• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    handgun law and USA carry have significant differences in where they show DC resident carry license is recognized.

For example USACarry says DC resident license is recognized in Virginia and N. Carolina and not recognized in S. Carolina; while handgunlaw says it is not recognized in Virginia and N. Carolina, while it is recognized in S. Carolina.
    There are other differences as well. since I would prefer to decrease cards in my wallet I would like to nail down Va so I don't have to carry my Va non resident, and I also vacation in N. Carolina.

Anyone have an idea as to source material they use? Obviously this is not about reciprocity since DC isnt going to do that, but about recognition criteria. not blaming anyone since all this is new, but I would like to get to the bottom of it.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Virginia now recognizes all other states. States being the operating word. Might give a call to the VA AGs office.

OK, Virginia, by code, defines any reference to "state" in their code to include DC as a "state."
    § 1-245. State.
    "State," when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands.
    https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title1/chapter2.1/section1-245/

Looks like Va state police specifically note that
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm
    Reciprocity and Recognition
    Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit Reciprocity and Recognition
    As of July 1, 2016, pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.014, the holder of a valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state(1) may carry a concealed handgun in Virginia provided all of the below conditions are met:
    The holder of such permit or license is at least 21 years of age.
    The permit or license holder carries a valid photo-identification issued by a government agency of any state or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. Department of State.
    The holder displays the permit or license and the government issued photo-identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.
    The permit or license holder has not previously had a Virginia concealed handgun permit revoked.
    Although the law requires Virginia to grant recognition to all states that issue permits, those states may not authorize Virginia permit holders to possess a firearm in their state.
    Prior to traveling citizens should contact a representative of the state they intend to travel through to determine if that state will recognize their Virginia resident or non-resident concealed carry permit, or visit that state’s website for guidance.

1§ 1-245. State. "State," when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    So handgunlaw map
    (http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php)
    is wrong on Virginia, but is correct on their basic pdf :
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/USStatesThatHonorMyPermit.pdf
    Virginia does recognize DC permit, looks like both DC Resident and Non-Resident permit.

DC REs permit recognized:
    • Virginia: yes.
    • N. Carolina, almost certainly yes but not ironclad
    • W. Va., Yes, has permitless concealed
    • Md, NJ, NY Del no. and
    • Pennsylvania and S. Carolinia do not recognize it. But having a DC Res permit allows you to easily get a Pa permit and with more difficulty get a S. Carolina one

Note: these are all apparent. I am not phd on carry lic recognition.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    They appear to have two different maps referenced. I am getting this:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

On the non live map you reference, it excludes some permitless carry states (west Virginia is red) while it includes others (eg AZ)

Use the main link then click on DC
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

You can also go to each state's page and scroll down to that state's info. You can also click on the direct links to the state on the right. The state CCW site will tell you what states permits they honor.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Use the main link then click on DC
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

You can also go to each state's page and scroll down to that state's info. You can also click on the direct links to the state on the right. The state CCW site will tell you what states permits they honor.

I am glad they made the effort. I am just saying they have some mistakes. EG Alaska based on permitless but not W. Va based on permitless.

And North Carolina is not quite as explicit as Virginia. Virginia in its code says "states," but also in that code specifically includes DC, whereas N. Carolina says "states" but I can't find in heir code where they include non state entities such as DC.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You need to also be aware that either of those sites are not the definitive legal list for any state. I go look at the state AG page for the legal list. Citing Handgunlaw or USA Carry won't aid you in a legal defense.The state AG page would IMO.

I know the man (Gary Slider) who runs handgunlaw and he is always working to keep it up to date. I have found some old entries on USAcarry that make me prefer handgunlaw for non legal but accurate info.

VA has recognized all permit s effective July 1, 2016

SC only recognizes resident permits unless you own property there but live elsewhere. They require a tax assessor certification before they will issue to a non resident.

Federal law also states DC and PR are considered a state.

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    The Create a Map has a problem with the DC and Washington State maps. If you check DC it shows a map but the DC box is no longer checked. Check the Washington State Box and both the DC and Washington box are checked. Steve Knows about this but right now is unable to repair it. Medical Problems are keeping him from using a keyboard right now. If you want to see the states that Honor DC just go to the DC Page at www.handgunlaw.us

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    The Create a Map has a problem with the DC and Washington State maps. If you check DC it shows a map but the DC box is no longer checked. Check the Washington State Box and both the DC and Washington box are checked. Steve Knows about this but right now is unable to repair it. Medical Problems are keeping him from using a keyboard right now. If you want to see the states that Honor DC just go to the DC Page at www.handgunlaw.us

Much prayers for Steve. You, Steve and Swinokur do a great job in providing a vital service to the 2A community.

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    If VA recognizes MD permits how does the MD restrictions "While working as..." work in VA? I would never be working in VA so is my MD carry permit usable in VA?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If VA recognizes MD permits how does the MD restrictions "While working as..." work in VA? I would never be working in VA so is my MD carry permit usable in VA?

Does your restriction state "While working as" or "While conducting business as"?

We heard the MSP state last night, under oath, that if you are occasionally checking business emails or even thinking about business (seriously, they did, I see you laughing;)) then you are conducting business.

A member here has a small horror story about an incident in Michigan, but that is the only time I have ever heard of a LE agency even looking at the back of your card.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Just my non legal opinion but why would a state that does not use restrictions care what MSP says if you are not in MD? To them you either have a permit or you don’t especially if your business is in MD.

Just my non legal opinion and I have been wrong on more than a couple of occasions

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    Sorry, I just pulled the card out of my wallet and it does say " While conducting business as....". Is there any way to get a transcript etc. of the MSP stating "occasionally checking business emails or even thinking about business qualifies as "While conducting business..."? If that statement could be considered "official" I'm sure it would make a lot of CCW holders happy.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sorry, I just pulled the card out of my wallet and it does say " While conducting business as....". Is there any way to get a transcript etc. of the MSP stating "occasionally checking business emails or even thinking about business qualifies as "While conducting business..."? If that statement could be considered "official" I'm sure it would make a lot of CCW holders happy.

Check the HPRB threads for what it's worth and you will find what you are looking for.

Cyndi59

If states recognize Maryland CCW,why doesn't Maryland recognize theirs..knows this has been ask times and times before..you would think if Maryland snubs them why not snub Maryland as well as other states that do the same..sound so stupid..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Some states recognize all other states’ permits regardless of the other state’s recognition.

VA is one such state

MD is run by anti gun fanatics who mistakenly believe that controlling inanimate objects will reduce criminal behavior instead of punishing and controlling the criminals who commit the crime .

More liberal fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom