• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I wonder if there is also a ton of spare parts that have been stored along with the pistols all these years?

Two background checks and no C&R...brilliant!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In Maryland two background checks for a handgun is SOP. You get one when you get your HQL and another when you buy the gun.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    What? No.

I don’t have an HQL. And if I did, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have to get a new one every tine I bought a handgun.

Let's start over.

Get a new HQL every time you want to buy a handgun?

Or get a new background check done every time you buy a handgun?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Let's start over.

Get a new HQL every time you want to buy a handgun?

Or get a new background check done every time you buy a handgun?

An assertion was made that performing 2 NICS checks is SOP in Maryland, and then it was stated that 1 is performed when you apply for an HQL and 1 is performed when you purchase a handgun. The inference I drew from those comments was that the poster was attempting to justify or explain or rationalize the CMP's decision to require 2 NICS checks in connection with the purchase of a M1911 from the CMP - one by the CMP and one by your 01 FFL; that, really, Maryland isn't any different from the CMP.

While it is true that a NICS check is done when you apply for an HQL and when you apply to purchase a handgun, that fact is irrelevant to this particular discussion and, more generally, does not support an assertion that 2 NICS checks is SOP.

An HQL is good for 10 years. An 03 FFL is good for 3 years. A person with an HQL or an 03 FFL can go 10 and 3 years, respectively, between needing a new licensure NICS check. Those checks are one-and-done. The holder of an HQL or 03 FFL who purchases 700 handguns through a Maryland dealer while licensed would submit to 701 NICS checks over the license term.

My point is that SOP is to conduct one NICS check for each purchase.

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    A US&S 1911 sold for $4,500 on GunBroker. I expect that all of the US&S guns as well as the Singers will go to auction and bring that or more.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I wonder if there is also a ton of spare parts that have been stored along with the pistols all these years?

Two background checks and no C&R...brilliant!

There were massive amounts of NOS USGI parts released to the public over the decades, but I suspect the services hung onto a lot more parts. They will have to be handfit, and I would assume CMP is getting the armorers trained now.

CMP does not have the capability to parkerize, so they send parts out for that. If they end up grading the 1911s similarly to every other firearm they’ve sold, there’s a strong likelihood a “service grade” could be anything from a pure arsenal rebuild from 1953 to a pistol the CMP armorers built from reparked parts last week.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    US&S and Singer models will go into someone's personal collection long before they see the light of day at an auction.

I doubt that, since abnormal or rare guns that come through the CMP typically get culled right away when the containers are opened. Then they decide whether to auction them or not. If they are one of a kind you can typically see them in a kind of ad hoc display at the warehouse in Anniston. I find the auction site to be a frustrating place because a lot of collectors way overbid as a kind of donation to CMP. As a result you can’t use the final auction prices as an indication of worth.

They used to have a program where you could volunteer for the CMP, but they did away with it because they were worried about exactly what you mention. I guess they must have caught a volunteer stealing parts.

Jul 1, 2012
    "updated 12/12/2017" so not that old :)

sounds like the 1911 hotline is being handled separately:
    "The customer will have to send in a complete new order packet with all new qualifying criteria included. Everyone will be a new customer, everyone starts with no advantage or disadvantage"

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'll give CMP credit.

They are doing everything in their power to ensure fair purchasing policies are in place.

I like the fact that every person, regardless of prior affiliations with CMP, has to start from scratch.

Good on them.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'm getting more upset every time I get one of the stupid emails from the CMP. The CMP is basically screwing over FFL-03 holders by refusing to sell 1911's directly to them. This is going to make it even more difficult to convince other FFL dealers to sell C&R pistols directly to FFL-03 holders.

Mark Johnson isn't doing us any favors by denying the lawful transfer of these pistols directly to FFL-03 holders. This is one more cut into our 2A rights.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Mark Johnson isn't doing us any favors by denying the lawful transfer of these pistols directly to FFL-03 holders. This is one more cut into our 2A rights.

I know, on one hand I'm glad their plans are probably to ward of as many lib attacks as possible by doubly ensuring that nothing gets in the hands of an unlawful buyer, but realistically that's exactly why we as FFL03s jump thru the hoops. Having a c&r lic ain't just for buying mosins.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just saw this on Cast Boolits. maybe old news.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=349851

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP's enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

So, how do you value a pistol that has never been on the market? How do you set the prices? Every pistol will hold differing values depending on the manufacturer, date of manufacture and condition of pistol. Way too many variables for these handguns.

A Singer is going to be worth more than an everyday Colt. Will they then price each handgun with an appropriate street value?

I see this as a complete Urkel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom