• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • realjoecool

MDS Supporter
    Aug 6, 2012
    Hello all,
    So I joined last month, but this is my first post. Yesterday at the range I did something stupid, I put 3 inch 410 shell in my governor handgun and could not get them out. I was humbled to say the least. I had never loaded 410 shells in it before and did not notice that they were too big. The staff was polite, but certainly annoyed as I asked for help while in the process came out of the shooting area with the gun "loaded" so to speak (completely breaking range ettiquete. For that I apologized, stating that there were unchambered rounds and that the gun could not fire, nor could the cylinder rotate. Long story short, they were unable to help, but when I got the gun home, I cleared it within a minute. So I was humbled, but could take comfort that only my pride was injured and not anyone else or my gun. I am relatively new to guns (about a year), but have been an enthusiastic learner, now with several options in my armory. Overconfidence and ignorance were both contributing to the situation. So just a reminder about the range, leave any loaded firearm inside and come out without the gun and ask for help.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 284

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hello all,
    So I joined last month, but this is my first post. Yesterday at the range I did something stupid, I put 3 inch 410 shell in my governor handgun and could not get them out. I was humbled to say the least. I had never loaded 410 shells in it before and did not notice that they were too big. The staff was polite, but certainly annoyed as I asked for help while in the process came out of the shooting area with the gun "loaded" so to speak (completely breaking range ettiquete. For that I apologized, stating that there were unchambered rounds and that the gun could not fire, nor could the cylinder rotate. Long story short, they were unable to help, but when I got the gun home, I cleared it within a minute. So I was humbled, but could take comfort that only my pride was injured and not anyone else or my gun. I am relatively new to guns (about a year), but have been an enthusiastic learner, now with several options in my armory. Overconfidence and ignorance were both contributing to the situation. So just a reminder about the range, leave any loaded firearm inside and come out without the gun and ask for help.

Takes a stand up person to admit wrongdoing and apologize. Learning experience and no injuries.

Welcome aboard sir.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum.

Remember that transporting the firearm from the range to your home "loaded" may be illegal. Even if the gun could not fire. INAL but always recomend finding a safe way to clear the firearm for safe transport.

Lesson learned, always verify that the ammo you are loading fits your firearm.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Welcome from Eastern Shore MD.

By being fothright, you may have just helped someone who may have not known that!

Last edited:

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    Welcome from Frederick County.

A lesson learned early is a good thing. A seasoned shooter with bad habits is harder to correct than someone new to the sport.

realjoecool

MDS Supporter
    Aug 6, 2012
    On Target in Odenton,
    Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Welcome from the shore.

Glad you and revolver are OK.

We all get ahead of ourselves sometimes. Don't beat yourself up over it.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I was in a gunsmith shop in Pa and a man was picking up his governor. The plastic hull and brass base seperated on fireing and the hull went into the forceing cone jamming the cylinder. Hull was a clear/white color, dont know the brand. YMMV. :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    By admitting a mistake and that you have some learning to do puts you ahead of many folks I've seen at public ranges. Firearms should always bring out humility in the proper hands. Congrats on a safe learning experience, and welcome to the forum.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Welcome. You'll find that most gun folks are more understanding and polite than many 'non-gun-folks'.

By the way, they do make a 3" judge, so you can shoot the longer rounds and the smaller (more common) stuff.

Good for you, and again welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Live and Learn, you got some valuable experience there.

Could you not have used something to push them out from the other end of cylinder?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Live and Learn, you got some valuable experience there.

Could you not have used something to push them out from the other end of cylinder?

Crimps stuck out past the cylinder locking it up much like improperly crimped magnum loads are known to do. He probably had to trim the offending shotshells to open the cylinder.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom