• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Baltimore area that can mill out a single stack AK to accept standard AK mags? Assuming this is legal? Purchased the gun 4 years ago.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Any gunsmith with a mill should be able to pull this off. It's been done with a Dremel, although it's not as pretty that way.

The bigger question is the bolt. Some of the Yugos came with a bolt that will only work with single stack mags.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Any gunsmith with a mill should be able to pull this off. It's been done with a Dremel, although it's not as pretty that way.

The bigger question is the bolt. Some of the Yugos came with a bolt that will only work with single stack mags.

I have a Zastava Pap, if that makes a difference. Doing this is MD legal right?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have one that was converted by Century. I think Atlantic can do it. Not sure though. Mine is awesome now, but it took a lot to get it that way.
    Before......
    image.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes, MD legal assuming it was purchased as a regulated firearm. If not, then I don't know.

You can do it yourself. I did it by hand to my Romak 991 with just a rotary tool in about 4-5 hours. I've put about 600 rounds through it so far, zero malfunctions with surplus steel mags or PMAGs.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=181406

For either rifle, you need to widen the single stack trunnion to take double stack mags in addition to cutting out the mag well. However, the PAP single stack bolt does not hang low enough to strip cartridges off of a double stack mag.

You'll need to either try a few surplus M70 bolts until you find one that headspaces, or find one that headspaces slightly short and ream out the chamber a bit more. You can probably find a member previously involved with the AK build parties who can help you adjust the headspace.

You could also build up that area of the bolt with a welder and then clean it up by filing. It's not a locking lug, so welding on it won't cause any issues. You don't need to build it exactly to M70 size. You can probably just build it lower to make it strip rounds. My Romak bolt is thinner than the one on my WASR, but it's just as low and strips rounds just fine. You can probably find a member previously involved with the AK build parties who can help you adjust the headspace.

jVKEKj.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So 922r or whatever it is doesn't effect the legality of doing this in any way?(not a lawyer).

Add the appropriate compliance parts. A stamped AK has 16 countable parts (15 if it doesn't have a removable muzzle device). Easiest way to get six US made parts would be to add a trigger group (trigger, hammer, and disconnector) and furniture set (stock, pistol grip, and handguard).

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You may already have the correct bolt. Or not. Good to check first. A friend of mine had a later import, and it had the correct bolt for a double-stack mag.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't think so. I have had this gun for like 4 years. Way before the "ban."

I'd rather not futz with it myself though. Can anyone recommend a shop around that can do this, and has experience doing it?

The 922r ban he's referring to was 1989. It banned imported "nonsporting" rifles and defined imported as having more than ten imported parts out of a certain list. That's regardless of where the receiver was made.

PappyDugg

Sep 6, 2018
    With the intent of making future modifications as mentioned above a shade easier for those wishing to undertake the magazine conversion, I thought I'd post a couple pictures taken during my experience. With a little much appreciated advice-tips from Ken792 I converted my Romak 991 from a single stack mantle decoration to a double stack ak. The whole process took approximately 5-6 hours considering the trunnion also needed modification to allow the passage of the wider magazines. This was my first time attempting a conversion such as this and my experience was rewarding. So much so that I may consider another in the near future. My advice, as best I can give it, to anyone considering undertaking this is to take your time and be deliberate in every sliver of material you remove. The attached pictures are of before and after, I tried to take plenty but they all turned out pretty similar so I'll just give you the meat and taters of it.

20180906_204946.jpg

20180907_181513.jpg

20180907_181453.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome PappyDugg !

We see you are friends with the well regarded Ken792 . But in any case , if you stop by the Introductions subforum you will recieve helpful information and useful links in addition to our usual friendly greetings .

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Been a longtime lurker to this post. I finally modified my eaa zastava single stack AK that sat in the safe for a long time to double stack. I got lucky and it fed just fine along the single stack bolt.

Canis slant cut buffer tube adapter just came today, and stopped by bass pro to grab an ak pistol grip. Looks and handles miles better than the thumbhole stock. I'm a happy camper.
    e2fde6f0dd5302af8bb5b15040753c55.jpg
    db5cca75a9292556c69c294fd8a0936e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom