• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Okay, I haven't bought a regulated firearm in Maryland since 2013 - and a lot has changed. I want a Dan Wesson .45 "Commander" - but I haven't settled on which one. I have a trip to Tennessee this Christmas where I have a private shooting area at my parents house. My plan is to run in my new .45 while I'm there.

I did my live scan on September 30. I have a DD214 so I'm training exempt (I don't know why, but I'll take it) and I submitted my HQL application - still unchecked on October 10th.

Local inventory appears to be pretty much wiped out - so I've been shopping around on-line. I'm going to need to get my HQL, find a gun I want to buy, make sure it's on the approved list (that is very confusing and inconsistent on how firearms are listed) find a dealer to do the transfer and have the paperwork sent, wait for delivery for the FFL, submit he 77R - wait for the 7+ days. I'm just glad I'm don't "Need" a gun - I just want another one. Hopefully I can take possession before my trip. I know MD is a blue state, but we've got to find a way to vote these people that want to take our rights away out.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You may be able to save a little time by making sure the gun you want is on the roster and then finding it online. Have it shipped to your FFL while you are waiting on the HQL. You will need to have the HQL in hand before starting the paperwork at your FFL. Might save you a couple weeks. I'd check with your FFL to make sure they will not mind holding it for you until your HQL comes in.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    What the whole process is easy peasy wheasy. Remember this keeps the bad guys from attaining firearms, you should be proud you are doing your part in protecting your community and little children through out the great state of Maryland.

Yeah, I know total BS, the bad guys can get a firearm faster than you can fill out half the forms.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Join MSI, doesn’t cost much and it’s enough to get an AGC range badge. I too have parents and family in TN and it’s nice to just set up targets in the back yard, and to have castle doctrine in the car even as an out of stater. I usually want to buy something when I’m there but the process of getting it transferred back here just seems like too much of a PITA so I don’t bother. I went through the HQL process this year and it was an eye opening and absurd journey. The best solution, which I’m seriously considering, is to move out there (to be near family, but gun laws and no income tax are a nice bonus).

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Join MSI, doesn’t cost much and it’s enough to get an AGC range badge. I too have parents and family in TN and it’s nice to just set up targets in the back yard, and to have castle doctrine in the car even as an out of stater. I usually want to buy something when I’m there but the process of getting it transferred back here just seems like too much of a PITA so I don’t bother. I went through the HQL process this year and it was an eye opening and absurd journey. The best solution, which I’m seriously considering, is to move out there (to be near family, but gun laws and no income tax are a nice bonus).

Yes! Join MSI. Join the fight. Every member bolsters the size of resistance.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    On behalf of MSRPA, I would like to invite you to participate in the joy that is the Maryland General Assembly. Senator Smith is planning on proposing extending the 77R 7-day wait to 30 days. Others are pushing on proposing that the transfer can't take place until MSP-LD finishes the background check (at *least* as long as the codified waiting period, but indefinite beyond that).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I just did the same exact thing as you. All in all, it took me 40 days to get my handgun (with the training exemption) I think what pisses me off above all else, is the anal probe back ground check to secure the HQL, and then having to wait 7 more f-ing days for another background check.

I was hoping I would be living in another state by the time I purchased my next handgun.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    [Kev308];6062990 said:
    I just did the same exact thing as you. All in all, it took me 40 days to get my handgun (with the training exemption) I think what pisses me off above all else, is the anal probe back ground check to secure the HQL, and then having to wait 7 more f-ing days for another background check.

I was hoping I would be living in another state by the time I purchased my next handgun.

I tell the story to my TN relatives and it usually goes like:
    me: So the big day came and I did the HQL class
    cousin: And then you can go get your handgun?
    me: No then I had to do the paperwork and wait a month to pass a background check.
    c: Then you’re good right?
    me: No then I had to wait for the actual card to arrive.
    c: Now you can take the card to the gun shop?
    me: Yeah but the gun wasn’t in stock so they ordered it. Week and a half later it arrives.
    c: Now you finally get to take it home.
    me: Not so fast, NOW I can fill out the 77r and wait another week. Then I can go pick it up.
    c: wtf - Didn’t you already go through a background check?
    me: *shrug* How long did it take you to get that FN you’re carrying?
    c: I saw a for sale notice online and I paid cash to a guy in the Arby’s parking lot.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    me: No then I had to do the paperwork and wait a month to pass a background check.
    me: Yeah but the gun wasn’t in stock so they ordered it. Week and a half later it arrives.
    me: Not so fast, NOW I can fill out the 77r and wait another week. Then I can go pick it up.
    c: I saw a for sale notice online and I paid cash to a guy in the Arby’s parking lot.
    :mad54:
    I'm about to pack my bags for Alaska. I`m so done with all the BS around here.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    On a different note; Being in Tenn. at Christmas with your Parents.....and having access to a private range. What I wouldn't give for that ! You are blessed, don't let the Maryland ass hats bother you. Imagine us who deal with this and not have my first sentence to offset our frustration.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.

Holy cow!
    I'm in Tennessee now. I've bought guns over the breakfast table in restaurants!
    It's possible that I may have to move back to Md. In the near future, for health reasons. I'm fighting that as long as possible.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Holy cow!
    I'm in Tennessee now. I've bought guns over the breakfast table in restaurants!
    It's possible that I may have to move back to Md. In the near future, for health reasons. I'm fighting that as long as possible.

I should have dropped a line while I was there, that was me who was inquiring about your collection for my cousins a couple months ato. Was busy helping out the folks but I did go through Cookeville a couple times and took my mom to a doctor appt there. I’ll be out there again in December or possibly sooner. I could definitely see relocating to Cookeville and becoming a regular at Father Tom’s or Red Silo.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    I should have dropped a line while I was there, that was me who was inquiring about your collection for my cousins a couple months ato. Was busy helping out the folks but I did go through Cookeville a couple times and took my mom to a doctor appt there. I’ll be out there again in December or possibly sooner. I could definitely see relocating to Cookeville and becoming a regular at Father Tom’s or Red Silo.

Sorry I missed you! I live just a few blocks from FT's & the Silo.
    It's looking like I'll still be here in December, give me a shout if you have time.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    [Kev308];6062990 said:

They are both the same background check of the exact same databases and information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom