• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    I think SCOTUS feels finally being ignored by either Repub or Dem states. The idea that they would be ignored, delegitamized, and exposed as heroes or villains prevents them from challenging the status quo. After all, many states have turned into 2A sanctuary states and by implication the are saying "fu, SCOTUS." The dems feel they can win through the courts and are using/dangling "packing the courts" as a threat .. . . but not a real one because all of SCOTUS id part of the Federalist Society who might as well be globalists.

Brings new meaning when you consider how many judges have adopted foreign nationals.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    If the court actually believed the 2A means no infringement then there wouldn't need to be any compelling arguments by pro 2A lawyers. The very fact that pro gun groups have to basically prove infringement shows that SCOTUS has little intention of every upholding our rights to the level the Constitution requires.

The court has said that "like most rights, the 2A right is not unlimited". Technically it is not the same thing, but it essentially does mean certain infringements are acceptable.

I think the Young case finally brought out the real issue which is when is public safety allowed to overcome our rights and when can public safety not overcome our rights. Currently the courts have been siding with public safety through the use of intermediate scrutiny. This issue has been a problem since Korematsu and the court has said nothing about the issue. It was left unresolved in Heller and McDonald. It continues to be unresolved because we choose to bring cases that don't resolve the issue any more than Heller/McDonald. Nobody bothers to explain why intermediate scrutiny is being misapplied. They baselessly claim that the court really used rational basis. Without a detailed explanation of what is wrong how is the court supposed to fix the problem.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Say what?

He's not a fan of the NRA.

It is not about the NRA in particular. There are a lot of organizations that have funded lawsuits.

They all seem to want to fight, but it is how they go about it that is the problem. They run around trying to fight laws but don't bother to understand why they are loosing. They don't do a lessons learned. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lessons_learned

Instead they move from law to law trying to fight a fight that has already been shown to loose. It is a sign of an ineffective organization when you do not bother to understand why things are failing or how to make the next fight better.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    That public safety position goes two ways. Why should innocent citizens be at risk of illegally armed criminals? Who is really at risk in public? fred55

That is not how any of the 2A cases have been argued. The argument presented is about an individual right and apparently this right has nothing to do with public safety.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That public safety position goes two ways. Why should innocent citizens be at risk of illegally armed criminals? Who is really at risk in public? fred55

That is not how any of the 2A cases have been argued. The argument presented is about an individual right and apparently this right has nothing to do with public safety.

The government always makes that argument, because the federal/state/local government has no responsibility to protect the individual.

Guess who said that?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

The government always makes that argument, because the federal/state/local government has no responsibility to protect the individual.

Guess who said that?

Every anti-2A law (infringement) on the books is passed to "provide public safety from firearms" is it not? fred55

I agree that the public safety position goes two ways and the reason that these laws are passed are to "provide public safety from firearms".

The problem is that our side focuses in on the individual right and make almost no effort to describe the public benefits of an individual right.

I don't believe the government makes the argument that it has no responsibility to protect the individual because that would undermine the government's argument.

What the government does is blame the gun rather than the person committing the crime, which why they can develop scary sounding correlations, but are unable to demonstrate that the gun is the underlying cause.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    It’s a catch 22. If the “public” doesn’t have standing how will the case be heard? The “individual” that has standing is the reason to be heard? I’m not trying to be difficult, just pointing out the issue of not ruling on the “intent” of the 2A. Even if it’s not convenient for the politicians and their court appointments. They did take that “Oath.” fred55

Gun control has nothing to do with public safety. There are scores of examples of how guns save lives. If it were about public safety 2 things would happen

1) Everyone would be encouraged to carry

2) Criminals who use guns to commit their crimes would actually go to jail for a LONG time...

Nope...gun control is about the left fulfilling their agenda... To control the population from cradle to grave...like China does...

Until pro gun advocates use the empirical evidence available to show citizens the true nature of gun control gun owners will always be playing defense...One day (relatively soon) the left will be successful and we will have lost our rights completely.,.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't believe the government makes the argument that it has no responsibility to protect the individual because that would undermine the government's argument.

If I recall correctly, the government already made that argument, and it was confirmed by SCOTUS.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Until pro gun advocates use the empirical evidence available to show citizens the true nature of gun control gun owners will always be playing defense...One day (relatively soon) the left will be successful and we will have lost our rights completely.,.

It doesn't matter in the emotional argument. Facts are irrelevant

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    If I recall correctly, the government already made that argument, and it was confirmed by SCOTUS.

Warren v DC

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I should clarify my statements to 2A cases where the government wants to restrict your rights. To my knowledge the government has not used the limitations on protecting individuals in those 2A cases. They certainly do use that argument anytime someone tries to sue them for failure to provide police services.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    riddle me this

Ok, ad nauseum you have stated how others have incorrectly argued cases. Instead of telling others how they are doing it wrong, can you come up with a correct argument to litigate? As you know, COTUS is to keep those who rule over us in line, not used by said rulers to rule over us. You talk in ambiguity, much like horoscopes and fortune cookies.

I do not know you nor really care to but your replies are always the same. You can quote laws but you have nothing to bring to bear. Even quoting, you appear- by others' responses to you- to not have it all....

Any amendment can be argued for the children, for safety, for whatever bogus reason. Does not make it right. Too much feelings and not true reading of the law

Asking for a friend.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ok, ad nauseum you have stated how others have incorrectly argued cases. Instead of telling others how they are doing it wrong, can you come up with a correct argument to litigate? As you know, COTUS is to keep those who rule over us in line, not used by said rulers to rule over us. You talk in ambiguity, much like horoscopes and fortune cookies.

I do not know you nor really care to but your replies are always the same. You can quote laws but you have nothing to bring to bear. Even quoting, you appear- by others' responses to you- to not have it all....

Any amendment can be argued for the children, for safety, for whatever bogus reason. Does not make it right. Too much feelings and not true reading of the law

Asking for a friend.
    :popcorn:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Asking for a friend.

Sybil the Soothsayer approves of this post

Howard Beale weeps

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

Asking for a friend.

I don't claim to "have it all". COTUS can only keep those who rule over us in line if it is correctly argued. How are those 2A cases going? Are those who rule over us really being kept in check? What should be done about it?

I choose to talk about why I think the cases have been argued incorrectly. I have begun to submit these arguments to courts. See my Amicus Briefs for :
    10th Circuit Bump stock Case (Aposhian v Barr), View attachment JAC amicus Apohian v Barr - final.pdf
    Ninth Circuit CA MAG ban (Duncan v Becerra both the panel brief and the brief in opposition to an en banc rehearing) View attachment JAC amicus duncan v becerra Final.pdf View attachment JAC amicus duncan BIO.pdf
    Ninth Circuit HI carry case (Young v HI) https://pdfhost.io/v/I5m4UGe00_YoungAmicusJohnCutonillipdf.pdf
    and I am planning to submit an Amicus Brief with CATO and NCLA in the DC bump stock case.

Are these detailed enough? What else should I be doing? What are you doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom