• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Hello all -

just wanted to drop a quick note to say hello. I've been shooting since I was 12, but have taken a 17 year absence due to a very busy family/work schedule and recently reclaimed my collection from my father's safe. I am looking forward to shooting again but first need some work done on a couple of my firearms.

I live in Central MD and am in need of a Gunsmith for work on an auto pistol and a rifle. Last person I dealt with is no longer available.

I've briefly reviewed the Industry Partners section of the site and find several kudos messages for some folks but am looking for someone who specializes in restoration work. I live in Frederick County, and am frequently all over the VA, MD, DC area (although rarely on the Eastern Shore) so while closer is better - I can certainly drive wherever needed.

Any one have first-hand experience with a restoration project and a gunsmith you'd happily frequent again?

Thanks in advance.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Hello all -

just wanted to drop a quick note to say hello. I've been shooting since I was 12, but have taken a 17 year absence due to a very busy family/work schedule and recently reclaimed my collection from my father's safe. I am looking forward to shooting again but first need some work done on a couple of my firearms.

I live in Central MD and am in need of a Gunsmith for work on an auto pistol and a rifle. Last person I dealt with is no longer available.

I've briefly reviewed the Industry Partners section of the site and find several kudos messages for some folks but am looking for someone who specializes in restoration work. I live in Frederick County, and am frequently all over the VA, MD, DC area (although rarely on the Eastern Shore) so while closer is better - I can certainly drive wherever needed.

Any one have first-hand experience with a restoration project and a gunsmith you'd happily frequent again?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome! Those damn kids make us do the damndest things, don't they? Welcome back!! I'm in pretty much your same boat but started shooting close to a year ago again....

"Auto Pistol" as in Mateba? Funny- I was just reading about those just 5 minutes ago!!!

Welcome

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    sorry - bit too vague as I've only 1 cup of coffee in the system...

i just got a Colt Auto .380 which belonged to my grandfather when he was a reporter in Indianapolis. It needs a substantial amount of work (rust removed, possibly refinished). No where near the condition it should be but given the sentimental value, I'd like to see what it would take to 'bring it back'...

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Céad mile fáilte. The two gunsmiths I've dealt with recently have both impressed the heck out of me and I recommend them highly. They are "Dr. Bob" at FreeState Gun Range, 410-335-5100, and the other is John Carduner, whom you can contact through FreeState also. I think they both pop in here from time to time as well.

ADD: I just read your reply above - some might tell you to not refinish the Colt as it will reduce its value to a collector. I say screw its value to a collector, it's your grandfather's gun and its value to you is priceless. Get it refinished by a pro, and put up pics here, we wanna see, we wanna see!

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    sorry - bit too vague as I've only 1 cup of coffee in the system...

i just got a Colt Auto .380 which belonged to my grandfather when he was a reporter in Indianapolis. It needs a substantial amount of work (rust removed, possibly refinished). No where near the condition it should be but given the sentimental value, I'd like to see what it would take to 'bring it back'...

Just think where our fight for the 2A would be if more reporters carried guns today... ahhhh-- the good old days....

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    :) he carried one and kept another in the desk drawer of his office at the weekly town newspaper he owned. Family lore has one of the pistols being given to him by the Indy PD who had taken it off of someone who had been arrested..

Now, Grandpa was prone to spin quite a yarn and there's no way to validate the story - but it is a good one.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I've done some more searching and see a lot of strong positive comments for Mr. Brown (in Westminster) Does he also work on pistols? Most of the comments seem to be rifle related...

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!

Take a look at these links – LOTS of good info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Before you proceed with ordering, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]LOOK HERE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. This is important![/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hello and welcome to MDS.

Please consider joining Maryland Shall Issue, the only grassroots organization fighting for your 2A rights in MD.

www.marylandshallissue.org

Attachments

• MSI_Banner.jpg
      MSI_Banner.jpg
      9.6 KB · Views: 82

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Céad mile fáilte. The two gunsmiths I've dealt with recently have both impressed the heck out of me and I recommend them highly. They are "Dr. Bob" at FreeState Gun Range, 410-335-5100, and the other is John Carduner, whom you can contact through FreeState also. I think they both pop in here from time to time as well.

ADD: I just read your reply above - some might tell you to not refinish the Colt as it will reduce its value to a collector. I say screw its value to a collector, it's your grandfather's gun and its value to you is priceless. Get it refinished by a pro, and put up pics here, we wanna see, we wanna see!

Dr. Bob at FreeState does wonders with restorations of pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom