• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    My basement is now a BB and pellet range! I should have thought of doing this years ago. We have six pistols and a two rifles:

Pistols:

• Beretta 84fs BB
    • Tanfoglio Witness 1911 BB
    • Umarex Walther PPQ BB/Pellet
    • Umarex M&P 45 BB/Pellet
    • Umarex Legends Blowback P.08 BB
    • Crosman Vigilante Revolver BB/Pellet

Rifles:

• Legends Cowboy Lever Action CO2 BB Air Rifle
    • Crosman DPMS SBR Full Auto BB

Thus far, I've run a CO2 cartridge worth of BBs through the PPQ. Really good accuracy with both types of BBs I tried with it! The M&P 45 clone, which is the same platform, is shooting high and not as consistently, but it has smoother trigger. Next up will be the 1911.

Once I figure out how all of these work, I'll bring my 11 year old to the range. The homemade target backstop, Amazon box filled with packing paper, layered magazines, and an old unfinished latch hook from my mom, seems to be doing the job for BBs. I'll work up something different with old clothing for the pellets so I can recover the lead!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Once I got the hang of it, my results with the M&P 45 improved. The M&P 45 & PPQ both have a heavy trigger. I'd compare them to the double action pull on a stock S&W Model 19, ~12-13 lbs. Good practice for sure.

I just finished up with the Tanfoglio 1911. WOW! That's everything I hoped it would be. Accurate. Realistic. And surprisingly, I think I got more shots from one co2 cartridge on the 1911 than I was able to with the PPQ & M&P 45. The recoil of the blowback is just enough to add some extra challenge. My groups on this one were the best of the three I've shot. (I'm not surprised.) Next up, the P.08.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    My basement is now a BB and pellet range! I should have thought of doing this years ago. We have six pistols and a two rifles:

Pistols:

• Beretta 84fs BB
    • Tanfoglio Witness 1911 BB
    • Umarex Walther PPQ BB/Pellet
    • Umarex M&P 45 BB/Pellet
    • Umarex Legends Blowback P.08 BB
    • Crosman Vigilante Revolver BB/Pellet

Rifles:

• Legends Cowboy Lever Action CO2 BB Air Rifle
    • Crosman DPMS SBR Full Auto BB

Thus far, I've run a CO2 cartridge worth of BBs through the PPQ. Really good accuracy with both types of BBs I tried with it! The M&P 45 clone, which is the same platform, is shooting high and not as consistently, but it has smoother trigger. Next up will be the 1911.

Once I figure out how all of these work, I'll bring my 11 year old to the range. The homemade target backstop, Amazon box filled with packing paper, layered magazines, and an old unfinished latch hook from my mom, seems to be doing the job for BBs. I'll work up something different with old clothing for the pellets so I can recover the lead!

My almost 11 year old got the DPMS SBR FA BB today from Santa. The battery for the RDS was dead but that hasn't stopped him from doing multiple mag dumps with a big grin on his face.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    My almost 11 year old got the DPMS SBR FA BB today from Santa. The battery for the RDS was dead but that hasn't stopped him from doing multiple mag dumps with a big grin on his face.

Awesome! Sounds like we both had the same idea! When he went to the Christmas tree this morning, that was the first package that he grabbed and wanted to open. Of course, I made him wait. :lol2:

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Awesome! Sounds like we both had the same idea! When he went to the Christmas tree this morning, that was the first package that he grabbed and wanted to open. Of course, I made him wait. :lol2:

My boy had a lever action Red Ryder so when he opened the BB's we played it like they were for that.

He then opened a case of CO2 cartridges and my daughter said "hey, those are for making whipped cream at the restaurant... Santa really messed that one up". She knows that the ones at the shop are NO2, she just kept stringing him along until he opened the DPMS. I looked at the Sig one but ended up deciding on the same one as you.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Awesome news!

I remembered practicing Bullseye with a Daisy 747 back in the 90’s and wound up selling that Daisy when I got into USPSA and then IDOA, etc.

This Fall, something rekindled those memories (probably an upcoming Indoor Gallery Pistol Winter League) and so I started researching match grade or close to it.

Wound up with a Daisy 753S rifle and a Air Venturi V-10 and it has been a blast (not to mention the dividends have quite obviously spilled over into my practical pistol shooting!)

They are both extremely accurate - WITH MATCH GRADE PELLETS. For the pistol I stay below 8.0 gr.s and for rifle i shoot 8.0 gr.s and up ...

Attachments

• 511FEFFD-3623-4FDA-BE73-E0A2C8D4E6F5.jpeg
      511FEFFD-3623-4FDA-BE73-E0A2C8D4E6F5.jpeg
      15.3 KB · Views: 396
    • EE2FDAB9-1572-401A-98EC-128C4C6171AF.jpeg
      EE2FDAB9-1572-401A-98EC-128C4C6171AF.jpeg
      12.9 KB · Views: 385
    • 795EEBEB-DD60-4EC9-BABD-071CB1B5482A.jpeg
      795EEBEB-DD60-4EC9-BABD-071CB1B5482A.jpeg
      8.4 KB · Views: 392
    • 102EA208-2F6A-484F-8BD4-55E120DBCE58.jpeg
      102EA208-2F6A-484F-8BD4-55E120DBCE58.jpeg
      6.3 KB · Views: 390
    • ADFEED2F-0228-44DD-A4F2-667BFF9FE035.jpeg
      ADFEED2F-0228-44DD-A4F2-667BFF9FE035.jpeg
      13.9 KB · Views: 394
    • 6D23A087-2E35-4782-9E81-E8041DC3A2E2.jpeg
      6D23A087-2E35-4782-9E81-E8041DC3A2E2.jpeg
      7.8 KB · Views: 391

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    not to mention the dividends have quite obviously spilled over into my practical pistol shooting!

That is my hope. I shoot Tuesday night bullseye at AGC weekly. Being able to do this in the basement is a lot more fun than dry fire practice - not a replacement, but certainly more time thinking trigger control! Plus. it gives me a chance to help my son with his pistol skills.

Speaking of which, he just shot the P.08. Fun pistol. Nice trigger and action. It seemed to chew up the cartridge quickly though. I'm still learning these thingies, so maybe I didn't have it seated well.

Next up, the Beretta 84fs. That's my wife's carry pistol, so this is obviously her piece of the puzzle (& buy-in). :lol:

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Speaking of which, he just shot the P.08. Fun pistol. Nice trigger and action. It seemed to chew up the cartridge quickly though. I'm still learning these thingies, so maybe I didn't have it seated well.

Of the pistols in the group, the Crosman Vigilante was definitely the most accurate for me. Not surprised, but the next one was. I was able to quickly shoot a ragged hole with the P.08. I like this one. The subsequent cartridges lasted longer, so the first one must have not been seated well.

The Cowboy rifle shoots great, and the DPMS has not disappointed other than spending most of our time with it loading the mags. IMHO, this is a good problem to have. :party29:

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    The Cowboy rifle shoots great, and the DPMS has not disappointed other than spending most of our time with it loading the mags. IMHO, this is a good problem to have. :party29:

Nice! I set up a range earlier this year and had that same problem. The new 300 round mag for the DPMS works really well. I also converted it to HPA so there's no drop off. A 13ci bottle is good for ~1200 shots. New problem: the trigger is so heavy(~10#) that I now pull it with my middle finger because my index finger gets worn out.

I'm looking forward to opening up the bottle regulator and seeing how different pressures affect the performance over the winter. I've got a 10 yard shot in my living room. I made a cover for my television to make sure I don't accidentally put a round through it :D

i-5cw5bmR-M.jpg

I also converted a KWA for the same reason. I made a little holster/bottle holder that has a speed loader in the pocket for convenience. I go through 18 rounds so fast on this thing. Reloading was immediately a huge issue but with a few modifications to the magazine(drilled a loading hole/altered the slider so it holds in place) and the old school cheapo speed loader its a lot faster now.

I got it intentionally because the reviews said it was very inefficient--which means it's wasting a lot of gas on a strong recoil. That's not an issue with HPA and makes it a blast to shoot. The trigger is very good--tested at 3#.

i-ksZvV5K-M.jpg

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Nice! I set up a range earlier this year and had that same problem. The new 300 round mag for the DPMS works really well. I also converted it to HPA so there's no drop off. A 13ci bottle is good for ~1200 shots. New problem: the trigger is so heavy(~10#) that I now pull it with my middle finger because my index finger gets worn out.

I'm looking forward to opening up the bottle regulator and seeing how different pressures affect the performance over the winter. I've got a 10 yard shot in my living room. I made a cover for my television to make sure I don't accidentally put a round through it :D

i-5cw5bmR-M.jpg

I also converted a KWA for the same reason. I made a little holster/bottle holder that has a speed loader in the pocket for convenience. I go through 18 rounds so fast on this thing. Reloading was immediately a huge issue but with a few modifications to the magazine(drilled a loading hole/altered the slider so it holds in place) and the old school cheapo speed loader its a lot faster now.

I got it intentionally because the reviews said it was very inefficient--which means it's wasting a lot of gas on a strong recoil. That's not an issue with HPA and makes it a blast to shoot. The trigger is very good--tested at 3#.

i-ksZvV5K-M.jpg

Oh NO, you did not just post that! OMG, I was just wondering if I could do the same thing. Where did you find the mag and what brand?

I have old remote parts, belts w/tank holders, and tanks that I used for my paintball guns that might come in handy for such projects. The o-rings are probably trash, but that's easy to fix.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I remember setting up a bb gun target range in my basement as a kid. We used bottles, tin cans, and little green army men.

For some reason, have to clean up the glass in our finished basement rec room really pissed off my mom....

Rob..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Youngest shot her air rifle in the Bsmt for years before getting a SCATT system. Electrician putty does a great job stopping pellets. Target box held the USAS air rifle target in front of a piece of Masonite and worked very well.

Target frame:

a6a112d98c13260830521e38b9f717e8.jpg

Electricians putty:
    630dab68e7e071a3656a4d6e02661f1e.jpg

SCATT software - replaced need for live fire
    d43d8edb9168a7f2ecd5f2902127bd65.jpg

ed91efb2995cee16cac93ccb81b99983.jpg

Masonite front after months of practice
    360e2749b3cef0543a56d9dc6b61aab7.jpg

Target frame on shelf @10meters
    97a4c5890708c14f86a80027781290cb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Looking a bit more into HPA, it looks like you don't want to use old CO2 tanks for it. Not a big deal. Definitely want to keep things safe.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Looking a bit more into HPA, it looks like you don't want to use old CO2 tanks for it. Not a big deal. Definitely want to keep things safe.

CO2 tank have a SWP (safe working pressure) of just 1800psi. SCBA tanks (make sure it's 4500psi and not the 2216psi) can be had pretty cheap on ebay. Just make sure to get one with current hydro and a couple years of life left if you will be having it filled at a shop. You can expect to pay between $30 and $40 per year of life left on the tanks. ie a 2008 manufactured tank will cost you between $90 and $120 delivered. Plenty of expired tanks there if you have your own compressor. Also if taking to a shop I'd get the biggest tank (60min) as they usually charge the same $$ where it's 30min, 45min or 60min tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom