• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tony7815

Feb 11, 2016
    Does anyone recall how restrictive MD handgun laws were in 1980 or around that time. Just curious as to the extent restrictions have grown.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Once upon a time, when the world was young and Liberty strode among us, one could buy a handgun from a fellow citizen - yes, in those days we were "citizens" rather than subjects - without the not-disapproval of our masters. I even have a few from those distant days, before half of you were born.

Oddly enough, blood did not run in the streets, and no one went into convulsions at the sight of a firearm.

Since that time, we've Progressived closer to the Ideal State that our dear leaders envision for us.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Once upon a time, when the world was young and Liberty strode among us, one could buy a handgun from a fellow citizen ... without the not-disapproval of our masters. I even have a few from those distant days, before half of you were born.

YEP, been there done that...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've been searching, without success, for a long series of posts someone wrote a few years ago, that outlined the gradual imposition of firearms restrictions in MD. If anyone knows where it is, a link would be useful. This time I'll bookmark it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've been searching, without success, for a long series of posts someone wrote a few years ago, that outlined the gradual imposition of firearms restrictions in MD. If anyone knows where it is, a link would be useful. This time I'll bookmark it.
    Look for threads started by MDS user SPQM. He was archiving a lot of this information in the Maryland 2A and National 2A subforums in 2016 and 2017.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    We bought handguns from strangers that ran classified ads in the Bargaineer or Pennysaver. I don't remember it being a problem.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I remember placing for sale ads in the local fish wrapper er...sorry Evening Capital. Sold a Sears 12Ga pump action to a State Trooper for his son via this method. Never get a 'gun for sale' ad placed in any newspapers that I'm aware of locally these days.

It's as if they have video phones and can see my two heads when I call...

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Bob A Dutch V

Are you suggesting that a handgun purchase didn't have to go through an FFL?

Correct. Up until about 1996 (I forget the actual date) you could buy a handgun from an individual, shake hands and move on. No paperwork involved at all.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The Sun paper used to run ads for firearms in the classifieds too. It was a big stink when they stopped. We didn't have MDS to advertise stuff for sale.

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    That brought a tear to my eye. I remember the good old days, and your right, there was no blood in the streets!

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Correct. Up until about 1996 (I forget the actual date) you could buy a handgun from an individual, shake hands and move on. No paperwork involved at all.

October 1st. I bought a lot of handguns in the 7 or so months following my 21st and Oct 1.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    The "Saturday Night Special" gun ban is what got me started in the 2A fight. The first election that I was old enough to vote in, I voted against that referendum question.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cypher's link above covers carry .

As far as purchases -

1966 - 7 day Cooling Off period, and MSP background checks for purchases from dealers .

And that brings you up to 1980-ish era .

late '80s starts up with Handgun Rosters , and earliest AWBs, but those pick up speed in early '90s .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Oct 1, 1996.

Most MD Laws go into affect on Oct 1.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Basically, in 1980, you could buy any pistol you wanted, no approved list. If from a dealer, you had to fill out a 77r and wait 7 days. But personal sales were fine.

You had to buy handguns only in the state you resided (Fed law GCA 68).

FYI, long guns could only be purchased in your state of residence or an adjacent state, but only if your state law allowed this. This went away with FOPA 1986.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom