• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    Short of sending the stock to the gunsmith and letting him do it, is there an easy way to hog out the barrel channel to make it fit? The stock is already inletted for my specific bottom metal so I don't want to start over. it will be quite a bit of difference in diameter, but I was thinking it can be done...HELP ME:cool:

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    laminate stock going from a somewhat "medium" profile as described by previous owner and a bartlien #14 profile barrel to slap in it. It is a substantial chunk of steel compared to what must have been in there before

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hmm.

Sounds like there's going to be a fair amount of material to be removed then.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My mind's coming up with a few crazy ideas, but I don't know how a laminate stock would react to them.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I would suggest you start by laying out some pencil lines on the stock as to where the final dimensions need to be. Carefully lay down a couple layers of masking tape on the stock along the pencil lines to protect the wood that you don't want removed. Then start by roughing out the opening with a piece of 40 grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod, taking care not to cut into your tape or pencil lines. Once it's roughed out, step back to 80 grit, then 180. When you can see the edges of your tape being scuffed up by the sandpaper, you should be pretty close. Finish with some 320, then refinish the new opening to match the rest of the stock. It will be time consuming, and will most likely wear out your arm, but when it's done, you'll have a custom stock to show off to all of your friends.

Might I also suggest posting a few pictures as you shape it, for anyone else interested in trying the same thing?

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I would suggest you start by laying out some pencil lines on the stock as to where the final dimensions need to be. Carefully lay down a couple layers of masking tape on the stock along the pencil lines to protect the wood that you don't want removed. Then start by roughing out the opening with a piece of 40 grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod, taking care not to cut into your tape or pencil lines. Once it's roughed out, step back to 80 grit, then 180. When you can see the edges of your tape being scuffed up by the sandpaper, you should be pretty close. Finish with some 320, then refinish the new opening to match the rest of the stock. It will be time consuming, and will most likely wear out your arm, but when it's done, you'll have a custom stock to show off to all of your friends.

Might I also suggest posting a few pictures as you shape it, for anyone else interested in trying the same thing?

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking this as well but hadn't considered the tape to keep me from taking too much.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    1.2" at the chamber area, and tapering down to .900" over 26" after initial 3", that could be interesting.

Evil Twin's method sounds good, definitely going to be a project.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    Yeah, I was thinking/hoping that there may be a router sollution to this little dilemma, at least maybe a .75 or .85" bit that could get me close and just have to handle the rest with the sand paper method

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, I was thinking/hoping that there may be a router sollution to this little dilemma, at least maybe a .75 or .85" bit that could get me close and just have to handle the rest with the sand paper method

Hate to say it, but I think the BEST solution to this dilemma, is one that involves a lot of elbow grease, sandpaper, and time in it.

Could probably think of a quicker way, I was myself, but it'd likely get you less-than-satisfactory results. Which is why I shut up for a bit. :D

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Other than just a WAG, using a router and router table/fence, you'll probably need to contract someone to grind the proper diameter bit(s) for the barrel.

Then, a taper jig to prevent plowing the maximum diameter the entire length of the stock.

All kidding aside, look at Brownell's or Midway USA for different rasps to hog out the material, followed up by different grit sandpaper.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sand paper and a long socket of the proper size. Start with a bit larger and work up.

Router is overkill, and gives you a chance to ruin the stock in seconds.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek

take a drill bit depending on the size of the dowel rod. Mark the senter drill the bit until it is up to where the shaft starts. just leave the bit in the drill and go for it. A variable speed drill would work best. if you had a lathe it would be better. good luck and happy sanding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom