• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    no excuse for this out of a factory gun.
    maybe it was made on a monday or friday.:rolleyes:
    seriously their QC has slipped.

IF he bought this from an IP, they should be doing the Leg Work to get the gun repaired & returned...

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    OP,
    Sounds like you would probably be well justified in asking for warranty service. That said, couple of other options if you don't plan to pursue that:

1. If you're getting hang-ups loading by pushing the slide lock down, try pulling the slide all the way back and releasing it (slingshot technique). May or may not help but perhaps worth a try.

2. Could always have a gunsmith modify your slide with what is commonly called the Bob Marvel disconnector cut. It's basically a 5 degree "ramp" cut into the breech face end of the stripper rail that's designed to ease the disconnector down more gently during cycling.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Thank goodness you don't have a POS Kimber Classic Stainless Target II. If you send it back to Kimber, they say its cracked and will offer you a new one at cost. THen when you refuse their offer and get the get the POS back, you can't find a single crack and put another 500 rounds through it with no major issues. WTF.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Opps , sorry I'm late to the thread .

The problem is that it is a 9mm, not a .45acp ( or .38Super ) .

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Referencing your picture #1....how can the slide be locked back when the slide stop is not fully engaged??? How did you do that? I'd say it was a magazine problem except for my next comment.....

Referencing pictures #2-#7.....I've never seen a 1911 that looks that BAD after firing. Is that "BRASS" particles/shavings all over that firearm?? Wow!

That thing needs to go back to DW with detailed photos and a description of the problem.

Personally, I would not shoot it until it was fixed.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Referencing your picture #1....how can the slide be locked back when the slide stop is not fully engaged??? How did you do that? I'd say it was a magazine problem except for my next comment.....

Referencing pictures #2-#7.....I've never seen a 1911 that looks like that after firing. Is that "BRASS" particles/shavings all over that firearm?? Wow!

That thing needs to go back to DW with detailed photos and a description of the problem.

Nah that is the Dan Wesson magic pixie dust, evidently OP broke the reservoir and it leaked out.

OP not making fun just having a little fun...:innocent0

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    In the picture where the slide is locked in between battery and slide lock. There is NO magazine in it. It's not ammo related. Because once I would get a round to chamber it ran like a champ and locked back on the last round. When i went for a subsequent reload it all went to hell once i inserted a magazine home. So it would lock out completely before it even would have a chance to feed another round in the chamber. Slide release, mag relesse, and slide itself would turn into cement.

I fired 150 rounds or so of brass case freedom munitions 124 grain and some winchester. I lubed with slip 2000 everywhere and a little bit of grease on the rails (on top of the slip) and disconnector both of which seemed to come completely off after my first rack after assembly.

As for the "hanging" issue I noticed thst right out the box with no take down. After playing with it I could get it to "hang".

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Just an observation. Having owned and used a bunch of Colt 1911's, from 100 year old commercial models through GI A1's to Series 70's, I never owned a jamomatic. They all cycled flawlessly. It's when all the Johnnie-come-lately 1911's started coming out of the woodwork that I started hearing of feeding/jamming issues and general disgust with the design. Just saying...

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Yeah, let the factory deal with it, since it's warranty. They'll take care of you. Being built a little tighter shouldn't mean that it won't run.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Just an observation. Having owned and used a bunch of Colt 1911's, from 100 year old commercial models through GI A1's to Series 70's, I never owned a jamomatic. They all cycled flawlessly. It's when all the Johnnie-come-lately 1911's started coming out of the woodwork that I started hearing of feeding/jamming issues and general disgust with the design. Just saying...

And I had a brand new Colt series 80 in the early 90's that needed several issues addressed, including a loose (improperly staked) plunger tube and a completely unpolished feed ramp. And yet my cheap RIA has been great.

Stuff happens. I assume that they'll square it away under warranty.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017

That is a failure to know the 1911 production history. The mid-1970’s through 80’s were a time where a new 1911 from Colt had to go immediately to a gunsmith to make it work (citation: Michael Bane, Downrange Radio and other sources). Many manufacturers deviate from the spec in good and bad ways.

Magazines have been a problem for a long tine and caused companies such as Checkmate, Wilson Combat, etc to seek solutions.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Opps , sorry I'm late to the thread .

The problem is that it is a 9mm, not a .45acp ( or .38Super ) .

You are incorrect. 9mm is just fine in a modern 1911, especially a Dan Wesson. Their factory mags are good, but WC ETM are better. DWCS will take care of this.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That is a failure to know the 1911 production history. The mid-1970’s through 80’s were a time where a new 1911 from Colt had to go immediately to a gunsmith to make it work (citation: Michael Bane, Downrange Radio and other sources). Many manufacturers deviate from the spec in good and bad ways.

Magazines have been a problem for a long tine and caused companies such as Checkmate, Wilson Combat, etc to seek solutions.

I can agree with this. I had two Series 70 Colts I purchased new in the late '70s and early '80s that while accurate as hell, weren't particularly reliable. It's not that they were consistently unreliable, just that they would occasionally have a hiccup...never figured out why. That was unacceptable in a pistol for defense.

I will say that every Colt on the 1911 platform I've owned since the late 1980s has been superbly reliable and accurate. While Colt may have had their problems as a company, they do produce some damn fine handguns.

Two S&W revolvers (Models 19 and 66) I purchased during the same late '70s and early '80s were each defective and needed warranty repairs. All gunmakers have had periods of quality control problems...a lot can be traced to whomever was the corporate owner and tried to cut quality as a money saver or was committed to quality.

Regarding 1911 magazines...I've never had a problem with a factory Colt, Wilson Combat or Shooting Star. I'm sure there are others that are good but I haven't tried them. No name gun show magazines...nope...won't even allow one in my home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom