• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Six years ago had a new Rheem heat pump installed by a small Harford County HVAC company. Yesterday they replaced my evaporator coil under warranty but charged me $300.00 for labor. I was happy with that charge. System hadn't been blowing much cold air and they said the evaporator coil was only 1/3 working.

New evaporator coil is aluminum not copper.

So which is better, aluminum or copper and what causes part of a coil to become blocked?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Awesome. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I actually was able to see it on the "app"...

Basically with thermostat set at 75 during the day, and 73 at night, here's what I found...

I have no idea if my kWh price is correct, or how it even got entered, lol, but mine says it used 15kwh Sunday, and 18 kwh yesterday...

Your electric bill has what you are paying for kWh, on the screen before that one or one more there is a line to put in what you pay and that will make the dollar amount accurate, in my case I pay .08 cents kWh.
    Last 2 days I used 6 kWh and 7 kWh keeping house at 73, I do have the Infinity 20 which is a little more efficient than yours.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    :D and there is that :thumbsup: Good luck in getting it running or replacing . Too hot to be dealing with that crap .

Thank you. I am good. With some advice & guidance from our fellow MDShooter's, I have a complete Carrier Infinity setup now...outside unit, air handler and thermostat installed back on May 8th of this year. :party29:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Your electric bill has what you are paying for kWh, on the screen before that one or one more there is a line to put in what you pay and that will make the dollar amount accurate, in my case I pay .08 cents kWh.
    Last 2 days I used 6 kWh and 7 kWh keeping house at 73, I do have the Infinity 20 which is a little more efficient than yours.

Gotcha. I didn't look at that yet. :thumbsup:

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I had a Carrier Infinity system installed by H&C in Laurel recently. My electric bills are only 2/3 of what they were this time last year. The humidity in the house is much lower too and I no longer need to run a dehumidifier. The system wasn't cheap, but I'm quite pleased with it so far. Watching the system use just over a dollar a day in electricity and be so much cooler/drier is just crazy to see.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I had a Carrier Infinity system installed by H&C in Laurel recently. My electric bills are only 2/3 of what they were this time last year. The humidity in the house is much lower too and I no longer need to run a dehumidifier. The system wasn't cheap, but I'm quite pleased with it so far. Watching the system use just over a dollar a day in electricity and be so much cooler/drier is just crazy to see.

No doubt! :thumbsup:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

I love those guys!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD

Boggles my mind too, amazing how little electricity these systems use and how comfortable the house is. These last 2 days with the incredibly high humidity really makes me appreciate the system.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Well....

16 weeks in.

9:58pm last night, got an email from my thermostat, LOL.... :lol2:

URGENT MESSAGE

Of course, I didn't see it until this morning...

Fault Code: 196
    Auxiliary Input (G) Shutdown

As I said in the beginning, I'm a truck mechanic, not an AC guy, so Google is my friend...just didn't have time for that before leaving for work.

Appears the condensate pan water level is too high, so it tripped the sensor. Probable cause, according to Google, is clogged drain hose...

There is no "drain" on the actual "pan" that collects excess water though...which I thought didn't make much sense?

Just sharing, as I am calling the installer this morning regardless, because they plumbed the entire drain setup

Attachments

• AC PROBLEM SCREEN.jpg
      AC PROBLEM SCREEN.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 105
    • ac3.jpg
      ac3.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 102
    • ac email.jpg
      ac email.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 101

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I had a problem with my first Lennox system I had back in 95. Seemed there was an issue with the metal drain pans where there would be flaking and the flakes clogged the drain line. Back then there was no shutoff for the pan only for the condensate pump. Had a nice overflow issue until pan replaced. Where is your pvc line draining to?

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Where is your pvc line draining to?

The pvc line goes over, roughly 3 feet, directly into the sump pump.
    That's all brand new, installed at time of air handler install.

As soon as they opened, I called Perry Hall Heating & Air, which is who did the install. They said they're sending someone out between 12 and 5 today.

I'm sure I could have popped off that little "cleanout" cap, and used a shop vac and/or air hose, but...who knows for sure, if that's the issue?

Will update after they come and go.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    AC guy called and arrived early....

PVC drain was clogged already...

He vacuumed it out, and said we'd have to run the fan (and dehumidifier) for a few days, to get the dampness out of the actual unit. It had backed up in the PVC tube, then it kind of overflows into the pan below...

I guess when I change air filters, I'll go ahead and shop vac the pvc tube out as preventative maintenance

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    AC guy called and arrived early....

PVC drain was clogged already...

He vacuumed it out, and said we'd have to run the fan (and dehumidifier) for a few days, to get the dampness out of the actual unit. It had backed up in the PVC tube, then it kind of overflows into the pan below...

I guess when I change air filters, I'll go ahead and shop vac the pvc tube out as preventative maintenance

Ask them to install an EZ Trap. The trap is clear so you can see the slime piling up plus it has a pop off cap and a little bottle brush to clean it out. I’m surprised they didn’t install one initially unless the guy didn’t have one in his truck.

Attachments

• B0B3B588-1A74-4E3E-8351-5189EA5364AE.jpeg
      B0B3B588-1A74-4E3E-8351-5189EA5364AE.jpeg
      15.8 KB · Views: 75

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    At least it was something easy, my drain is 40 feet long, my AC guy drops some type of tablets in the drain twice a year to keep drain clear, its probably bleach or something like that. Kind of cool your t-stat told you about it.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    At least it was something easy, my drain is 40 feet long, my AC guy drops some type of tablets in the drain twice a year to keep drain clear, its probably bleach or something like that. Kind of cool your t-stat told you about it.

The email is what gave me a surprise.
    Never got an email from a t-stat before, LOL. :D

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

I dump a cup of bleach in the drain pipes a couple times during the summer months. Very good/easy preventive maintenance. I also run my air handler fan 24/7 which helps keep things dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom