• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I only ever see arsenal refurbished 91/30s. Perfect blue, "all matching" (force matched) with newly lacquered wood.

Anyone have a 91/30 which is in original finish and condition?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Besides my Finnish Captured 91/30’s, I have one 1939 Izhevsk that I found in a local shop for $100 6 or 7 years ago.

It’s never been refurbed, no Finnish characteristics, no import marks and doesn’t appear to be a Spanish Civil War rifle. I suspect it’s a bringback of some sort, but have no idea when, where or how.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Besides my Finnish Captured 91/30’s, I have one 1939 Izhevsk that I found in a local shop for $100 6 or 7 years ago.

It’s never been refurbed, no Finnish characteristics, no import marks and doesn’t appear to be a Spanish Civil War rifle. I suspect it’s a bringback of some sort, but have no idea when, where or how.

Photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo

Considering it is a 1939, I have my doubts it made its way to Spain before the Spanish civil war ended.

It could have been an Elba river transfer. About a decade ago, my friend acquired a near mint TT-33 that was a supposed Elba bring back. The gun wasn’t marked up in any way, and the price was basically at asking price for a Soviet TT33.

One of the great things about C&R, any number of adventures could had befallen that weapon. And for most of them, they are lost to history.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I have several all-matching Finnish captured 91/30s, but I also have a Izhevsk 91/30 (I think it's a 1942) that, aside from an import mark, does not appear to have been messed with since it left the assembly line. It's been a while since I've had that one out of the safe. I'll dig it out and get some pictures soon. I got mine from The Mosin Crate in 2016.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel

My first thought is a Vietnam bringback. What kind of shape is it in? I'm very interested in photos of that one.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My first thought is a Vietnam bringback. What kind of shape is it in? I'm very interested in photos of that one.

I’d imagine a nice one could be a beutewaffe taken off the Germans rather than one that made it to Vietnam without getting rebuilt and then trashed

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=157939

There’s some older pictures from when I first got it. I need to take some better ones.

I suspect it ended up in German hands since the bolt looks like it might have been blued, then eventually got brought back by a GI.

Reckon it could also be a Korean War bring-back. Never heard of a Vietnam bringback 91/30, only heard of M44’s and Type 53’s from there.

Last edited:

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    My Finn capture does not appear to be refinished post war. It was marked at a gun show as a Sako rebuild, but I don’t see evidence of that, but maybe I don’t know what to look for. I also have a Finn capture NE Westinghouse that does not appear refinished.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I only ever see arsenal refurbished 91/30s. Perfect blue, "all matching" (force matched) with newly lacquered wood.

Anyone have a 91/30 which is in original finish and condition?

I may be overthinking this... (I KNOW I’m overthinking. It’s what I do with Mosins :D). Just trying to clarify.

Are you looking for an older, non-refurb M91/30 that’s been in a “time capsule” and still has all of the original blue and stock finish with no apparent wear?

Are you looking for any M91/30 in honest condition (faded bluing, dings/dents on stock, lacquer mostly worn away).

Are you looking for an M91/30 that looks like it’s been dragged behind a truck for 100 miles?

Non-Finn manufactured? Non-Finn captured?

I ask because I may know a guy...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Never saw one but as others have noted I suspect they are out there. That many rifles produced there have to be some probably 10s of thousands in varying conditions!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I may be overthinking this... (I KNOW I’m overthinking. It’s what I do with Mosins :D). Just trying to clarify.

Are you looking for an older, non-refurb M91/30 that’s been in a “time capsule” and still has all of the original blue and stock finish with no apparent wear?

Are you looking for any M91/30 in honest condition (faded bluing, dings/dents on stock, lacquer mostly worn away).

Are you looking for an M91/30 that looks like it’s been dragged behind a truck for 100 miles?

Non-Finn manufactured? Non-Finn captured?

I ask because I may know a guy...

I want to see a 91/30 sporting honest wear which hasn't been rearsenaled like so many of them were. I dont believe in milsurps that have perfect blue

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I have a 91/30 I got from AIM years ago still with cosmo in the bore and bolt. Bought it for the bayonet as it was cheaper at the time to buy the entire rifle. I also have a 1935 original sniper on a hex receiver. I also have a 91/59 and a Soviet M44.

Are you looking for photos or looking to purchase a rifle? Happy to post photos of any of the rifles.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom