• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am willing to bet that 99% of the people that carry on this forum either have a Glock or a Sig and claim they rarely, if ever, have a failure. But just in case, they carry an extra magazine.

You can never win in a forum.

BTW...youtube has plenty of single magazine drills...just look them up.

Single mag drills. Yet another thing most people won't practice.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Interesting discussion.

One solution:

another alternative to carrying a spare mag(s); a backup gun:

DSC06148.JPG

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    When I carry, in the states that I can carry in, I typically wear my 5.11 tac pants. I always have ~30 rounds on me. So with my .45, its the weapon + 2 magazines. Typically its a 1v1 style confrontation if you have it, but what happens after you down your target, reload and search and traverse... only to find more targets? That's the main reason I carry more than 1 mag.

So: With the 9mm: 2 Mags, 17 each
    .40/.357SIG: 2 Mags, 15 each
    .45: 3 mags, 10 each
    .45 (1911), 3 mags, 8 each.

Everything is also carried Mag + 1 for max efficiency. Being a big guy I am lucky enough to be able to carry my fullsizes without printing with an IWB Holster, fits perfectly actually :D

Back to the OP. If I am using the IWB, the mags are in the 2 pouches built in to the pants. If I am OC, or using the SERPA, I'll typically put a kydex mag holder on the other side. With alot of my polo's and button downs They cover the holster and the mags. Just how I do it (In places I can anyway)

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    With a lot of my polo's and button downs They cover the holster and the mags. Just how I do it (In places I can anyway)

I normally wear company tee shirts in the summer and long sleeve button down shirts in the winter. (The long sleeve shirts are no problem for an IWB holster. But with the tee shirts, I have to be extra careful not to print. And I don't like that.

I just yesterday, ordered a couple of embroidered, polo style, uniform shirts. If I like them, I'll get three more.

It's going to be hard getting used to not tucking them in. (I even tuck in Hawaiian shirts and football jerseys!) Walking around with my shirt hanging out is (was) just not me. But I'll get used to it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I got some nice Hawaiian-style shirts at Target for $10 each on sale. Great pattern for hiding my gun and comfy, too. Beware the guy who doesn't tuck in his shirt. Cold weather carry is easy. Summer's not so much.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    living here in Va, I always carry at least 1 xtra mag, sometimes in a mag carrier on the belt sometimes IWB mag carrier or if I'm wearing cargo's in a mag pocket... I love the knife case ideal ...going to steal that.... to me if you are going to carry a gun you NEED to carry another mag... I also carry xtra mags in my truck in a "oh shit" bag... but again in Va I can legaly do this

Mr H

Banana'd
    I got some nice Hawaiian-style shirts at Target for $10 each on sale. Great pattern for hiding my gun and comfy, too. Beware the guy who doesn't tuck in his shirt. Cold weather carry is easy. Summer's not so much.

I'm a tucker too, and I found a decent and affordable IWB from cheaperthandirt.com thbat allows full tuck-in coverage.

That allows me to mix it up a little when I can carry.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I find "tucking" makes my gut look bigger :D

In reality, I usually tuck my t-shirt, but since I spent years in the Corps with the "blouse" I am used to / comfortable with my "tails hanging out"

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I just yesterday, ordered a couple of embroidered, polo style, uniform shirts. If I like them, I'll get three more.

My experience is that polo shirts tend to cling to any protrusion and therefore they don't conceal very well unless they're a few sizes too big. Now a short sleeved button-up shirt is a very different matter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Years ago I had a "Golf Shirt" w/ LFI logo (subtle enough to not scream gun) .

It concealed very well . But considering the source , he may have selected to fabric on purpose with carry in mind..

While not quite as good as the Dickies Camp Shirtd from a few yrs ago , I did recently get several Puritan square tail sport shirts from Wally World, both solid color and flowered.

True Hawaii shirts are made of thin rayon. These are made of medium-ish cotton material ( what you want for summer carry). I still cruise the yard sales and thrift stores for the Dickies Camp Shirts.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    As I understand it, carrying an extra mag - in plain sight - is okay, even if you are restricted to concealed carry of the firearm, itself. But here's my thought on it...

If the magazine is in plain sight, wouldn't that give a paranoid "concerned citizen" (or a bored LEO) cause too look more closely at you for any sign of "printing" (of the handgun)?

I mean; basically, by wearing an extra mag or two on your belt, in plain sight, doesn't that pretty much "let the cat out of the bag"?

Right now, I'm carrying my extra mag in my left back pocket. But I don't really like that because it still "prints". Not to mention, I have to wonder about what effects constantly sitting on will eventually have on the magazine over time.

Am I over thinking this?
    bored LEO

Pray-tell my friend what alternate universe do you live in?
    Eddie O

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    this is being over thought IMO. Want to carry concealed? Put the mag in your pocket. Go about your business. This whole printing thing is way overblown as well. People are walking around with phones, Leathermans, flashlights, and a myriad of other crap. No one is trying to figure out what's in your pocket with the possible exception of Mae West.

There is no printing statute in MD anyway. Get your permit, carry as you wish. You aren't being scrutinized as closely as you imagine. Most folks are so absorbed in their own little world they never notice. Heck, I OC in VA and no one even sees my pistol most of the time. They are just not looking.

When you get your permit, just go about your business. You'll be fine.

My .02 which is worth 0

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    There is no printing statute in MD anyway. Get your permit, carry as you wish. You aren't being scrutinized as closely as you imagine. Most folks are so absorbed in their smartphones they never notice. Heck, I OC in VA and no one even sees my pistol most of the time. They are just not looking.

When you get your permit, just go about your business. You'll be fine.

My .02 which is worth 0

Fixed it for you :innocent0

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I must have dumb phone. I can call people, text and take crappy pictures.. That's it. I love it. Cost me 30 bucks at Verizon.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    I must have dumb phone. I can call people, text and take crappy pictures.. That's it. I love it. Cost me 30 bucks at Verizon.

oh me too but it amuses me to watch people walk into other people or objects because they can't take their nose out of their phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom