• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suleiman

Feb 11, 2011
    Indian Head
    I bought a few 30rd Pmags at the Chantilly show and I intend to put on ranger plates for the Tacti-cool appearance.
    Would putting the new baseplates be considered Manufacturing a 30rd magazine? If so, is it also a problem taking them appart to clean them and then reassemble them?
    I am just curious of how specific the legalities are. I do not expect to bump into any legal trouble in my workshop.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I bought a few 30rd Pmags at the Chantilly show and I intend to put on ranger plates for the Tacti-cool appearance.
    Would putting the new baseplates be considered Manufacturing a 30rd magazine? If so, is it also a problem taking them appart to clean them and then reassemble them?
    I am just curious of how specific the legalities are. I do not expect to bump into any legal trouble in my workshop.

My advice is that you delete your thread and do what you want with your mags and keep it to yourself.

Suleiman

Feb 11, 2011
    Indian Head
    I have no intention of doing anything illegal. If I get feedback saying this is illegal, I'll just bring these with me next time I visit my brother across the bridge. I am just curious as to how specific the laws are?
    Are the Anti-tilt followers into standard USGI mags also a problem?

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    I have no intention of doing anything illegal. If I get feedback saying this is illegal, I'll just bring these with me next time I visit my brother across the bridge. I am just curious as to how specific the laws are?

I believe it is legal to disassemble for cleaning, and as long as your modifications do not increase capacity you should be g2g on that too
    I am not a lawyer

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    just make sure when you modify them you are outside the md state lines

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As long as you do not have a net increase in the # of 30 rd mags by swapping parts you haven't manufactured anything.
    Disagree. By removing the base plate, it is no longer a magazine, but instead just parts. By putting a new one in, he has manufactured a magazine. In other words, you DID increase the number of 30rd magazines, because you decreased it by one moments earlier.

I would perform this operation in VA if you care about the legality of it.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    How is this any different than taking apart a firearm and changing parts? It's still the same gun. You haven't made a new one. I see no problem. Or to use the cliche line: I think the authorities have better things to worry about.

*I'm not a lawyer, just an opinionated young whippersnapper.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I don't really understand the point of this debate. Is there any way that anyone, LEO or not, in any state, would be able to tell you replaced a part on a magazine? How would they prove you didn't buy it that way? How would they prove, even if you admitted to changing a part, that you did it within the state? Why would they care in the first place?

Disagree. By removing the base plate, it is no longer a magazine, but instead just parts. By putting a new one in, he has manufactured a magazine. In other words, you DID increase the number of 30rd magazines, because you decreased it by one moments earlier.

So if I replace the spring in a 30 round mag I broke the law? I don't buy that, and again, even if I did, in what scenario could it possibly matter?

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    how can you manufacture something that is already manufactured? i didnt manufacture my car engine when i modified it.

unless you live in a see threw house no one can prove sh*t. do you really think maryland will kick in your door for a baseplate. while your at it dont dare drive 56mph on 695 or 66mph on 95.

Feb 6, 2012
    One person advised swapping the parts in VA, I second that. While I do not know exactly if it is legal or not to do that here, I would not want to take any chances on it. Also, delete this thread.

Suleiman

Feb 11, 2011
    Indian Head
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=29.03.01.30.htm

I just wanted to spark a discussion on this topic.

The Battered Gun Owner Syndrome is strong in this thread.

That's pretty accurate. How muddled are the laws that this sort of question is even a question. I suppose it all comes down to semantics right?

If I replace base plates or followers, that shouldn't be considered manufacture right? It's a modification, but I wouldn't say it is Manufacture.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=29.03.01.30.htm

I just wanted to spark a discussion on this topic.

That's pretty accurate. How muddled are the laws that this sort of question is even a question. I suppose it all comes down to semantics right?

If I replace base plates or followers, that shouldn't be considered manufacture right? It's a modification, but I wouldn't say it is Manufacture.

CORRECT nothing you did made it high capacity PERIOD

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Sounds like a "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" discussion. :innocent0

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Are you manufacturing or repairing????

:)

The line is awfully blurry.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    How is this any different than taking apart a firearm and changing parts? It's still the same gun. You haven't made a new one. I see no problem. Or to use the cliche line: I think the authorities have better things to worry about.

*I'm not a lawyer, just an opinionated young whippersnapper.

Hey, what if you change receivers and nothing else?

Would it be the same gun??? ATF would say NO.

What if you modify it to be full auto?

Is that manufacturing a machine gun? ATF would say YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom