• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Something else that just occurred to me is that rifle like more than likely has a plastic trigger guard, like mine in 308 and depending on the magazine a small sheet steel spacer to index the mag.
    If the trigger guard rear screw has been over tightened in a way (cracked-distended) that affects the trigger bow bearing that could be a source of troubles.
    My go to hunting rifle for nearly thirty years is a LA 110 package gun that I bedded and replaced the trigger bow with a steel one from a T/C New Englander years and years ago and it made a world of difference.
    It likes 150 spitzers in .270 cal very well, never shot 130's very much better.

It is plastic - I'll check.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Put your thumb on the tang where it meets the stock and alternately loosen and tighten the stock's action screws, do the same at the barrel fore arm junction. See if you can feel the action move in the stock when you tighten or loosen the screws, it shouldn't move.
    Try putting a card or match book type carboard between the forend and barrel to put a little pressure on the barrel. If it changes or improves accuracy then it's the bedding. Does it stay sighted in? If not it's the bed.
    Are you trying different ammo? I have a Remington 700 and a Winchester 70 both .223 that wouldn't keep most factory ammo on a paper plate @100 but will shoot tiny one hole groups with handloads and Winchester bulk white box.

Thanks!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wood stocks * with proper- ish inletting * absent other damage or warping have given acceptable accuracy for 100 plus years . Presumably your glass bedding was done reasonably acceptably ? Going with usual suspects :

Bad/ loose scope mounting
    Defective scope
    Recheck wood- metal fit for warping or binding
    Ammo that is either marginal quality generally , or doesn't play well with that rifle .
    Damaged or defective crown
    Substandard barell .

Swapping a scope of known accuracy on another gun will eliminate that variable .

Ammunition of known accuracy in another rifle will partially eliminate that variable .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom