• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rnguy001

Apr 4, 2020
    Hi everyone. I tried to search and couldn't find the answer, I could use your advice please.

My HQL is processing as of today. I know it'll probably take between 21-30 days but in that time can I still purchase a handgun online and have it shipped to my FFL, knowing I will only be able to come in once the HQL arrives and then I would go in, fill out the paperwork and wait the 7 day background check period?

in other words, would the dealer be able to hold the firearm for me until the HQL arrives. I'd rather not have to wait until my HQL arrives, THEN put in the order, THEN wait for the gun to ship etc etc.. if the gun could ship to the FFL while my HQL is processing, I figured I could at least combine the wait times..

I know it's a question for the dealer which I intend to ask in the morning but just curious to your experiences

thanks in advance

george g.

Jan 11, 2009
    Edgemere
    You can buy online and ship to a dealer, if the dealer is willing to hold the gun for the entire time.Technically you are not the owner til the paperwork is done, the dealer will be the owner.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hi everyone. I tried to search and couldn't find the answer, I could use your advice please.

My HQL is processing as of today. I know it'll probably take between 21-30 days but in that time can I still purchase a handgun online and have it shipped to my FFL, knowing I will only be able to come in once the HQL arrives and then I would go in, fill out the paperwork and wait the 7 day background check period?

in other words, would the dealer be able to hold the firearm for me until the HQL arrives. I'd rather not have to wait until my HQL arrives, THEN put in the order, THEN wait for the gun to ship etc etc.. if the gun could ship to the FFL while my HQL is processing, I figured I could at least combine the wait times..

I know it's a question for the dealer which I intend to ask in the morning but just curious to your experiences

thanks in advance

Most dealers will be perfectly fine with this, but you should make sure to check with them first, just to be safe. I know the guys at United have no problem with it, so long as you give them a heads up.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You can buy online and ship to a dealer, if the dealer is willing to hold the gun for the entire time.Technically you are not the owner til the paperwork is done, the dealer will be the owner.

This! Need to make sure the FFL will accept the “transfer” and make sure you know what the fee is. Since your “new” here why don’t you try to support one of our IPs? Check the IP map in the header for one near you and call them to see if they can get what you want.

Don’t forget to introduce yourself.

Kalinka63

Dieu et mon droit
    I went to bass pro today to order and pay for a gun and told him that I do not have the HQL yet. Salesman said that they can’t sell it to me, I made it clear to him that I was not expecting to take it away until I get the permit but he said that they require a control number and a pin number in order to release the gun. Called Bass Pro and their customer support said that I can order without the permit, so I ordered online.

First post!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I went to bass pro today to order and pay for a gun and told him that I do not have the HQL yet. Salesman said that they can’t sell it to me, I made it clear to him that I was not expecting to take it away until I get the permit but he said that they require a control number and a pin number in order to release the gun. Called Bass Pro and their customer support said that I can order without the permit, so I ordered online.

First post!

I've heard that Bass Pro won't even take a handgun out of the case to show it to you unless you provide your HQL

Kalinka63

Dieu et mon droit
    Bass apparently cancelled the online order. Oddly here is nothing to enter HQL information when ordering and thus no way for them to know whether or not I have an HQL. I’m going to call to see what went on

On a happy note, I was at United Gun on Saturday and the salesman pointed to a large amount of inventory bought by people waiting for their HQLs

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Bass apparently cancelled the online order. Oddly here is nothing to enter HQL information when ordering and thus no way for them to know whether or not I have an HQL. I’m going to call to see what went on

On a happy note, I was at United Gun on Saturday and the salesman pointed to a large amount of inventory bought by people waiting for their HQLs

United is good people. Also close by is Engage Armament ... Carlos and Andy are stand up guys!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

First post!

You would experience this with many FFL's, although some may be willing but I would call ahead. In the act of selling you a firearm, most also start the paperwork. No HQL = No paperwork.

Also, even after HQL is approved, you will need to wait until you get it in the mail. For me this was about 10 days after the approval notice.

Now ordering online to a dealer and having them hold it, is a different story.

Some may be willing to do this. But to assume you can walk into any gun shop and pay for the gun without an HQL is def a reach.

All that said, support a local gun shop. Bass Pro doesn't have any great deals so really no reason to shop their.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Bass Pro has always been a wreck. They must keep finding new customers, because I'm pretty sure nobody uses them twice. (They took my order, lost the paperwork, then didn't want to refund my money because "we don't do gun refunds".)

Local FFL's have their own rules. Ask around. I'm sure a few would be happy to help you out and make a new customer at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom