Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot

Notices

Old November 12th, 2017, 08:05 PM #1

22wmr ammo question

Hi all, looking for a good overall 22wmr ammo that will be good for small game hunting at about 100 to 150 yards. I like to squirrel hunt at frederick watershed during the week and recently purchased at wmr rifle . ammo is a bit more then 22 so wqnt something that will work but not too pricy. Does anyone have a favorite brand they could steer me too?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Artillarylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:36 PM #2

Hornaday critical defense. 45 grain. Nasty round for a 22mag.
basscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:37 PM #3

We use the 30 grain Hornady VMax load for my Father-in-laws Marlin lever action. It is extremely accurate in his rifle and when zeroed at 50 yards still hits within 1 1/2 of POI at 100 yards...
edrod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:45 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artillarylover View Post
Hi all, looking for a good overall 22wmr ammo that will be good for small game hunting at about 100 to 150 yards. I like to squirrel hunt at frederick watershed during the week and recently purchased at wmr rifle . ammo is a bit more then 22 so wqnt something that will work but not too pricy. Does anyone have a favorite brand they could steer me too?

There are more flavors of 22WMR available today than ever. Like rifles generally, and with rimfires in particular, I'll bet the ranch that your particular 22WMR rifle will show a decided preference for one brand and bullet weight of ammo over others. You won't know until you give each brand a go.

Best advice I can give you is to buy a box of whatever you can get your hands on, settle in at the range, do some testing, and have fun with it. The good news is that 22WMR is again plentiful, as it wasn't long ago that it could be hard to find even one brand and bullet weight, much less several. Check Ammoseek.com for competitive pricing. Prices are better now than they've been in a number of years. The bad news is that, if you find a clear winner, and I believe you will, you ideally want to lay in a good stock of hunting ammo with the same lot number, which is hard to do with price driven online purchases.

Just by way of mention, you're also going to want to be selective with shots on squirrels, as WMR body hits at the wrong angle by mistake or on purpose can tear up some otherwise really good table fare.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:09 PM #5

squirrels

best go with the 22 long rifle, hollow points and head shots, no need for hv stuff, sv stuff works great. have fun, be safe
dedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:22 PM #6
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrod68 View Post
We use the 30 grain Hornady VMax load for my Father-in-laws Marlin lever action. It is extremely accurate in his rifle and when zeroed at 50 yards still hits within 1 1/2 of POI at 100 yards...
I've also found this same round to be very accurate out of two different 22 WMR rifles. I bought some from here ...

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...-max-50-rounds

Although there may be better prices elsewhere.

Here are 50 yard (lower right group) and 100 yard targets with the ammo (approx 1.5 inch center to center spread). Rifle was a CZ 512. My Browning T-bolt Sporter also shoots the Hornady V-Max well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:29 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedan View Post
best go with the 22 long rifle, hollow points and head shots, no need for hv stuff, sv stuff works great. have fun, be safe
The higher the velocity, the longer the point blank range. Just depends on how far out you want to stretch. The higher the velocity, the less it is going to leave of the squirrel with a body shot. So make sure you go headshot with a 22WMR.

Other than massive skill or not minding a lot of misses (or accidental body shots), itís rather hard to squirrel hunt past 50, maybe 60yds with SV 22lr. A 30gr VMax 22wmr if youíve got a steady hand, you probably can push a 100yd head shot on a squirrel.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:01 AM #8

I will also vouch for the Hornady VMax 30 GR 22WMR. In both my Marlin bolt actions it shoots noticably better than anything else I have tried.
2701Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:35 AM #9

Good Overall , and squirrel specific are two different things for .22WMR .

Most lightweight wmr is intended to be explosive on varmits . Squirrel you presumably wish to recover some meat , and further presume the choice of .22wmr is for extended range, and flatter trajectory .

To minimize meat damage , W-W 40gr FMJ .

Edging into all around , CCI 40gr Plated RN . While nominally a "solid" , the soft-ish alloy with relatively thing plating will generally mushroom to a degree.

Best actual all around is W-W 40gr JHP . Expands in similar manner to handgun jhp . ( Also good choice for hunting large for rimfire game , and SD in longer than snubnose bbls .)
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 05:30 AM #10

Thanks for all the info. I usually use a 22lr when small game hunting but I found a location there while bow hunting the other day in a small valley with tons of nest and the perfect backstop with a good sitting position to see the area. I figured I wanted to try a challenge with longer range hunting and did some research on .17 and 22 wmr, everything said wmr is better at saving meat but from what everyone is saying here I still will need to,go,for a head shot.

I've also never tried the SV 22lr ill have to pick some up

Artillarylover is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot