Please define a sporting rifle vs an assult rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    A sporting rifle, as deemed by our government overlords, is one that lacks:

magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds
    bayonet lug
    threaded barrel
    flash suppressor
    pistol grip

As long as your rifle does not have those features, it is considered "sporting." That is why all of my rifles have at least one or more of those features :D

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm pretty sure it was the Nazis that coined the phrase "Assault Rifle" with their Sturmgewehr back in WWII.
    A term I'm sure they used to send fear into the enemy with their superior weapon technology.

Ironic, that the Sturmgewehr is not a regulated firearm and thus not an "assault weapon" in the eyes of MD law.

There are 2 venues to consider:

1. Federal: with regards to what may be imported, sporting weapons and assault weapons have some key areas which are used for the determination. These area's include magazine capacity, bayonet mounts, night sights, cartridge length, whether the weapon is a copy of a full automatic version of the weapon, etc. The actual determination is arbitrary and subject to interpretation by the ATF and Mr. Holder.

2. State: Maryland's law dictates that certain specific weapons and their copies are "assault weapons" and thus regulated. This list comprises about 40 weapons but identifies AK and AK variant weapons no less than 5 times if I remember correct. They love to hate on the AK platform. What is or is not regulated is not entirely clear, but suffice it to say, it has been debated too many times here.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Simple:

bbl-shroudfull.jpg

11Bravo

NRA Lifer
    Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona the land of the FREE
    find me something in the constitution that says something about sporting or non sporting firearms

It is very clear based on the fact that the 2A was put in place as a direct result of the Revolutionary war that the founding father had no SPORTING intent in mind. Arms in those days meant Rifle AND cannon and you sure as hell dont hunt with cannon, Well atleast not legally

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Attachments

• deer1.jpg
      deer1.jpg
      23.5 KB · Views: 73

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    It is very clear based on the fact that the 2A was put in place as a direct result of the Revolutionary war that the founding father had no SPORTING intent in mind. Arms in those days meant Rifle AND cannon and you sure as hell dont hunt with cannon, Well atleast not legally

my point was the whole "sporting or non-sporting gun" is nonesense

the founders could of done w better job w/ the 2nd amendment, of course the biggest problem is our society is completely change from the days of the founders

for them firearms was a fact of every day life, you had to hunt no safeways or haris teeter's, you had to protect yourself from bad guys or indians, and you had to have the means to revolt against a king.... today many people live a life where they will never incounter a gun, or own gun or hold a gun infact many of these people think guns are something a cop has or a bad guy or a action star on tv.... and today it's not PC to talk about having the ability to overthrow a gov....

this is why the 2 amendment DOES NOT ring true for so many people.... they think/believe we don't need a gun or we don't want THOSE people to have a gun..... we could argue as to why for months but that's teh biggest problem

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    It's like the difference between a gun collection and a "cache" of firearms. (One of the media's favorite terms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom