• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ENDuRUN

Jun 13, 2021
    Dry Beans and rice. Started keeping ~25 lbs of dry beans and 25lbs of brown rice in my pantry rotation which is a pretty simple process. Beans and rice doesn't constitute complete protein, but pretty close. 1lb of beans and 1lb of rice is about ~2000 calories. This is something I just regularly do now.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Saw these the other day. Has anyone tried them?

Attachments

• 61AC856C-C542-47F5-B0D3-9084425EC9FD.jpg
      61AC856C-C542-47F5-B0D3-9084425EC9FD.jpg
      111.1 KB · Views: 409
    • 29D2CE25-AB07-4A0F-BD87-660045233CEF.jpg
      29D2CE25-AB07-4A0F-BD87-660045233CEF.jpg
      121 KB · Views: 418

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Saw these the other day. Has anyone tried them?

What is it?

The purpose of this ration is to provide an alternative operational training meal in lieu of "sack lunches" and catered commercial meals to organizations that engage in inactive duty training (IDT) for usage in situations where employment of traditional operational ration meals is not mandated. The TOTM became available on May 2001. This effort is being executed to promote doctrine requirements and the "train as you fight" philosophy, while meeting the customers' budgetary needs. As a training tool, this meal will aid units in gaining familiarity with the preparation, usage, consumption, and disposal of a pre-packed meal similar to the Meal, Ready-to-Eat (MRE). This meal is similar to the standard MRE in packaging and contains many of the same components. However, it employs commercial packaging to reduce costs. The TOTM is not an MRE, nor is it designed to take the place of the MRE. The Tailored Operational Training Meal (TOTM) is a totally self-contained packet consisting of a meal packed in a flexible meal bag that is lightweight and fits easily into military field clothing pockets. There are 3 sets of menus available (see menu descriptions below). Each set is comprised of twelve menus. There are twelve meals per case. The TOTM may also be easily adapted for disaster relief efforts. The net weight per case is approximately 20 lbs. and .95 cubic feet, while each pallet weighs approximately 1,023 lbs. and is approximately 52.7 cubic feet.

What's in it?

This ration employs many of the same components as the MRE. Menus typically contain a MRE entree, wet-pack fruit, a beverage base, flameless heater, dining kit, and other assorted components. The contents of one TOTM meal bag provide an average of 997 calories.

Shelf life is much shorter. Designed for 18 months cool, 12 months at 80F.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    GoalZero

I have used this little solar charging system when camping and hunting. I used the 12 VDC side to even trickle charge a boat battery.

Attachments

• 20210615_185423.jpg
      20210615_185423.jpg
      184.5 KB · Views: 338
    • 20210615_185622.jpg
      20210615_185622.jpg
      114.8 KB · Views: 345

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The Walmart in Georgetown, DE had a selection of MRE's last night on the shelf. Don't recall the brand, or ever seeing (never thought of looking) any MRE's there before.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    That and most of the young troops don't know what a P38

They were part of our C-Rats in our life rafts with canned water. Use to shake the water if it shook it was OK if it did not make noise it was bad. It was nasty stuff anyway.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Hell I'm not even 40 and I've got John Wayne's stashed all over and in every bag. I bought a bunch in bulk years ago and put em everywhere. Never know when you'll need to open a can of hash!

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Added a new flint and striker fire starter,
    8 more (mixed manufacturer) 2 person meals,
    14 more MRE's, "rotated oldest to the top newest to the bottom",
    Purchased a tactical walking stick, it has hollow sections, I am filling with GO products, First aid, small fire starter, roll of wire, Emer. blanket, pencil and roll of paper, thus far

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I've been cleaning up the garage to make more storage space and slowly filling it in with useful prep items. Since last year, I've wanted to lay in a really good stock of TP, but it is so damned bulky. I've started picking up 100 pack bags of compressible towelette tabs (just add a little water and they basically turn into a compostable wet wipe). Can store lots of those in a plastic tub for a true TP emergency... not quite Angle Soft, but better than a corn-cob. Also making a spare well bailer this weekend, just because. Have gotten some rubber sheeting for a check-valve, and the rest is just PVC tubing/end cap, a bolt, and a couple of nuts and washers. Also ordering a 100 count of empty sand bags. Hope to God I will never need them, but... you never know. Could serve double duty as flood prevention as well as securing sliding glass doors or making a defensive position.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I've been cleaning up the garage to make more storage space and slowly filling it in with useful prep items. Since last year, I've wanted to lay in a really good stock of TP, but it is so damned bulky. I've started picking up 100 pack bags of compressible towelette tabs (just add a little water and they basically turn into a compostable wet wipe). Can store lots of those in a plastic tub for a true TP emergency... not quite Angle Soft, but better than a corn-cob.

I've seen those before but till now didn't think much of them , Your right you can store a lot in a relatively small area compared to TP, If you have a attic it makes a good place to store lots of TP.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Those shelves will sag over time.

You need to add cross bracing.

Shelves have been there for three months - they are doing fine. U-Line builds good stuff.

Not really prepping items, just supplies for the boat but I guess some of it might prove useful in a tight spot.

Attachments

• 209624819_10226209618015593_8170122998529375973_n.jpg
      209624819_10226209618015593_8170122998529375973_n.jpg
      110.3 KB · Views: 312

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Not necessarily a prep item I bought, but I created a spreadsheet to inventory the items I have purchased. It's a way for me to track what I have purchased and expiration dates. Over the years, I have bought things and I've forgotten what stuff I've got and when. Heck, I'm not even sure where I put some stuff, so I've added a location column.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom