• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    What Trail cameras should I get dont want to spend much$$. I need one for behind the house and for 20 miles away.
    Thanks

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I've stopped using traditional trail cameras. I now use reo link security cameras they cost $200 plus $10 month for service and can be viewed live from my cell phone or set to send me messages when motion is detected

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Trail cams are a lot of fun. I've been using them for a couple of decades now. I am now using cheap ones from WalMart. Tasco I think. Thirty something bucks. They work fine and seem to last longer than some of the more expensive ones.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    What Trail cameras should I get dont want to spend much$$. I need one for behind the house and for 20 miles away.
    Thanks

I have a decent one for sale $60 NIB, 8gb card.

Attachments

• 20210729_112334.jpg
      20210729_112334.jpg
      102.8 KB · Views: 212

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Avoid Cuddeback. I've gone through 4 with the same board frying w visible scorch mark issue. I've only ever run energizer lithium batteries on these things and its rare than I get more than 2 months on them. Was able to get 2 replaced by them from warranty that failed within a year. The other two are 4 years old.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You need/want cell link i can’t give you advice

Browning strike force is basically the best on the market for pull card cams.

Anything WildInnovations has been a failure for me. Their ideas (360 cam, ultra mini cam) are awesome but they keep putting out half assed product.

I’ve not been happy with the Moultrie minis either.

I also am a big fan of Primos. They last forever.

If your trying to catch more than game, and you don’t need a cell service, browning is the best name in the game.

I’m awaiting about 10 solar spy points but I’m not expecting greatness

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Decide whether you want to use an SD card cam and pull the card once in a while to get the pics, or a cellular linked cam (there are a bunch out that are less than $100 (plus $5-10 a month for service)) and go from there. I use card cams, one Stealth and two Moultries and they owe me nothing at this point, still chugging along.

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    If you want cell enabled cams, I got good results from SPYPOINT Link Micros in my neighborhood, but bad results at our rural property (read: zero cell transfers). They seem to need a pretty strong cell signal—much stronger than my phone requires—to be willing to transfer. Even with an external antenna mounted like 15’ up a tree, in an area where my phone gets data, I have not been able to get them to transmit. Also, they sell an ATT version and a Verizon version, so if you plan to get one, check first to see which, if either, carrier has better coverage where you intend to put them.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I’ve had a Tactacam cell cam on my hunting land for about a year now and no problems. It’s on the Verizon plan, low signal in the area but it’s transmitting pix.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have several Browning Recon Force cameras that have excellent video both day and night. They are low glow cameras so they do glow somewhat at night - not much though. If you want no glow, then the Browning Spec Ops is a good camera, but night video is not so good. I have been running these 24/7 for 2 years with good results. You should use Energizer lithium batteries as someone already mentioned. These cameras cost about $180. Slate River makes a good screw in mount for $20, but you can also use a strap. I use python cable locks. I only do video, but I can extract a picture from the video using Adobe Premier software. Let us know what camera you decide to buy.

Last edited:

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Thanks

I use Amazon no-names behind my house with decent results, although I had to send one model back twice…moved on to another no-name.

Just put a Stealthcam Fusion X cellular and a battery pack with a solar panel on a property in Garrett Co. so far working well. We’ll see how it holds up. Paid a little over $100 for the camera, $60 for the battery/solar and another $30 for two Python cable locks. Still figuring out which data plan I’ll use but at worst I’ll pay $180 for a year of unlimited pics/data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom