• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firetick1

Jul 22, 2020
    I purchased a handgun about 2 weeks and now in the market for an HD Defense V3 MD. Does that require a 77r app or can I purchase just like a shotgun. Wasn’t sure if I needed to wait another 30 days.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I purchased a handgun about 2 weeks and now in the market for an HD Defense V3 MD. Does that require a 77r app or can I purchase just like a shotgun. Wasn’t sure if I needed to wait another 30 days.

https://www.msar.com/company/gun-sales-buying-process/

Non-Regulated Firearm Sale:

A non-regulated firearm sale will forgo the Maryland State Police background check and 7-day waiting period. Instead, one must complete a single form (ATF 4473) and must pass a NICS (instant) background check during the time of purchase (made by phone). One we are allowed to proceed (usually the same day), you may leave the store with your new purchase.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    As long as it's a rifle and isn't banned by name you can buy it just like you would a shotgun with no waiting. The 30-day wait is only for regulated items like handguns and lower receivers. Shotguns and rifles you can buy as many as you want a month or at a time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No more " Regulated Rifle " putchases in Maryland . If you can buy it at all, you can take it home with you .

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    Meanwhile, why not get your Designated Collector status, and be exempt from that silly 30 day wait?

This. It's literally filling out a form, getting it notarized and putting it in the mail. Cost you nothing but a stamp and a little time. Then you can get whatever you want whenever you want.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My question: why on earth is there a wait if you already own a gun?
    Very valid question. Even more dumb, you can buy 2 at once (i also happen to have 2 hands) , but can't buy another for 60 days...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Beware trying to purchase out of state even though the sale is legal. Saw a few Mossberg shotguns in Richmond Walmart but they refused to sell to Maryland ID holder.

That's been a Walmart policy for a few years, at least going back to 2014. Had the Walmart in King George refuse a sale then. Plenty of Va. gun shops that will sell a shotgun or rifle to you, just not many will an AR.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    There are plenty of politicians who think you buying more than one gun every 30 days shouldn’t be allowed under any circumstances, and I believe there have been several bills introduced. Personally if you have the money you should buy as much as you want!

It’s trickle down economics. You can buy a beautiful LWRCI AR15 was made right here in MD. Someone mined the aluminum and steel, a foundry worker alloyed it into bars, a worker forged the receiver, a machinist rifled the barrel and produced all of the 200 parts that make this great firearm. It’s amazing when you think of how many people it took to produce that one firearm then another few to get it to your home. If this industry had limits put upon it I guarantee the prices would skyrocket as dealers would have a hard time moving inventory and manufacturers would have a surplus and need to reduce capacity and increase costs.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not supposed to make sense . It's supposed to directly and indirectly confuse and infringe .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There are plenty of politicians who think you buying more than one gun every 30 days shouldn’t be allowed under any circumstances, and I believe there have been several bills introduced. Personally if you have the money you should buy as much as you want!

It’s trickle down economics. You can buy a beautiful LWRCI AR15 was made right here in MD. Someone mined the aluminum and steel, a foundry worker alloyed it into bars, a worker forged the receiver, a machinist rifled the barrel and produced all of the 200 parts that make this great firearm. It’s amazing when you think of how many people it took to produce that one firearm then another few to get it to your home. If this industry had limits put upon it I guarantee the prices would skyrocket as dealers would have a hard time moving inventory and manufacturers would have a surplus and need to reduce capacity and increase costs.

Polticians don't want those people to be forced to work overtime, nights or weekends to make more product for your habit.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^. and this demonstrates some of the flawed thinking. Exactly how many guns couldo e possibly use at a given time?

It also shows forward thinking. How many guns could be distributed to family and friends if there is a need?

Personally, I believe they thought it would prevent those buying just to flip quick... off the books. Hence MSP mandated to register all regulated transactions.

kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    Here is my take as soon as you get an HQL or buy your first rifle get a Designated Collector license. No more 2 gun limit every 30 days. I mean why wouldn't you it's free then after that get your C&R from the ATF for $30. C&R firearms can then be sent right to your house.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Here is my take as soon as you get an HQL or buy your first rifle get a Designated Collector license. No more 2 gun limit every 30 days. I mean why wouldn't you it's free then after that get your C&R from the ATF for $30. C&R firearms can then be sent right to your house.

You have to have purchased a regulated firearm to get the Designated Collector status. Since there is no limit on the number of rifles you can buy per month they don't count towards the DC. Only handguns work since there are no longer any regulated rifles. If you submit a DC application without having purchased a regulated firearm the application is going to end up in the trash.

It's 1 handgun every 30 days or 2 handguns purchased at the same time and a 60 day wait.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You have to have purchased a regulated firearm to get the Designated Collector status. Since there is no limit on the number of rifles you can buy per month they don't count towards the DC. Only handguns work since there are no longer any regulated rifles. If you submit a DC application without having purchased a regulated firearm the application is going to end up in the trash.

It's 1 handgun every 30 days or 2 handguns purchased at the same time and a 60 day wait.

A stripped lower qualifies as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom