• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    After putting a binary trigger on my .223/5.56 AR it was suggested I also install a muzzle break. I'm completely ignorant on the subject except I was told with muzzle breaks "you get what you pay for so don't go cheap". Like most things I figured the real high end would probably be a waste of money too so I'm leaning towards getting the sort of middle of the road VG6 PRECISION - AR-15 EPSILON 556 MUZZLE BRAKE 5.56.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations ?

Also wondering if I need to get a crush washer. Or would there already be one I could use after taking off the A2 flash hider ?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not for the purpose of a binary trigger, but I wanted to be able to decrease my follow up time so I was pointed in the direction of an adjustable Compensator.
    I don't know that there are many choices there, but I got the Effin A MKII.
    I still have not mounted it and adjusted it though so I can't comment on how good it did for me.
    It is not cheap (close to $100 I think)

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Not for the purpose of a binary trigger, but I wanted to be able to decrease my follow up time so I was pointed in the direction of an adjustable Compensator.
    I don't know that there are many choices there, but I got the Effin A MKII.
    I still have not mounted it and adjusted it though so I can't comment on how good it did for me.
    It is not cheap (close to $100 I think)

Yep, that's the whole idea......making the gun more controllable for multiple shots.

$100, if it does the job, would be money well spent IMO

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I went ultra cheap on an AR that I wanted to shoot a little 3 gun with and bought one of the "competition" brakes from ebay for ~$15. Makes a huge difference in the recoil. It doesn't look super "tactical" and the finish is a little rough but it does the job very well. It's been on there through at least 3K rounds and I haven't had a single problem.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    The guy in the lane next to you at the range doesn't like your muzzle brake.

Jp enterprises disclaimer "Muzzle brakes by their very nature redirect high pressure gasses and can blow dirt or other materials present in the shooting area back towards the shooters or bystanders"

"shooterS" or "bystanders" = guy in the next lane. LOL

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    When I'm firing my Saiga 12 with the brake, this is what happens to the guy in the next lane.

Attachments

• persp-maxell-hed-2012.jpg
      persp-maxell-hed-2012.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 164

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the good news is i spend VERY little time on a static range. sight it in, get some dope, and then it's pretty much just competitions after that. so, i don't piss off too many shooting bench neighbors with my braked rifles.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I happen to know the guys who owned VG6 before Aero bought them out. One of them still works there. Excellent products overall and the story behind the guys who make it is pretty cool, though the lack of suppressor compatibility (as far as I know . . . which isn't very far) is a long term problem for me. I have a .308 gamma on a precision rifle, a 5.56 gamma on my "CQB" ar15, an epsilon on a "DMR" type ar15, and .300 blk and 6.8 brakes stored away for a rainy day (factory blemishes that were given to me for free). They are pretty loud, as muzzle brakes tend to be. Overall I like them a lot, and they did well in The Truth About Guns muzzle brake testing. I won't pretend to be objective since I have literally just explained that I have a personal relationship with the company/brand, though I would be happy to let anyone test fire my rifles if I run into you at the range.

Unfortunately I got into the NFA game recently, so I will probably have to take them off their respective rifles someday when all my suppressors get out of NFA jail. I'll find a use for them though.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    jprifles.com are a pretty big thing in the competition (3 gun etc) world, can't go wrong with one of theirs

I have the VG6 Epsilon on my AR pistol build and love it. I say go for it, but it can be had for much less than $100. I got mine here:

http://www.tomstactical.com/vg6-epsilon-aero-precision-5.56-muzzle-break-flash-hider

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE ADVICE !

^Went with those two ^

From Brownell's the Jp Rifle one was only $91 dlvd with 2 washers thanks to promo code LDD. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...28-steel-black-sku452-015-120-7593-18906.aspx

And the one gwoodburn suggested was $55

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Skip the brake and get a suppressor. Your neighbors on the range will love you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom