• ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Many people are not aware of this.
    They also allow non-resident permits.

District of Columbia Official Code 2001 Edition Currentness Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners.

Title 22. Criminal Offenses and Penalties. (Refs & Annos)

Subtitle VI. Regulation and Possession of Weapons.

Chapter 45. Weapons and Possession of Weapons. (Refs & Annos)

§ 22-4506. Issue of licenses to carry pistol.

The Chief of Police of the District of Columbia may, upon the application of any person having a bona fide residence or place of business within the District of Columbia or of any person having a bona fide residence or place of business within the United States and a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by the lawful authorities of any State or subdivision of the United States, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol within the District of Columbia for not more than 1 year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in duplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Mayor of the District of Columbia and shall bear the name, address, description, photograph, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, and the duplicate shall be retained by the Chief of Police of the District of Columbia and preserved in his or her office for 6 years.
    Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners.

Title 22. Criminal Offenses and Penalties. (Refs & Annos)

Subtitle VI. Regulation and Possession of Weapons.

Chapter 45. Weapons and Possession of Weapons. (Refs & Annos)

§ 22-4504. Carrying concealed weapons; possession of weapons during commission of crime of violence; penalty.

(a) No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law, or any deadly or dangerous weapon capable of being so concealed. Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in § 22-4515, except that:
    (1) A person who violates this section by carrying a pistol, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law, or any deadly or dangerous weapon, in a place other than the person's dwelling place, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both; or

(2) If the violation of this section occurs after a person has been convicted in the District of Columbia of a violation of this section or of a felony, either in the District of Columbia or another jurisdiction, the person shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both.

So, since anyone with a permit to carry in Florida are going to apply for a concealed carry permit in D.C.? This could be the next test in front of the courts on may issue vs. shall issue.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks Novus, a friend of mine is a Capitol Police, I'll sling an e-mail his way and see if he can get an application for me.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Update:
    Heard back and my buddy didn't know anything about it (he's a dept. firearms training instructor, not on patrol, etc.), but says he'll ask about when he goes on shift tonight.

Meantime, the wording of this is almost exactly like MD's, so I doubt many get this permit issued. I'll look into it more, request an application and hopefully apply, but if it truly is as arbitrary as it seems, I may not waste my time with it.

TheYoshi

2A Fanatic
    Feb 13, 2008
    People's Republic of MD
    Update:
    Heard back and my buddy didn't know anything about it (he's a dept. firearms training instructor, not on patrol, etc.), but says he'll ask about when he goes on shift tonight.

Meantime, the wording of this is almost exactly like MD's, so I doubt many get this permit issued. I'll look into it more, request an application and hopefully apply, but if it truly is as arbitrary as it seems, I may not waste my time with it.

It would be great if we could get a pdf of the application (assuming it's not a carbon transfer form or something) so we could all just print it out and send in a bunch.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Update:

I am not positive, but with the few exceptions like Congressmen and maybe some celebrities or their body guards, I doubt many were issued.....or maybe the handgun to be used has to be registered in DC and since no one since 1976 has been allowed to register a handgun no one has gotten one since.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since 1976 the forms were not even given out, may no longer even exist in paper form. But 10 or 15 yrs ago was article in Wash Post as to the fact that there were still a few permits outstanding, that had been renewed without lapse, and still in effect. Many holders were getting well up in years, and quite a few dieing off from natural causes, or retiring to Fl.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Since 1976 the forms were not even given out, may no longer even exist in paper form. But 10 or 15 yrs ago was article in Wash Post as to the fact that there were still a few permits outstanding, that had been renewed without lapse, and still in effect. Many holders were getting well up in years, and quite a few dieing off from natural causes, or retiring to Fl.
    I asked the MPD sgt. in charge of the registration section about how many handgun permits were issued to civillians in DC. He said in his entire career he only knew of one (he was kind of young though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom