Votes: 12 24.5%
    • CZ P07

Votes: 37 75.5%

• Total voters

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    i'd like to add and sa/da hammer fire handgun to my collection. for various reasons (comfort, reviews, price etc) i've decided it will be one of these two:

Beretta px4 Storm compact
    CZ P-07

i'm pretty sure i know what the popular vote will be but i'd like to know the reasons behind the decision. i've handled both but haven't shot either.

thanks for any input!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How much smaller is the Beretta than the CZ? I held that very CZ last week and I thought it was awesome.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I had a Beretta PX4 Compact .40, and currently have a PX4 Subcompact 9mm and a CZ P07 9mm. I ended up selling the compact (only to finance another acquisition) but still have the subcompact.

The PX4 Compact has that nice Beretta rotating barrel that takes some of the recoil out of the gun (the subcompact model does not have the rotating barrel), and I found both of my PX4s to be very nice shooters. There are a few things I don't like about the PX4s:

1. The ambidextrous safety - the levers are sharp and stick out on both sides, so this can be a problem if you conceal carry. They also can make racking the slide a little uncomfortable if you grab the levers while pulling the slide back.

2. The gun itself is a little thick, and the grip is a little slick, but this can be taken care of by using rubber grip covers or a Talon grip.

Other than that, I love the way the PX4s shoot, and unlike some of the PX4 bashers out there, I've never had any issues with either of mine.

As for the P07, it is a little bigger than the PX4 compact, and I also find it's grip a little slick, but again, that is easily fixed. That said, I personally find the P07 a joy to shoot, and very accurate. However, I have found that magazines are a little harder to find than the CZ 75 mags.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either gun.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    From those two, I would pick the CZ P07. Only downside I can see is the cost of mags. That said, I'd prefer a P30 or P229 before either of those.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    From the beretta site

px4 compact 9mm
    Barrel length (in) 3.27
    Overall height (in) 5
    Overall length (in) 6.8
    Overall width (in) 1.42
    Weight unloaded (OZ) 27.2

From cz site

P-07 (non duty)
    Barrel Length 3.800 in
    Weight 1.700 lbs
    Overall Length 7.200 in
    Height 5.300 in
    Width 1.460 in

On paper they're pretty close but I remember the px4 "felt" smaller and fit my hand a little better. I don't recall if one was using a smaller backstrap or not

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Was not impressed with P07 build quality. I'd go with a metal CZ over plastic, every time.

The thought has crossed my mind. Being a lefty, the cz 85 has real appeal.

I'm mainly looking at hammer fired since I only have polymer striker fired and would like something different

But if I don't limit my buying options I might not ever come to a conclusion. :o

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The thought has crossed my mind. Being a lefty, the cz 85 has real appeal.

I'm mainly looking at hammer fired since I only have polymer striker fired and would like something different

But if I don't limit my buying options I might not ever come to a conclusion. :o

Before you limit yourself too much, another budget friendly hammer fired would be a 3rd gen S&W auto. Model 5906/5903 and similar. Pretty much a tank of a gun and cheap on the used market.

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    I did not like the trigger on the Beretta, or the grip. Felt like the trigger was way far forward and just felt mushy. It was a full size. I can't get enough of my wife's p07. We put a houge slip on grip for a g19 and it made all the difference. It came with night sights so that was a plus.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    thanks for all the feedback and as i expected, the P07 has the popular vote and i'm about 85% sure thats what i'm going to go with

so for further consideration...

are the "upgrades" of the newer non-duty worth the extra $$$

i found an ad for a used P07 duty version with threaded barrel, suppressor sights and 4-16rnd mags. after shipping and transfer fees etc. it would cost me about $500

i can find a new non-duty P07 with 2-10rnd mags locally for about the same price

i found a used px4 with ambi slide release (i'm a lefty so thats cool) and 1-10 round magazine locally for $400

I've got family in VA, so getting normal capacity mags for the locally available guns isn't a huge inconvenience. Beretta mags seem to be more readily available and range $10-20 cheaper than CZ mags.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    I have a full size PX4 (.40) and it's my IDPA and training gun, although I use a Walther PPS for carry. Only malfunctioned once, a double feed when a CCI aluminum case failed to eject during a rapid fire section of training, in the pouring rain (rain was boiling on the slide). Dunno how many thousands of rounds through it, quite a few... no complaints. But, I voted for the CZ because I think they're cooler. :)

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    For the record I have heard many bad things about the storm and the fact that msp ditched them due to issues can't be good. I can not go on my own experience just from friends and other people. I do own a p-07 9mm I love it! Fits my hands beautifully and fires nicely I would not trade it. I have an earlier model however. I seen the newer version have various grip inserts and such. But at the end of the day it is your choice..
    I would get the threaded barrel version it was not out whwn I purchased mine I wish it were I want a threaded barrel and can not find one :( would be willing to swap you barrels and such and reimburse you the difference :D

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    For the record I have heard many bad things about the storm and the fact that msp ditched them due to issues can't be good. I can not go on my own experience just from friends and other people. I do own a p-07 9mm I love it! Fits my hands beautifully and fires nicely I would not trade it. I have an earlier model however. I seen the newer version have various grip inserts and such. But at the end of the day it is your choice..
    I would get the threaded barrel version it was not out whwn I purchased mine I wish it were I want a threaded barrel and can not find one :( would be willing to swap you barrels and such and reimburse you the difference :D

I just emailed the guy to see if the threaded barrel version is still available. If it is, I'm going to proceed with purchase. I don't have anything to thread onto the barrel so I might be okay with a trade.

Question, would a p09 barrel fit in a p07? I know there was an extended barrel duty version and the 07 takes 09 mags...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My dad's first pistol was a Px4. Its sexy looking. Shot pretty decent, He got an XDM9 and the PX4 was sold. I did not want it from him cause the safety as mentioned is uncomfortable as all heck.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    It seems that you have already made up your mind.
    Every gun has their week points and the P07 is no different.
    The early A series frames when the gun was introduced are known to have some frame budging issues that has been resolved with the B series frames.

The firing pins are the weak point as there seems to be reports of it breaking after thousands of rounds. CGW offers a improved tool steel firing pin that has a lifetime warranty.

There is a timing issue with all of the guns but it's only manifested in some. CGW has addressed this with an over sized roller.

I never had any issues but others that have put this gun though it's paces have found the weak points which aftermarket has addressed not to mention all of the upgrades that makes the P07/P09 worth owning. You don't need a gunsmith to service or upgrade the gun because the parts are drop and easy to reassemble every part down to the frame.
    I have around 2k rounds though mine and it never jammed once, and I was fully satisfied with the way the gun was out of the box but after the drop in trigger upgrade for just the single action the gun is crazy accurate for it's size.

I have shot the gun back to back with an HK USP 9 and liked the PO7 better for it's balance.
    The only thing I don't like is the plasticky feel of the de-cocker which might be addressed by the aftermarket.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    The firing pins are the weak point as there seems to be reports of it breaking after thousands of rounds. CGW offers a improved tool steel firing pin that has a lifetime warranty.

the one i moved forward with is a b series but the frame bulge, from what i read, was just a cosmetic issue. so i wasn't too concerned with it.

the improved steel firing, though, might be worth looking into once i have it in hand.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    the one i moved forward with is a b series but the frame bulge, from what i read, was just a cosmetic issue. so i wasn't too concerned with it.

the improved steel firing, though, might be worth looking into once i have it in hand.

It was and still is a cosmetic issue however a few A series frames in 40 caliber were having issues because of it. Those frames were replaced by CZ. None of the B series that has frame bulge has this issue. Mine doesn't have any frame bulging what so ever.
    I still have the stock firing pin and even if it breaks after thousands of rounds I will just replace it or get the upgraded one.
    The P series starts off with a good foundation but unfortunately at it's price point they come with cheap sights and finish could be better. Fortunately the aftermarket support has been developed by talented gunsmiths to bringing this gun to it's full potential for enthusiasts.
    I'm look forward to the new extended mag release that just came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom