My first AR pistol build (FTE question inside!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    So I just took my first AR pistol out yesterday. After the first few shots (and a couple incredible fireballs!) I experienced a FTE, and after clearing that one experienced several more. I was using Tula steel (Cheap, whatever ammo) and I've never had a single issue after hundreds of rounds of this stuff in any of my other rifle length AR's. I'm ordering the BCM extractor upgrade today as well as polishing my feed ramps. I would appreciate any and all feedback from anyone else who had similar issues with their AR pistol build. Here are the specs....

7.5 inch barrel
    Spikes t2 heavy buffer
    Standard spikes buffer spring
    Noveske kx5 muzzle device
    Fortis 7" rail
    Spikes upper and lower
    Phase 5 pistol tube
    Magpul afg2
    Browning red dot (got it for free lol)
    Ares NIB BCG

ga7aty9a.jpg

u2u5egup.jpg

Here are two of the FTE's

ejebytuh.jpg

yqu9y4yp.jpg

And one fireball just for fun.

2avave9u.jpg

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    Someone smarter than me should be along shortly to talk about a gassing problem from the kx3. Try shooting it without it if you can

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    just my opinion..

1) looks like dry bcg from the pic

2) the third pic the bolt didnt extend far forward enough to clear the carrier. i.e. the extractor didnt fully clear the carrier. held on the spent casing and double fed.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    From what I see, looks like it's possibly undergassed.

You can try a lighter buffer and some lube on the BCG, that might get you running right.

Another option is to use better ammo too, S&B comes to mind since they load on the hotter side and would likely generate more gas pressure than Tula.

*Of course that all wouldn't mean jack-shyt if your gas-block isn't aligned properly, so probably wouldn't hurt to check that as well.

LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    I gave the BCG a good coating of EWL slip 2000 before shooting, After looking at the pics it does appear I could have went a little heavier on the lube. I figured a NIB would handle the light coating of lube better than a phosphate BCG but maybe not. A buddy had a mag full of brass from United gun shop and I experienced the same issue. So you think the buffer is too heavy? The gas system is all aligned properly. I am running a 7.5 barrel from Ares and a troy low profile gas block.

What do you guys recommend as far as a hotter load that isn't super expensive that I can just blow through a few boxes of? I have heard of other people drilling out the gas port on he barrel to make it ever so slightly bigger but I would like to avoid this until all other options have been exhausted.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    From what I see, looks like it's possibly undergassed.

You can try a lighter buffer and some lube on the BCG, that might get you running right.

Another option is to use better ammo too, S&B comes to mind since they load on the hotter side and would likely generate more gas pressure than Tula.

*Of course that all wouldn't mean jack-shyt if your gas-block isn't aligned properly, so probably wouldn't hurt to check that as well.

I was kind of thinking the opposite. Could be over gassed, and may need a heavier buffer SPRING to slow things down, not a lighter buffer to speed things up more.
    I'm using a sprinco extra power buffer spring (red spring, from the fellas at engage armament) with the same T2 spikes buffer, on a 7.5 Inch barrel. Runs like a champ, not one issue.
    BCG does look dry especially for running steel cased.
    Sick build MLFHNTR83 grats on finishing it!!

LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    I was kind of thinking the opposite. Could be over gassed, and may need a heavier buffer SPRING to slow things down, not a lighter buffer to speed things up more.
    I'm using a sprinco extra power buffer spring (red spring, from the fellas at engage armament) with the same T2 spikes buffer, on a 7.5 Inch barrel. Runs like a champ, not one issue.
    BCG does look dry especially for running steel cased.
    Sick build MLFHNTR83 grats on finishing it!!

I've got a carbine buffer and heavy buffer already in there. I might have to look into the spring from engage that was mentioned above. Any idea what that thing runs? I shot brass .223 and had the same issue. I guess I should put extra lube on the BCG and try some NATO.

LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    I've heard of a lot of people doing that. Do you really think it performs better than soaking the BCG in a firearm specific lube?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    OP, Slip 2K is plenty fine of a lube for an AR - Mobil 1 is just cheaper and more readily available, that's why it's used/recommended so much.

W/out actually being on-site to witness the malfunction, the best any of us can do is a (slightly educated) guess as to the issue.

In my experience, a really over-gassed AR is going to have a diff't type of ejection issue - ripping the rim off the case. Been there, done that.

If it's a brand new build, I'd personally run about 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 55 or 62gr ammo thru it first. That shit's loaded warm, and generates more than enough pressure. If it chokes on that shit, then take it to a smith and let them figure it out.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Check ejector operation while you are in the carrier assembly. May be binding or a spring issue. Gas port/block alignment also.

Using good 5.56 ammo as others have said would be first thing to do aside of a good inspection and lube.
    My experience with Wolf and Tulsa ammo is it is a soft shooter in carbines and rifles.

LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    i agree that tula is rather weak. it might work fine with a 556 or try a lighter buffer. do you know the gas port size?

I couldn't tell ya the gas port size. It's an Ares barrel. I checked on their website and cannot find specs on it. I'll try shooting some 5.56 and I'll throw my new BCM extractor in and see what happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom