• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Being a lifetime deer hunter, I had to take a 3 year hiatus due to a tick bite giving me alpha-gal. I couldn’t eat red meat or even touch it. It seems I have recovered or I’m in sort of remission (hopefully recovered). I have been back to eating red meat for about a month now, and I am thrilled.

I am even more excited to get back to hunting and eating deer! To celebrate I decided to try a 350 legend (even though I love my shotgun, and have no complaints). I didn’t want to spend a lot, so I started researching.

I was shocked to see BCA has a complete 350 upper and a complete AR lower for less than $400 total. Out of curiosity, I had to buy them. I plan to put a decent Vortex 3x9x40 on it. Anyone here have experience with these? I found it interesting BCA doesn’t sell mags, what/ where should I buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice/ input.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I did the same, last month they had the 16" upper on sale for less than $300.

Going to put a lower together next week and try it out. I found mags at Brownells.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I did the same, last month they had the 16" upper on sale for less than $300.

Going to put a lower together next week and try it out. I found mags at Brownells.

I got my 16” upper w/ side charging handle for $238. It was on sale for $250 but when I checked out it knocked off $12.

I am going to check Brownells now, thanks.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I got my 16” upper w/ side charging handle for $238. It was on sale for $250 but when I checked out it knocked off $12.

I am going to check Brownells now, thanks.

Hopefully you don’t have QC issues (the primary concern with BCA); 350’s straight wall can cause some “gremlins” in the machine on AR pattern rifles. My CMMG upper was having issues with making belted cartridges on occasion (went away after break in, but still the occasional FTE). Be prepared to take it apart and gauge it if you have issues. They are shockingly effective given that their SD says they should be awful hunting rounds. I have a few posts in the Bambi whacking thread describing the success, but in a nutshell all but one was dead right there (and the one that moved only made it a 1/2 seconds’ gallop).

Oh, and watch the side charging handle - they have a habit of working themselves loose, but you can’t lock them with a dab of red because they need to come out for field stripping.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Being a lifetime deer hunter, I had to take a 3 year hiatus due to a tick bite giving me alpha-gal. I couldn’t eat red meat or even touch it. It seems I have recovered or I’m in sort of remission (hopefully recovered). I have been back to eating red meat for about a month now, and I am thrilled.

I am even more excited to get back to hunting and eating deer! To celebrate I decided to try a 350 legend (even though I love my shotgun, and have no complaints). I didn’t want to spend a lot, so I started researching.

I was shocked to see BCA has a complete 350 upper and a complete AR lower for less than $400 total. Out of curiosity, I had to buy them. I plan to put a decent Vortex 3x9x40 on it. Anyone here have experience with these? I found it interesting BCA doesn’t sell mags, what/ where should I buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice/ input.

I know it is not close to you , but we have some 350 legend mags in stock.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    It's definitely a gamble with BCA.

But for the $249 I paid, we'll see. I don't hear that the more expensive brands are any better in reliability.

Between this upper, my $35 Anderson lower, and some milspec parts, it's going to be a $400 deer rifle. Not expecting much, so hopefully it'll at least shoot most of the time.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Hopefully you don’t have QC issues (the primary concern with BCA); 350’s straight wall can cause some “gremlins” in the machine on AR pattern rifles. My CMMG upper was having issues with making belted cartridges on occasion (went away after break in, but still the occasional FTE). Be prepared to take it apart and gauge it if you have issues. They are shockingly effective given that their SD says they should be awful hunting rounds. I have a few posts in the Bambi whacking thread describing the success, but in a nutshell all but one was dead right there (and the one that moved only made it a 1/2 seconds’ gallop).

Oh, and watch the side charging handle - they have a habit of working themselves loose, but you can’t lock them with a dab of red because they need to come out for field stripping.

Thanks for the info.

I read BCA fixed the side charging handle issues with the GEN-2, which is what I ordered.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I went with a CMMG upper and CMMG mags. Only put 5 rounds though it to pattern. Didn’t have the time to sight in. Needs about 200 more rounds. Gun is pretty picky. I’m using the 150 grn deer season Ammo. I bought a lot cuz it’s all that was around at the time. I’d prefer to bump that up to the .160 or .170. At 50 yards though i had a half inch group free hand. Gun needs work though. It does not love to cycle lol

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Might take a few extra days to test mine. Lost a takedown detent and buffer retainer spring in one move.

Got a few oops kits on order...

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    Since you guys are primarily setting these up for deer. What made you decide to go with this platform vs a traditional bolt gun? Don't know much about the 350 Legend AR platform. Can you use them with any lower without changing any parts?

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Since you guys are primarily setting these up for deer. What made you decide to go with this platform vs a traditional bolt gun? Don't know much about the 350 Legend AR platform. Can you use them with any lower without changing any parts?

I just like the AR platform. I have many traditional hunting guns, so I decided to change it up a bit, for my first 350 legend.

My understanding is any lower will work.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

No real reason. Just thought it would be cool to hunt with an AR.

I reorganized the workshop and found 4 or 5 extra LPK's. Rifle is built, so I'll go sight it in this weekend. My build is the BCA side charging 16" upper, a stag lower, cmmg parts kit, and an old larue trigger. The safety is super tight and may need to be addressed.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    No real reason. Just thought it would be cool to hunt with an AR.

I reorganized the workshop and found 4 or 5 extra LPK's. Rifle is built, so I'll go sight it in this weekend. My build is the BCA side charging 16" upper, a stag lower, cmmg parts kit, and an old larue trigger. The safety is super tight and may need to be addressed.

Top part X2

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Been debating the bolt gun vs AR upper swap myself. Still on the fence. I have plenty of other options so was looking at the cheapest but lightweight route. Most of my hunting is either marshy flat eastern shore, or mountains of Frederick and west. Carrying a 9 pound+ rifle, plus other gear a mile or more up a mountain is not in my plans.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    You can use it for hunting in shotgun-only counties.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    So I’m sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can’t find it.

I ordered my complete lower and had shipped to my ffl. I am hearing it is considered regulated, so I will have to do the 77r and wait the 7 days.
    I also ordered the complete upper (350 legend) the same day, and had it shipped to me.

My question is- if I take my complete upper in to my ffl, are the upper and lower combined cash and carry?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I’m sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can’t find it.

I ordered my complete lower and had shipped to my ffl. I am hearing it is considered regulated, so I will have to do the 77r and wait the 7 days.
    I also ordered the complete upper (350 legend) the same day, and had it shipped to me.

My question is- if I take my complete upper in to my ffl, are the upper and lower combined cash and carry?

My guess is no(but I could be wrong). Because the lower is actually a separate item and can be built into a pistol, it would be transferred as "other", the wait is required. If you bought the two halves as an entire gun, it would be transferred as a "rifle" and thereby, c&c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom