• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Worried about the muzzle blast being too obnoxious for the folks shooting on the line with me. Change back to the original flash hider for the class?

And, yes, I know an AR doesn't need a brake, but I use one for precision-work and follow up shots at distance and it's a pain to time. I could use another AR, but we will be shooting out to 300-600 yds and I want to use this particular AR because it's the one most capable of engaging at those distances.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd email the instructor for advice. The only brakes I run are ASR brakes, so I could put on a blast shield in a real pinch.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Brakes in classes suck. Like, really bad. Personally, I don't understand why anyone uses a brake on a 5.56 (unless needed as a suppressor host.....in which case, use the suppressor). If it's the type of class where you'll all be on line shooting together, your neighbors will hate you.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Leave it on. If people take these classes, they should understand that they will be close to other people shooting. If someone complains, offer them a set of foam earpugs for under their muffs. I personally double up with pugs and electronic muffs when shooting around other people because I expect others to actually using their firearms.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Worried about the muzzle blast being too obnoxious for the folks shooting on the line with me. Change back to the original flash hider for the class?

And, yes, I know an AR doesn't need a brake, but I use one for precision-work and follow up shots at distance and it's a pain to time. I could use another AR, but we will be shooting out to 300-600 yds and I want to use this particular AR because it's the one most capable of engaging at those distances.

Who is the course with and what type of course is it? It sounds like it may be more precision oriented (?). Or is it billed as some sort of "defensive carbine" class? If the former, it may not matter much. If the latter, I'd ditch the brake and/or contact the instructor. I know and know of many instructors who prefer no brakes in classes (Paul Howe and Greg Ellifritz come to mind immediately).

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Leave it on. If people take these classes, they should understand that they will be close to other people shooting. If someone complains, offer them a set of foam earpugs for under their muffs. I personally double up with pugs and electronic muffs when shooting around other people because I expect others to actually using their firearms.

This. I use all sorts of muzzle devices on my ARs, I have a 300blk out with the YHM QD brake that can host a suppressor, and it comes with blast shield. Chad is picking up a 5.56 that I just finished to pin and wield a STS face stabbing 4" brake. I want to build one using the old M16 long flash suppressor, preceded the bird cage flash hider. I go to the range expecting the guys next to me to be firing off .50 Desert Eagles or Shotguns. I find the noise less bother some than the shot impulse

rkouns2003

Jul 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I did an ar class recently with green ops. I have a lantac dragon on my ar which I love. The only comments were from the instructors when they were using the shot clocks right next to me. No complaints. If you shoot better with it leave it on. Just my experience and my 2 cents. Have fun

SwerveAM

Jun 26, 2011
    Brakes in classes suck. Like, really bad. Personally, I don't understand why anyone uses a brake on a 5.56 (unless needed as a suppressor host.....in which case, use the suppressor). If it's the type of class where you'll all be on line shooting together, your neighbors will hate you.

Or if you have to move to a state like CA and have to put em all everything....

Oh wait, that’s what I have to do :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom