• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Well, I figured it was past time for me to test myself and my kit.

Like many, I’ve been adding to the buckets, barrels and piles. I got some shit. Y’all probably do too.

As far as weapons, optics and ammo, I can say I’ve done a decent amount of training for proficiency. As a result, I feel much more comfortable with my weapons, manipulation and potential malfunction. I suspect many of y’all work with your weapons. Good deal!

There’s more to surviving than rounds on target.

First trip was one overnight with two days walking the trails. Worried not so much about chub rub since I lost a lot of weight when I retired. Hello humidity. Boxers soaked. Chaffing ensued. Lesson learned. Wear compression shorts and use body glide.

Packed way too much. Bag was 40#+. That’s UNSAT.

A good crop of plantar fasciitis this past year proved humbling in the woods. Insoles on the menu for next trip. Get the good ones. Worth the cheddar. All. Day. Long.

Had been talked into an ENO chair to sleep in. Mistake. For me anyhow. Great chair. Perfect for sitting. Not bad for sleeping...in short bursts. UNSAT for all night.

Water will always be an issue. Make water when and where you find it. “Reliable water” ain’t. Good water filtration is money. Dehydration always key but increasingly important as you age. Water is life.

Even in the spring, it gets cold at night. A long sleeved wool zip turtleneck and fleece watch cap proved welcome. Puffy jacket also welcome.

Hitchhiker came home with me. Damned tick was pretty burrowed in when I found him. Just FYI. I grew up in the land of ticks n chiggers so I knew. It happens.

Second trip was longer by design. Five days, four nights. Btw, both trips were on the PINHOTI trail in northern AL (yep, I know the AT is less than a mile from the casa). This trip was about extending walks and days/nights in the woods. AL was because my hiking bro was coming from Mobile.

Warmer, more humid, more bugs and more vegetation (read poison ivy et al) than maiden voyage. We intended 5-7 miles/day. We also expected some rain this trip.

ENO chair took a break this trip. Took my ENO hammock instead with rain fly and bug net and pad and pillow (I am not a savage). Much better choice. It’s a double hammock...400# test. Plenty of room and comfy.

Used my water purifying kit and stove much more this trip. Sawyer mini and JetBoil. Both pretty good. Easy to use. Effective. Worth it.

Chow was Mountain House. Good chow. Easy to prep. Filling. Don’t be deceived by the servings. A bag is a dinner for one...not two. Tuna fish bags for lunch. Instant coffee like VIA and either a Mountain House or a couple bars for breakfast. Snacks while walking to include some gel and or electrolyte kickers. Water. Water. Water. Oh, and a sweat rag (dish towel) on my HillPeople chest bag.

Who goes in the woods without a gun? Not this guy. Stainless JFrame in 357. 15 rounds total. Never needed it. (Bears there ain’t like bears here in WNC....there 75#s max.)

Turns out the majority of flat spots in that neck of the woods are down low near the water. Turns out that FLASH FLOODING is a big deal there. Pick your poison.

Averaged about six miles a day. Note to y’all who count steps/distance. On a track/flat ground, I am exactly 2200 steps/mile. In the woods, on a trail with varying elevation and 45 pound pack, it’s somewhere between 2500-3000 steps/mile. Lesson relearned for the LAST TIME. Lighten your load. Thirty pounds max.

Turns out your balance degrades with age. JUST LIKE YOUR HEARING. Dint neglect to consider that. Why is that important? Well, a hiking staff or a pair of poles is key to safely navigation of roots, rocks and narrow slippery trails and tired walking. That extra weight of the pack is devastating when you’re tired and not used to it.

Learning? Yep. Water is king. Water is heavy. Pack needs to be no sh1t 25-30#s. Keep your sleeping bag dry. Don’t wear boxers. Use supplementary kit for balance. Ticks will ride along. Poison ivy grows best where you want to take a dump (brought home a spot on me arse...it’s now a nice crop.). You eat less than you think in the woods. You drink more than you estimate when working hard.

Most important learning: you are more capable than you may think BUT this fella ain’t never dragging a fifty pound SHTF BAG home from any extreme distance. Even on flat roads, railroads or the like. Less is more in your bag and on your back; Marine son likes to say “ounces are pounds and pounds are pain.” He’s right. Ammo, water and food are heavy.

Get out and use your kit. Test yourself under controlled circumstances ...while you can.

There’s no substitute for using your kit. Try it, you’ll like it.

Get thee into the woods. You’ll get a lot more from it than you might imagine.

Be well. Stay safe. :thumbsup:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Cool report. I did a hiking trip 20 years ago. 40 miles in one week in Glacier National Park, Montana. I'm not in shape to do it now unless working up again.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Good report on what worked for you and what didn't. It's been close to 30 years since I've backpacked last and that was in the Grand Canyon
    I've been putting my grandson, 1 year old last week, in a hiking backpack and toting him around the fields and woods when he comes over and the weather cooperates. We're going to camp out in the barn or field when his brother is born in August, depends on rain forecast.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Hiking is a continual learning experience,
    - improving your processes and gear choices,
    - understanding your food/water/fuel consumption rates,
    - and understanding what your pack weight vs. travel speed is like.

Some years ago I hiked the western highland way in Scotland. Lesson learned there was hiking in October/November meant limited daylight hours, which impacted mileage per day. Add in a party member with an injury, requiring a healing/rest day, and the trip took 2 days longer than planned.

More recently visited Glacier National Park in Montana, doing ~20 miles/day in flatter sections and 13 miles/day on high elevation change days. Summertime meant more daylight hours, but high heat & low humidity meant high water consumption. At one point there was discussion underway about having to backtrack significantly to the last water source, as water had run out during a ridge ascent.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Sounds like a great, albeit challenging adventure.

My wife and I are big into backpacking, although it's been a while since we've gone. Our last trip was a 14 mile hike/ 4 day stay into the Grand Canyon with nothing but our packs. For me, hiking down slope for a long period proved the hardest... my right knee giving out about 7 miles in and had to straight-leg it the rest of the way in. Natural water springs made the hike relatively easy, although still very physically demanding.

We reached the CO river and hiked back up through Havasu Falls/ Havasupai. Easily THE most beautiful place I have ever been.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    The most important thing I learned about hiking: pumping water through that filtration device by hand takes forever and tiresome!

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    The most important thing I learned about hiking: pumping water through that filtration device by hand takes forever and tiresome!

Well, that can be helped somewhat through:

1) The pump I have has a wide plug on the outgoing hose. I matched wide-mouth nalgene bottles to this filter, so I can handle pumping alone if needed

2) If the intake hose plug is situated in muddy water or near sediment, then the pump will quickly get clogged up. Keeping the pumping easy, means keeping the intake plug in the clearest water available.

3) Pumping water takes a while, same as pumping up a tire with air. Working out early the best way to position yourself for the repetitive work, pays off soon enough.

oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    Also invaluable: Ensuring your gear is tight. Rattling gear is annoying, but I made the mistake of letting things be too loose and that swinging sure does become a pain. Totally agree with you that cutting down from 40 to 25lbs is the way to go

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I was first introduced to the rule that for a multi-day hike a pack weight between 1/4 to 1/3 of body weight is reasonable.

Less is better still for comfort, but not if taking on risk by cutting out safety measures (first aid kit, some backup food, clothes for inclement weather).

More is problematic since it increases risk of injury, while decreasing travel speed and enjoyment of the walk.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I'm not hiker but a few months ago picked up a weighted vest. It's only 20 pounds but I wear it from the time I get up until I shower in the evening. Unlike typical weight training it is hard to quantify the results/benefits but carrying an extra 20 for 14+- hours a day has got to be a good thing. Could see it being super beneficial for hikers.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There's not enough woods near at hand for "hiking" so I substitute by wandering around town and in the occasional park with a pair of dogs.

I've found that we manage 2.4 mph on more or less level ground, cutting back to 2 mph in the woods on trails. I've found that I sweat a lot when the humidity is over 70%; but that it does "sweat out the poisons" just like Grandpa used to say.

I've found that walking shoes don't offer much ankle support, especially after one has screwed up an ankle. I've found that a couple ibuprofen before setting out on a two hour walk helps with the ankle.

I've found that walking late at night is much more pleasant than during the day, temp-wise, and that walking behind a pair of 70# bull terriers can be rough on the shoulders, especially when we stumble upon urban deer herds, or especially dumpsters with rats. Also, weird people are less likely to hassle you late at night if you have a few pitbulls on a string.

I've found that my stamina has improved to the point that I don't notice hills much, except in descent, which is tough on the locomotive body parts - knees and ankles. The dogs would like to go all night; I usually try to keep it under 5 miles, as I'm older than they are.

Since the lockdown I've put on 20+ pounds, so I don't need to carry a pack. I often wish I carried water, but that creates the problem of what to do with it when it's done with me. My bladder has a 2 hr timer.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    There's not enough woods near at hand for "hiking" so I substitute by wandering around town and in the occasional park with a pair of dogs.

I've found that we manage 2.4 mph on more or less level ground, cutting back to 2 mph in the woods on trails. I've found that I sweat a lot when the humidity is over 70%; but that it does "sweat out the poisons" just like Grandpa used to say.

I've found that walking shoes don't offer much ankle support, especially after one has screwed up an ankle. I've found that a couple ibuprofen before setting out on a two hour walk helps with the ankle.

I've found that walking late at night is much more pleasant than during the day, temp-wise, and that walking behind a pair of 70# bull terriers can be rough on the shoulders, especially when we stumble upon urban deer herds, or especially dumpsters with rats. Also, weird people are less likely to hassle you late at night if you have a few pitbulls on a string.

I've found that my stamina has improved to the point that I don't notice hills much, except in descent, which is tough on the locomotive body parts - knees and ankles. The dogs would like to go all night; I usually try to keep it under 5 miles, as I'm older than they are.

Since the lockdown I've put on 20+ pounds, so I don't need to carry a pack. I often wish I carried water, but that creates the problem of what to do with it when it's done with me. My bladder has a 2 hr timer.
    ...it depends...

Yeah, age has many challenges. I think that attitude and staying active ...any kind of active, are key to quality of life.

Retirement generally means you have more time and less external direction.

My own dogs buoy my spirit and provide a first rate excuse/motivation to unarse the couch and do stuff.

Extended and or repeated sedentary stuff will stop your clock.

Continuing to find ways to take yet another bite out of life just seems like a positive thing to do.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My own dogs buoy my spirit and provide a first rate excuse/motivation to unarse the couch and do stuff.

Yeah, it's entirely possible that my dogs will have extended my life. Sedentary by inclination, unless theres a reason to get up and about. With everything locked down, where to go?

Fortunately, my great dog Lily died in Jan 2020; I was moved to get another, so as not to brood. Allegra was an energetic rescue, full of fizz, with a penchant for making up active games and an absolute need for exercise.

I doubt I'd have bothered to get off my rump for my own sake, but I had the obligation to provide the activity she needs to stay sane. So there it was . . . duty called.

After 10 months of this, for some reason wife and I started looking again at rescues, and found a good ol' boy in the pound in Charles County. Poor guy was scrawny, bedraggled, full of fleas and neglect, with toenails that were >2 inches long. Paid the shelter to do what had to be done, and brought him home around Thanksgiving. He'd just as soon lay in the sun as not, but he does enjoy our walks, and is definitely interested in the urban wildlife: deer, cats, rabbits and rats. About 3 yrs old and much more affectionate than Allegra, there was a fair bit of sibling rivalry going on, which has mostly been settled between them.

Dogs are a great gift to mankind, for which I'm daily grateful.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    ...it depends...

Yeah, age has many challenges. I think that attitude and staying active ...any kind of active, are key to quality of life.

Retirement generally means you have more time and less external direction.

Extended and or repeated sedentary stuff will stop your clock.

Continuing to find ways to take yet another bite out of life just seems like a positive thing to do.

Along with your original post, this bolded quote is completely my mantra. I think so many people just give up as they age.

I "test" myself multiple times a week. From hill running to sprints to lifting weights, I'm always trying to stay fit and functionally strong. Many people are living into their nineties. If I make it that far, I don't want to be glued to a chair or bed.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks Bob and SeaLion. I appreciate your input and outlook.

Covid has been the “cherry on top” for many folks view on health and happiness. Too often, we are one (next) shitty deal away from throwing in the towel.

Not unlike folks who are either realists or idealist, pragmatic or emotional, or however you want to juxtapose personalities and preferences...many of us are easily led away from health and happiness. Hell, who doesn’t like a good craft brew, Ben abd Jerrys or world class smoked ribs? Lounging around leading the life of Riley, that famed Irish drunk, has a certain appeal. More so when it seems that our shitty society and great country are together crumbling around us, more and more every day.

My raising included a healthy dose of the Colonel’s “survival is 90% mental...you gotta be strong to survive” speeches. Early and often he drilled that shit in. Having been one of eight, growing up during the depression and later an AllAmerican athlete and fighter (interceptor) pilot and combat FAC, I figured he just might know something about survival.

Sitting and worrying are sure quick trips to death’s door.

Lead, follow or GTF out of the way.

Life needs another bite taken out of it. You can do it...for yourself or you can sit back and make fun of the folks who do.

Take a hike. It’s an analogy. It’s also a euphemism.

Again, I thank y’all for seeing between the lines. BZ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom