• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I like the 1911 as much as the next guy...but I don't think they should be moving backwards...

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I like the 1911 as much as the next guy...but I don't think they should be moving backwards...
    :thumbsup:

Keep in mind the Marines are also still buying M16s. :rolleyes:

Side arms are so inconsequential on today's battle it probably doesn't matter, I guess they are just sticking with what has worked for them in the past. Having spent several years in joint service and many years as a civilian working with all branches I've noticed the Marines spend a lot of time trying to differentiate themselves from the ARMY. It's a Royal PITA for them when they need to visit clothing issue. But regarding the 1911A1s, there have been more modern, lighter and higher capacity alternates available for years.

Whatever keeps the troops happy... buy 'em pink berets if that's what they want!

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    If the Naval Special Warfare Command, aka SEALS, wanted 1911s, would you have an issue? From what I gather all we are doing is replacing USN with USMC.

I'd question anyone's judgement who requested outdated weapons. As stated, there are other weapons better suited to the demand. Not my fight so oh well.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm not a 1911 guy, but if the 1911 is favored by the FBI HRT, I suspect there's a reason. If anything, I'm a little surprised the USMC didn't go with the same gun the FBI issues.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I'm not a 1911 guy, but if the 1911 is favored by the FBI HRT, I suspect there's a reason. If anything, I'm a little surprised the USMC didn't go with the same gun the FBI issues.

The original FBI gun did not have a rail. SA now sells at least to the public, a version with a rail. I do not know if the FBI is buying the railed version.

FBI uses Springfield's. Maybe there is a DOD prohibition on buying guns with parts made in Brazil?

Just guessing.

Back in the early '60s the US Army couldn't get a M60 variant to function right on a tank, and they bought FN MAG's, made in Belgium.

Not sure if there have been any domestic content law changes since then.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Marines, especially MARSOC, has a bad habit of listening to their shooters and valuing their input and recommendations since these guys are the very tip of the USMC spear.

Godforbid, the should do the same old same old and let some rear echelon, feather merchant in Potomac Asylum for the Militarily Insane pick and choose the equipment based on the lowesr bidder that meets the specs of th RFP.

I don't know if this a dupe thread but it gives me a eerie sense of deja vu

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I never understoon the 1911 haters...it's a great gun, easy to shoot and proven... I guess they could use sig p220 or hk 45's. if they want 1911's let em have them

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    smh, 1911s are cool but why digress ? why not just retro fit all the armed services with modern .45's and be done with it. fnp .45s standard for troops and fnp .45 tacts for special operators.i think it fits most milspec guidelines ( could be wrong though) low weight, size efficient, still double/single, has a safety, highest capacity .45 out there right now. the list goes on. just my oppion though.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I never understood the 1911 haters...it's a great gun, easy to shoot and proven...

It's not about hating. I love mine. I just don't get the G sometimes. As stated, there are many other choices for that caliber with better records. While we are at it...maybe we should bring back the BAR :)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Whatever happened to the Joint Service Pistol program that would move the sidearm back to .45 ACP?

I am on the fence... I know pistols like the HK45, USP .45, FNP-45 and Glock 21 would make great sidearms.

However at this year's JSOH at Andrews Joint Base I spent a few minutes chatting with some MARSOC Marines. I saw a Colt 1911-A1 (WWII vintage) frame with SA slide and all the bells and whistles those of you who are familiar with these guns would come to expect.

The 1911 is a great platform. I would love to see a return to the .45 ACP cartridge if our troops can't use good JHP ammo. However, I think the added capacity and lightweight materials of modern pistols (such as those mentioned above) should be considered. Run the modernized 1911s against any contenders if another JSP-style contract was proposed.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Marines, especially MARSOC, has a bad habit of listening to their shooters and valuing their input and recommendations since these guys are the very tip of the USMC spear.

Godforbid, the should do the same old same old and let some rear echelon, feather merchant in Potomac Asylum for the Militarily Insane pick and choose the equipment based on the lowesr bidder that meets the specs of th RFP.

I don't know if this a dupe thread but it gives me a eerie sense of deja vu

It was discussed a few months back in the Handgun section, don't know if that thread got nuked, but I distinctly remember it being discussed a short while back.

ETA: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=76900&highlight=Marines+1911

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom