• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    Someone school me on what happened after Heller, please...

You no longer need locks on your long guns...that's about it...:lol:

In reality, Heller gave citizens the right to own a handgun. DC promptly came up with emergency legislation that makes getting a Permit for that handgun a real PITA...to the tune of $800 + 15hours + 4 trips to MPD:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103836.html

They have a handgun registry and other CA styled laws, which are being challenged in Heller II. Heller II was shot down in March, but is being appealed.

It's still not a fun time at all in DC for someone wanting to lawfully own a handgun in the home, even post-Heller. Heller DID finally separate firearm ownership from the Militia, saying it is an Individual right. You can finally put the Prefatory Clause of the 2A to bed now Brady...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You no longer need locks on your long guns...that's about it...:lol:

In reality, Heller gave citizens the right to own a handgun. DC promptly came up with emergency legislation that makes getting a Permit for that handgun a real PITA...to the tune of $800 + 15hours + 4 trips to MPD:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103836.html

They have a handgun registry and other CA styled laws, which are being challenged in Heller II. Heller II was shot down in March, but is being appealed.

It's still not a fun time at all in DC for someone wanting to lawfully own a handgun in the home, even post-Heller. Heller DID finally separate firearm ownership from the Militia, saying it is an Individual right. You can finally put the Prefatory Clause of the 2A to bed now Brady...

IIRC there is also currently a case brought by Gura challenging the "bear arms" portion of the DC law. Can't remember the plaintiff's name however.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    IIRC there is also currently a case brought by Gura challenging the "bear arms" portion of the DC law. Can't remember the plaintiff's name however.

That's the Palmer v. DC case...trying to get the "Bear" part of the Operative Clause in effect for a Federal District. Heller II is more along the "Keep" and "Infringed" part of RKBA.

Both Heller II and Palmer appear to be on hold...pending the McDonald outcome.

2010 is going to be a great year...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Wow look at those comments in that article. Complete morons, the whole lot of them.

That's why I stopped my Washington Compost subscription years ago. The people who publish it are asshats and won't get one dime of my money. I can read their drivel on line for free.

I once put some paper from the Post in my cat's litter box. He refused to use it. Know why?

Would have been redundent. Smart cat.

:lol2:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's the Palmer v. DC case...trying to get the "Bear" part of the Operative Clause in effect for a Federal District. Heller II is more along the "Keep" and "Infringed" part of RKBA.

Both Heller II and Palmer appear to be on hold...pending the McDonald outcome.

2010 is going to be a great year...

Yup that's it.

Fingers crossed for 2010

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I believe this is nothing more than a ploy by McCain to keep his seat. There is no support for the bill and no corresponding bill in the house, which means this is a huge long shot at best...

I could be wrong, but this looks like a classic election year smoke screen to me.

Hopefully I have read things wrong and many of McCain's colleagues will jump at the chance to get this passed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Just me .02 cents.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The latest from NRA-ILA

McCain, Tester, Childers, and Souder Introduce Bills To Reform D.C.’s Gun Laws

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, April 30, 2010

This week, Senators John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Jon. Tester (D-Mont.), and Reps. Travis Childers (D-Miss.) and Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.), introduced the “Second Amendment Enforcement Act.” The Senate and House bills (S. 3265, with 14 Senate cosponsors and H.R. 5162, with 64 House co-sponsors, respectively) would eliminate several of the District’s most restrictive gun control laws passed in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller.

“We believe that residents across this country should be able to exercise their constitutional right to have access to firearms to protect themselves,” Sen. McCain said. Sen. Tester added, “This legislation sends a clear message: Washington, D.C., isn’t an exception when it comes to law-abiding folks and their Second Amendment rights.” Rep. Childers noted, “Today’s legislation seeks to secure for District residents the rights reinforced by the Supreme Court’s decision in Heller.”

Since the mid-1970s, D.C.’s gun control regimen has been similar to laws imposed in countries where—as Second Amendment author James Madison put it in The Federalist—“governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”

The D.C. gun reform bills will move the District’s gun laws away from their European (and worse) model and closer to the mainstream laws that are in place in most of America. The bills would abolish the District’s deliberately difficult and costly firearm registration requirement, its restrictions on carrying a firearm for protection on private property, its post-Heller ban on hundreds of types of semi-automatic firearms denigrated as “assault weapons,” its ban on standard defensive magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, and its California-style “microstamping” law and handgun "roster" system.

Anticipating continuing efforts by the D.C. Council to suppress gun ownership by preventing dealers from conducting business in the District, the bills also provide for D.C. residents to legally buy handguns from FFLs in Maryland and Virginia, and they prescribe reasonable conditions for the lawful transportation of firearms within the District.

Furthermore, because the city’s elected officials have demonstrated hostility toward the Second Amendment—imposing its “microstamping” law, “assault weapon” ban, ban on magazines holding over 10 rounds, and “unsafe handgun” ban (which the city modified after the ban was challenged in court)—the Childers and McCain bills prohibit the city from enacting new laws designed to thwart the exercise of the right to arms.

NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox declared NRA’s support for the Childers-Souder and McCain-Tester bills, noting that NRA “remains committed to restoring the right to self-defense for law-abiding citizens in Washington, D.C., by whatever legal or legislative means necessary.”

Not everyone views the new legislation so favorably, however. In a press release, D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) derided the “new and more dangerous National Rifle Association gun amendment” (sic) because it would allow the city to regulate, but not prohibit, the carrying of firearms. (In Heller, the Supreme Court recognized that the Second Amendment “guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation.”)

Norton repeatedly mischaracterized the potential effect of the bills. For example, she claimed that they would stop the city from prohibiting guns within schools that do not have metal detectors--ignoring the fact that the bill would retain the District's general ban on carrying firearms outside the home. The city’s mayor, Adrian M. Fenty (D), said that to “permit more guns in the District would be a major step backward for public safety,” but didn’t explain the basis for his prediction. Nor did he explain how, to date, D.C.’s draconian gun laws have enhanced public safety in D.C.

We encourage all NRA members to contact their U.S. Senators and Representative and ask them to cosponsor this important legislation. You can find contact information for your legislators by using the "Write Your Representatives" tool at NRA-ILA ::, or you can call your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121, and your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom