braces again in the near future that is going to suck. Atl least all the AR pistols could be built into rifles. I suppose I could try and convert my Scorpion to the carbine but they don’t sell the 16” barrel AFAIK. The only benefit to Registering as an AOW would be the VFG, right? No stock under 29”

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005

MSP went to BATF.....What does that actually mean?

Is a rejection of a form 1 less than 29" a personal experience?

TR

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Reverse , ATF goes to MSP ( or whatever relevant agency in whichever jurisdiction ) to confirm that whatever is Legal in that jurisdiction , if ATF has any doubt or confusion .

Bottom line - ATF will not approve anything not legal in the local jurisdiction(s) of applicant .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Like I said before, ATFE upholds each states NFA 'allowances'. For some states it might be no suppressors. In another state it might be no machine guns. In Md's case, it is no centerfire semi-automatic SBRs under 29" in length. It is up the the individual state legislators to decide what NFA items will be allowed in a given state. The ATFE enforces those allowances. It's that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom