• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I feel like ive been reading until my eyes are mush.
    When I bought my cmp garand I bought a bayonette with it.
    I now have a remington m1917 and a soon to be 1903 Smith corona. What bayonets do I meed to look for them? I just want a functional correct one that has patina since these rifles aren't safequeens.

Can someone break this down Barney style for me, I'm lost as whats correct to even know what to look for.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    For the 1917 you need a Model of 1917 bayonet...no other will fit. For the '03A3 the technically correct bayonet is a M1905 or M1942 (which is actually a M1905 but collectors call them 1942 models). Any bayonet for the M1 Garand will work...the 1905, 1942, the M1 bayonet or M5 bayonet. Many 1905 and 1942 bayonets were cut down either to a sharp point of clipped point.

The original M1905 bayonets have wood handles and were made with a higher degree of finish. The 1942 versions have plastic handles and rougher construction and finish but are just as serviceable.

There are reproductions on the market as well.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Here’s a soldier of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force with an M1 bayonet (designation of the bayonet itself) on his 03A3.

M1 bayonets were 10” blades, both new made and chopped down from 16” M1905s.

The M5 bayonet for the Garand will not work for an 03A3 because it lacks a muzzle ring.

Snake_Smokin-03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom