Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old November 14th, 2017, 01:55 PM #1

Semi Auto Rifle Advice

Hi, I recently moved to Southern MD for my job (contractor at Pax River)

I am looking to purchase a semi auto rifle for home defense/SHTF/fun at the range.

My choices are limited by the insane laws here, but seeing whats legal and not out of stock everywhere, here are my choices:

1) M10X Pros: Gets excellent reviews, kinda unique, not a "me too" rifle, very accurate for 7.62X39, can use AK mags, tests show it as reliable, 7.62X39 is cheaper than 5.56 and hits harder. Cons: Not cheap, gets great reviews but isn't long term proven, and its a "grey area" in legal. The M10X Elite is listed as "not banned" but the M10X-Z, which is the one I want, is not listed. The FFls near me will not order guns that aren't listed as "Not Banned"

2) SLR106F: Pros: Very good reviews, long term tests proven. Its listed as "not banned" very clearly. AK reliability, though I hear its slightly down simply because I read 5.56 can jam more easily than 7.62X39. Cons: The exact model I want is sold out everywhere. If I want one that can mount a scope I need to pay a gun smith to mount a rail. Magazine situation sucks, its either a lame 5 round or a $45 30 round Bulgarian mag and I hear although its legal to have a 30 round mag here (can have it but not buy it... how does that make sense?) Some ranges don't like 30 round mags.

3) X95: Pros Gets very good reviews, and I like bullpups, I loved firing the AUG. It is reliable and cycles cheap ammo without trouble. It can use M4 mags. It comes ready with all the rails I could need and I hear the sites it comes with are quite good. I saw a review where the guy said he fired 2000 rounds without cleaning and it was working fine. Cons: Most expensive of the bunch, the best deal I can find is $1599 at Atlantic Firearms. This seems to be another "grey area" gun. They make a restricted state model, but the FFLs near me will not order a rifle unless it says "not banned" on the MDSP page.

4) Some AR-15 with an HBAR. Pros: AR-15 has a huge range of choices from $500-$2500 rifles... tons of attachments, and being in the army for 5 years I am familiar with the M4. Cons: I was not impressed with the M4 in the army... damn thing jammed often clean and all the time when dirty. I was told not to judge it off a used and abused vault gun but it left a bad taste in my mouth..... besides that, its just kinda boring to me. Everyone has an AR15.

I'd love to hear advice, or suggestions on other rifles that are legal, reliable, and fun to shoot.
JTC3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:58 PM #2
When All Else Fails.

When All Else Fails.

Buy an AR15.
iH8DemLibz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:00 PM #3

Sounds like a good starting list for your collection
Brychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:10 PM #4
Official MDS Court Jester

Official MDS Court Jester

Buy an AR 15. Its the most reliable of the rifles listed plus the terminal ballistics of even M193 are great at close range. (Avoid 855 it sucks) The other rifles are hard to get, hard to get parts for and have quirks. Buy an AR and enjoy a reliable accurate rifle that you can enjoy owning and later on look at other options for fun guns.

The peace sign is just the trigger and the middle finger.

What is Liberty Tree? Click this to find out
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=117200
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:10 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8DemLibz View Post
Buy an AR15.
I agree, start with an AR-15.

No matter what you choose, I would suggest visiting Gym Ratz in Mechanicsville. They have a huge presence on this forum and have had some of the best prices I've seen anywhere. The stuff I see from that shop on here kinda makes me wish i still lived down in the county... kinda.
gwoodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:12 PM #6

Bren 805. Have you thought about a 9mm AR? They are fun to shoot, and make a pretty good home defense carbine.
Bountied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:28 PM #7

Yes...an AR-15 or M4 (an AR-15 carbine)...you might consider a M4 in a pistol caliber. While not a long range SHTF type of firearms, it's excellent for close-in home defense.

Another thing to watch out for...once you own one AR-15/M4 you'll want another in a different configuration...and on and on.
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:31 PM #8

Let me rephrase your question for you :

Do you have an all consuming desire to own an M10 , SLR, or X95 , so badly you have to have no matter what ? If so follow your heart's desire and take the efforts to track one down .

If the question was open , and equally weighted , get an AR .

And yes, by all means pay a visit to the friendly knowledgeable people , at the well stocked Gym Ratz , close to you .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:49 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMexicanBob View Post
Yes...an AR-15 or M4 (an AR-15 carbine)...you might consider a M4 in a pistol caliber. While not a long range SHTF type of firearms, it's excellent for close-in home defense.

Another thing to watch out for...once you own one AR-15/M4 you'll want another in a different configuration...and on and on.
Couldn't agree more! Before you know it, you are building them from scratch from parts left over from updating previous rifles. Then you want to upgrade that rifle so you buy more lowers to use those left over spare parts in. It's a never ending cycle.... so maybe in that case you don't want an AR-15
gwoodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:02 PM #10
For great Justice

For great Justice

I would say a "good" 16" MD legal AR15 is the way to go for an all-around defensive rifle, they can be extremely reliable given a proper build, not really comparable to used and abused rifles issued in harsh conditions with a random collection of mill'ish spec parts. AK variants are fun, but being they are going for more than decent AR's, just not worth it, AKs in alternate "MD legal" calibers tend to have issues with reliability and parts availability and cost, especially mags. The M10X does look cool, but it's pricey and doesn't have a lot out about it yet, might make for a fine 2nd rifle, but I wouldn't want to rely on a new design, or be stuck defenseless if it has to go back for warranty work or to fix proprietary parts, where most anyone has parts available for AR's locally. Same with the Tavor, cool rifle, but expensive, and proprietary. There is a reason a lot of us might have nice fancy collections, but rely on something simple, reliable, and extremely common for actual defensive use.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles