Votes: 5 3.6%
    • No

Votes: 132 96.4%

• Total voters

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I dont know any DC residents, but I think that Washington slept there..... :)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I dont know any DC residents, but I think that Washington slept there..... :)

Lol, actually he lived in Alexandria when he was just a cartographer/surveyor and except for maybe Georgetown DC was still a mosquito ridden and smelly swamp all the way up until he died. He did lay the corner stone of the Capitol though, so maybe he did stay overnight once or twice. :D

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Lol, actually he lived in Alexandria when he was just a cartographer/surveyor and except for maybe Georgetown DC was still a mosquito ridden and smelly swamp all the way up until he died. He did lay the corner stone of the Capitol though, so maybe he did stay overnight once or twice. :D

I always love seeing how he carved his initials at Natural Bridge.

Heebs

Nov 12, 2008
    I'm a DC resident. I actually need some help on how I can get some stripped lowers for an AR 15 and AR 15 pistol though I'll make a new thread for that.

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    And it looks like I am #2...

By the way, I enjoyed my visit to Myrtle Grove Friday. That was my first time shooting in Maryland since getting my riflery merit badge at Camp Rodney back in 1993!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    "Curio & Relic"? I have yet to investigate... but something I should look into-
    Imagine this, with a C&R FFL with a DC address you could buy a C&R handgun out of state that is legal to register in DC then bring it back to DC to register without having to pay the fifty or more dollars it would cost for the sole DC FFL to transfer it there for you.
    You could also concievably bypass one step that would take you an extra few days to register.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Would this classify as a C&R?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_and_Used_Handguns.html

The only FFL I know is some guy in SE or SW who wants $130 or $150 per handgun.

Yup, sure is a C&R. You cannot buy one in MD easily, and it might be difficult to convince a retailer to ship it to you in DC because they are still learning the new laws, but you could buy one in Virginia or most other states and bring it back with you. Upon entering DC you call the registration section to let them know you have it, then within I think two days you have to go down to the registration section to start the registration process.
    Please remember that you cannot posses the ammo for it inside DC until you have your registration card for the gun.

Also remember if you buy a semi auto that the magazine cannot hold more than ten rounds, so if you bought a CZ82 semi auto handgun which is also a C&R, and if DC lets you register it (I have to ask them if you still can with the recent law change), you will have to alter the magazine to only take ten rounds.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Would this classify as a C&R?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_and_Used_Handguns.html

The only FFL I know is some guy in SE or SW who wants $130 or $150 per handgun.

Ok, te MPD police sergeant responded, but I think he is wrong because their own pamphlet says C&R handguns can be registered.

The complete California Roster of Handguns Certified
    for Sale, as of January 1, 2009, is provided below.
    The District law provides for a few exceptions
    to this list, including firearms defined as curious
    and relics (27 C.F.R. § 478.11)
    and certain pistols
    designed specifically for use in an Olympic event.
    The Chief of Police is authorized to periodically
    revise, by rule, the roster of handguns permissible
    for sale. An owner of a handgun that is not on this
    list but was lawfully registered before January 1,
    2009, may sell it to a firearms dealer licensed in
    the District of Columbia.
    http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/frames.asp?doc=/mpdc/lib/mpdc/info/pdf/firearms_eligible_registration.pdf

A36driver

Mar 31, 2009
    Washington, DC
    One of the few, one of the proud ...

DC resident since 1978. Recently registered a new Glock 17, plus two vintage Browning over-and-unders and a Savage .22 rifle. It sure felt odd to tote those three long guns through the streets of DC to the police HQ to register them. Even though they were in cases, I thought some LEO would stop me and inquire what I was up to. Nothing happened, and the process was smooth.

They don't make it easy or cheap. DC's only FFL is a very nice guy, but the transfer fee for my Glock was $125, plus the various DC MPD charges for fingerprinting, ballistics check, etc., etc. The police are friendly and professional, but all things even, I'd rather not to have to visit them quite so often. Getting the Glock legal required two police visits and two FFL visits -- you have to REALLY want to do this.

I got all this done before the training requirement took effect, but my understanding is that registering anything new from here on will require training, so I went and got it -- alas, "handgun only" is stamped on my certificate. I understand the instructor's reluctance to certify me as safe for everything -- we live in a litigious society, and he might be liable some day, somehow. But what a pain if I have to go get trained again for rifle/shotgun. Cost me $180, by the way, for a good one-day, one-on-one course with range visit.

(By the way, I grumbled to the MPD officer one day that I'd been shooting all my life and couldn't imagine what they could teach me about safety in four classroom hours that I didn't already know. He matter-of-factly said DC police get 40 hours of safety training, so I shut up. And I have to admit that I learned a lot in my course. I agree you can never know too much about safe procedure.)

The DC firearms police warned me that I might be smart not to buy anything else new until April or later, because the rules could change and I could be required to re-register everything I've already registered. Won't that be fun? Waiting for more info. I haven't had the heart to call.

I usually dislike it intensely when Congress bigfoots the local government -- we may have serious governance issues here, but it's OUR government, just like Chicago's and a lot of other big cities with their own problems. Congress likes to treat DC like a toy, which is bound to be irritating to people who live here (yeah, yeah, I know what the Constitution says -- anyone who's lived here as long as I have has heard all the pro-con arguments about our legal status, and gets what Congress' authority is). All that said, I'm embracing hypocrisy, suspending my usual don't-tread-on-me principles and quietly rooting for Congress to wipe away our onerous gun laws. The more you try to jump through all the hoops, the more you realize this is more about harassment than any reasonable government interest in safety.

Who knows? Maybe we'll get CCW rights some day. I've heard there's another Heller-like case brewing that would add "bear" to the "keep" Heller gave us.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Mucho welcome and mucho thanks fot eh information!

The April law change is not one for being more strict as I understand it, but rather a change back to the previous law because Congress has to approve the DC Emergency Act law signed in January which has the California legal and training requirements. If Congress does not approve it, then I think it technically it reverts back to the 1976 law banning handguns....but which is moot because the Supreme Court said it is....but I have no idea what happens at this point.
    There are enough Democrats in COngress that are pro RKBA to not approve the Emergency Act possibly, so if that happens it could get very complicated. However, if my guess is right, it would not mean you would have to re-register anything unless they pass another Emergency Act making you which is not too likely because the lawsuits and the slap in the face from Congress would make even Mendelson realize a more moderate, less restrictive gun law seem more palatable to pass.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    By the way, handgun carry permits are possible on paper at least because DC is "may issue". If you are Rosie Odonnel, then you or your body guards might be able to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom