• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firedog1979

Be part of the solution!
    Mar 19, 2017
    Maryland
    Anyone carry any of these self defense policies or have any suggestions or recommendations? Like USCCA ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firedog1979

Be part of the solution!
    Mar 19, 2017
    Maryland
    I'm with USCCA. $13/month for $325,000 coverage that extends beyond carrying (e.g., home defense). Plus you get their magazine.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it seems like a good idea especially because I CC in other states while traveling.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I hope to never have to shoot someone in self defense but I do have Utah, Va, and Florida CCW. This might seem naive but in this area (MD), Couldn’t some zealous prosecutor make the argument that if you have this type of insurance you were more likely to shoot the upstanding citizen you caught breaking into your home with burglary tools, and a duffel bag full of money and jewelry you kept in your safe, as well as your prized paw printed poster of the Taco Bell dog you were gonna sell to help finance your kids college?

I get that it’s insurance, and it would be very expensive to defend yourself if you were involved in a shooting, but it seems kinda expensive for a very remote chance of you using it? The prices being quoted are a bit less than what I pay for my umbrella insurance policy in the seven figures in case I get sued. Doubt it covers shooting someone in self defense, but it does cover the more likely scenario of being sued for a car accident, or someone drowning in my pool, or someone slipping and falling off my deck and impaling themselves accidentally on my grill skewers below (I have big skewers...)...

Does anyone know of anyone who has used this insurance? I get the peace of mind part of it, but it seems expensive for what it is.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    The standard umbrella policy is a policy with a huge deductible. The deductible is the amount of coverage provided by your underying home and auto insurance policies. The USCCA policy will provide bail money and hook you up with a vetted 2A attorney to get you out of the slammer and advise you during your interviews with authorities after the event. When I have to follow up on my statement that "I'll be glad to talk with you when I can have my attorney present," I want a skilled "suit" sitting with me. I evaluate risk (the statistical probabiity of an adverse outcome) in terms of probability of an occurrence AND the magnitude of the negative outcome. I assess the occurrence likelihood as low, but the magnitude of a negative outcome as extremely high. Based on that, I carry protection.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    *****I hope to never have to shoot someone in self defense but I do have Utah, Va, and Florida CCW. This might seem naive but in this area (MD), Couldn’t some zealous prosecutor make the argument that if you have this type of insurance you were more likely to shoot the upstanding citizen you caught breaking into your home with burglary tools, and a duffel bag full of money and jewelry you kept in your safe, as well as your prized paw printed poster of the Taco Bell dog you were gonna sell to help finance your kids college?

I get that it’s insurance, and it would be very expensive to defend yourself if you were involved in a shooting, but it seems kinda expensive for a very remote chance of you using it? The prices being quoted are a bit less than what I pay for my umbrella insurance policy in the seven figures in case I get sued. Doubt it covers shooting someone in self defense, but it does cover the more likely scenario of being sued for a car accident, or someone drowning in my pool, or someone slipping and falling off my deck and impaling themselves accidentally on my grill skewers below (I have big skewers...)...

Does anyone know of anyone who has used this insurance? I get the peace of mind part of it, but it seems expensive for what it is.

USCCA covers you in any defensive situation, not just while carrying concealed. I've asked then about that specifically. In Maryland, where we have no castle doctrine in regard to criminal charges (we do have one for civil immunity if no crime was committed) this is good coverage.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    WARNING: WBAL TV reporter David Collins has signed on here at MDshooters (David_Collins)and has been fishing around to interview“someone who had purchased CCW insurance, likes it, and is happy to talk about it”.

I REPEAT: Do not fall for this TRAP! Your insurance arrangements are a PRIVATE MATTER. Anyone who gives Collins or any other reporter an interview on this subject will be portrayed as seeking a “Gunfighter Pass”.

Decline all interviews and recommend that inquiring reporters contact the USCCA or the NRA spokespeople.

Thank you for your attention to this.

Firedog1979

Be part of the solution!
    Mar 19, 2017
    Maryland
    WARNING: WBAL TV reporter David Collins has signed on here at MDshooters (David_Collins)and has been fishing around to interview“someone who had purchased CCW insurance, likes it, and is happy to talk about it”.

I REPEAT: Do not fall for this TRAP! Your insurance arrangements are a PRIVATE MATTER. Anyone who gives Collins or any other reporter an interview on this subject will be portrayed as seeking a “Gunfighter Pass”.

Decline all interviews and recommend that inquiring reporters contact the USCCA or the NRA spokespeople.

Thank you for your attention to this.

Got it! Thanks for the heads up!

Firedog1979

Be part of the solution!
    Mar 19, 2017
    Maryland

I appreciate that, however I’m not so sure that’s the case...of course I imagine that the right side is the side with the attorney that has the best argument...that being said I don’t see it as anything other than being responsible for you and your family....I don’t necessarily think that because you have insurance to cover an incident that you would be more inclined to have that incident. I get it, if you have a hammer everything is a nail but I don’t think that will fly in court if in fact you did the right thing according to the letter of the law. Even when you do the right thing your still going to court civil and or criminal, and owning a firearm carries this responsibility with it. Just like owning a home carries it own set of responsibilities. In so much that one could assume any reasonable, capable, and responsible person would own insurance for their home to reduce or defray the risk and/ or liability for the priceless Taco Bell poster being ruined by a busted water heater, one could also assume that the same could be said for a responsible, reasonable, and capable person owning a firearm. I mean this is all just me guessing as well because I’m no attorney nor do I own any sweet sweet prize paw printed Taco Bell dog posters.... for full disclosure....

Firedog1979

Be part of the solution!
    Mar 19, 2017
    Maryland
    USCCA covers you in any defensive situation, not just while carrying concealed. I've asked then about that specifically. In Maryland, where we have no castle doctrine in regard to criminal charges (we do have one for civil immunity if no crime was committed) this is good coverage.

Thank you!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As I stated, just because you have insurance is not an indicator of future behavior. I have auto and fire insurance too. I don’t drive around looking to cause accidents or hoping my house catches fire.

But I will admit to not being an over zealous states attorney either.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I went with USCCA as well.

Just for clarification, Maryland DOES have castle doctrine case history. The civil immunity law was called castle doctrine law but was not at all the same. Maryland is one of the oldest states with "your house is your castle" doctrine. Just wish the law makers would implement it into a formal law.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I went with USCCA as well.

Just for clarification, Maryland DOES have castle doctrine case history. The civil immunity law was called castle doctrine law but was not at all the same. Maryland is one of the oldest states with "your house is your castle" doctrine. Just wish the law makers would implement it into a formal law.

Yes, but Maryland currently has a requirement for a "duty to retreat" (see http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/states-that-have-stand-your-ground-laws.html) so any past castle doctrine in Maryland is meaningless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom