• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    All

SIL just moved to FDRK and has a older 3 series BMW which needs some work. Any recommendations on good, honest mechanics in FDRK who know this vehicle?

SE works in FDRK too and I am hoping there is somewhere in town that does good work. Otherwise it is down 270 or 70 to find a shop...

Thx

---
    Shamr0ck

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Ed York at York Automotive in Mount Airy. BMW master mechanic. Accomplished race driver in the 3 series. Knows them inside and out.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    When I had my 740, I used both Frederick Motorsports and Carriage Automotive. Both were pretty good-definitely better than the dealer.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    If you're willing to drive to Gaithersburg- martins auto service- in the Gaithersburg airpark - Dan Martin is the master mechanic there and he also races and is super honest. Fair pricing- with BMW in mind. Something like $105/hr last time I was there. Been two years since I had a M5.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto for Ed York. I have known and raced with him for something like 30 years before I retired to the shooting sports. There is not anything he does not know about BMWs from the 2002 series to the latest models. Not only does he know stock vehicles to racing ones he has also done engine swaps on the side putting things like 325 motors in the original 318is models and customizing the wire harnesses so all the accessories function as stock. He even did an LS-1 Chevy swap into the Jaguar for Ted the owner of Precision Autobody.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Thx all for the suggestions. It is a 99 with 242k miles and the body is in good shape. Not sure if the model, but she just got her doctorate of physical therapy and as a grad student, car maintenance wasn't as hi a priority as it once was

She tells me she needs new shocks (not sure if front only or all around) and that first gear is starting to go I'm sure there are other things too, but it feels like the age old dilemma of do I put more money into it or transition to a different car. $$ decision complicated by student loan debt. No idea what her budget will allow - just that she loves his car and wants to be smart about whether to fix or replace.

Having local good mechanics is a blessing

Btw - the place off ball road is Deutsch American. Used them when I had my VR6 Jetta and liked them back then. No idea who is wrenching for them now.

---
    Shamr0ck

Last edited:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you're willing to drive to Gaithersburg- martins auto service- in the Gaithersburg airpark - Dan Martin is the master mechanic there and he also races and is super honest. Fair pricing- with BMW in mind. Something like $105/hr last time I was there. Been two years since I had a M5.

***Ditto on Martin's. That guy is awesome and he is very reasonable with his prices. Lots of people in and outside of our area go to his shop with problems and work the dealership couldn't figure out, or for older cars, etc.. He has lots of older BMW spare parts, and access to stuff that is not easy to find at typical retailers including stuff that would cost a fortune to ship, etc..

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Wished I'd known about Mr. York et al or my used Camry would be a used E39. Thanks for the info.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Thx all for the suggestions. It is a 99 with 242k miles and the body is in good shape. Not sure if the model, but she just got her doctorate of physical therapy and as a grad student, car maintenance wasn't as hi a priority as it once was

She tells me she needs new shocks (not sure if front only or all around) and that first gear is starting to go I'm sure there are other things too, but it feels like the age old dilemma of do I put more money into it or transition to a different car. $$ decision complicated by student loan debt. No idea what her budget will allow - just that she loves his car and wants to be smart about whether to fix or replace.

Shamr0ck

E36 3-series. Used to race those all the time :) You can replace the shocks w/ nonOEM. Not sure what you mean by first gear starting to go, but I assume all the shifter bushings are all worn out at this point and refreshing everything there may help.

Dan Martin is also a good shop as mentioned, but he is further south of you by Mont. County Airpark. Also used to be a fellow racer.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    [QUOTE

Btw - the place off ball road is Deutsch American. Used them when I had my VR6 Jetta and liked them back then. No idea who is wrenching for them now.[/QUOTE]

That's where I have been taking my 2000 ML430 for years. They have always done a great job and have saved me tons of money. Had a case where the dealer wanted to charge me $400 for a repair. The guys at Deutch laughed. The part was $40 and it cost another $100 to install. I've had $600 sunroof work completed for $200 and on and on. The only thing is they are quite busy so it usually means you may have to leave your car for a day or two. They do most foreign and American cars.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    [QUOTE

Btw - the place off ball road is Deutsch American. Used them when I had my VR6 Jetta and liked them back then. No idea who is wrenching for them now.

That's where I have been taking my 2000 ML430 for years. They have always done a great job and have saved me tons of money. Had a case where the dealer wanted to charge me $400 for a repair. The guys at Deutch laughed. The part was $40 and it cost another $100 to install. I've had $600 sunroof work completed for $200 and on and on. The only thing is they are quite busy so it usually means you may have to leave your car for a day or two. They do most foreign and American cars.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info...I too have an ML

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Ditto for Ed York. I have known and raced with him for something like 30 years before I retired to the shooting sports. There is not anything he does not know about BMWs from the 2002 series to the latest models. Not only does he know stock vehicles to racing ones he has also done engine swaps on the side putting things like 325 motors in the original 318is models and customizing the wire harnesses so all the accessories function as stock. He even did an LS-1 Chevy swap into the Jaguar for Ted the owner of Precision Autobody.

Photoracer, I may know you from racing. I raced SM/SSM for the past 10 years and while I have not totally given up racing, I seemed to have followed a similar path to you.

enjoi1968

Streets Closed Pizza Boy.
    May 10, 2013
    Deutsch is run by a gun named Mike Widener.

Great guy, if you're into mechanics or trucks ask him about his Rovers. Also very similar mindset and views as most of this board. If I didn't do my own work, Mike would do it for me.

A+++ shop

hlpdobro

Sep 23, 2006
    Frederick Co MD
    The place on Ball Rd is [URL="http://www.deutschamerican.com/]Deutsch American[/URL]. They've done Benz/BMW & Porsche for me. They also do airplanes as the shop is on a private airstrip.

Just be sure to look both ways and UP before crossing the runway. :innocent0

h

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom