• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    WOW !!!

That IS VERY well written and I like where they throw in Curran's Manifesto for good measure, leading to the nefarious 'intent' behind FSA 2013 and the HQL ... not that it would matter to this court. :rolleyes:

Reading through the filing while thinking about who will sit in judgement, my mind drifted off to a movie scene from quite a few years ago ...

Not to cast aspersions on the court, but I do feel that one or two of it's member's names are on someone's 'ledger' ... :innocent0

Switch the juries ... no, switch the Judges. AND, "Never stop fighting till the fight is done !"

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Lol, I like the use of Kolbe ...

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...lawsuit-our-response-to-the-motion-to-dismiss

The Fourth Circuit’s decision in Kolbe confirms that Plaintiffs’ challenge must be analyzed under strict scrutiny. The court noted that “[n]othing in our decisions today affects or calls into question the Second Amendment protection of . . . Heller’s handguns,” Kolbe, Slip op. at 68. The court called a handgun “‘the quintessential self-defense weapon,’” id. at 52 (quoting Heller, 554 U.S. at 629), and stressed “the relevance of the handgun’s status as ‘the quintessential self-defense weapon’ — a status that was obviously and unquestionably important to the Heller Court.” Id. at 70 (quoting Heller, 554 U.S. at 628-29). The Fourth Circuit held that the restrictions on the long guns at issue in that case, if protected by the Second Amendment, would warrant only intermediate scrutiny, “in part because the [challenged law] leaves citizens free to protect themselves with handguns . . . .” Id. at 69. In this case, however, Plaintiffs challenge a complete restriction on their ability to acquire and possess the “quintessential self-defense weapon,” and only strict scrutiny can apply under Fourth Circuit precedent. See Hosford, 843 F.3d at 168 (stating that intermediate scrutiny applies to laws that regulate rather than restrict).

As alleged in the Complaint, the HQL Statute restricts rather than regulates the “central self-defense concern of the Second Amendment,” self-defense in the home. Complaint ¶¶ 54-57. Plaintiffs, and all Maryland citizens, are prohibited from acquiring what Heller and Kolbe recognized to be the “quintessential self-defense weapon” for self-defense in the home unless they undertake the onerous and redundant HQL application process. The HQL requirement reaches into the homes of law-abiding, responsible citizens to prevent them from arming themselves with these protected firearms. Under the two-part test adopted by the Fourth Circuit, as reaffirmed in Kolbe, the State’s restrictive HQL scheme must be tested under the strict scrutiny standard of review. Woollard, 712 F.3d at 878.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Why did I have to see this thread at 12:30 at night. 190 pages is just a little too much reading for this hour. I'll take a look at it in the morning. Thanks for posting it and I'm sure I'll enjoy the read.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom